Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Jump Start advice

Hutton

Garage
Country Flag
scotland
I haven't had a vehicle with two batteries before and so was looking for advice about the connections for jump leads as I don't want to fry anything. I'm also looking to buy a suitable set of jump leads so any recommendations would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I haven't had a vehicle with two batteries before and so was looking for advice about the connections for jump leads as I don't want to fry anything. I'm also looking to buy a suitable set of jump leads so any recommendations would be appreciated.
You won’t fry anything, just think of them as one 12 volt battery, as they are connected together, so you could connect to positive on one battery and negative on the other battery.

good luck.

If one battery dies it will drain the other so it really doesn't matter which you boost though i always go to the drivers side battery .

It is the 24v starters an 80's that if you jump the wrong battery thing get a bit hot, don't ask me how I know

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
100 is 12 volt start, on an 80 if it has the original battery covers on it tell you which one to jump

Does a 100 have a 12v starter?
Think so, but not sure. The system is 12v though and the batteries are connected
Also, if one battery fails it is best practice to replace both or else the alternator will be under undue stress.

They are just one big 12v battery connect together pos to pos, neg to neg. nothing to do with leisure battery.

Thanks man. My immediate need is to give my son's Peugeot a jump as his battery is showing signs of giving up.

Thanks man. My immediate need is to give my son's Peugeot a jump as his battery is showing signs of giving up.
Oh, again you could connect pos from one battery and neg on the other battery you will not be putting undue stress on either battery, you will still only be supplying 12 to 14v to the other car, make sure your LC is running when you jump your Son’s car.

Oh, again you could connect pos from one battery and neg on the other battery you will not be putting undue stress on either battery, you will still only be supplying 12 to 14v to the other car, make sure your LC is running when you jump your Son’s car.
When I say connect pos on one battery and neg on the other, I mean from your Land Cruiser, then to the single battery on your Son’s car, do you see what I mean?

Jump leads, get long one’s with thickish cable and strong clamps, if in doubt about cable size, have a look at the thickness of the ones that connect to your batteries on your LC.

Or buy your Son a new battery :laughing-rolling:
You're right! It might be easier. So, I connect the pos from one of my batteries to the pos on the Peugeot's single battery. I then connect the neg from my other battery to the neg on the Peugeot. All will then be well

Reactions: uHu
You're right! It might be easier. So, I connect the pos from one of my batteries to the pos on the Peugeot's single battery. I then connect the neg from my other battery to the neg on the Peugeot. All will then be well
Yep that’s right, like I said, you’ll still only be supplying the pergeot with the same voltage, as both cars are 12v, even though ones a weird French car. :)

On a 100 there is no hidden magic, everything is 12 volt. The two batteries work as one. You can connect jump leads to either of them, you will in any case just use the two of them as one. And to put things right: That is called a parallell connection.

For buying jump leads, look at three qualities: Thickness of cable - the thicker the better - and that's for the copper, not the outside diameter. Then look at the quality of the clamps - are they big enough and does the insulation stay in place. Last, the connection between cable and clamp can be too weak and give a high voltage drop. That covers the three most common faults of cheap cables. There are other issues like length and flex as well.

Yes, that will work fine, but no need for connect to both batteries on the cruiser. Just connect to the side which is more convenient, or gives the best angle for the cable and clamp. They are just like one single battery anyways.

There you go Hutton, put much more eloquently by uHu than I could ever do. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back