Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Just a little lower ball joint reminder for everyone...!

diggerdave

Today my lower ball joint separated on a lane in the North York Moors, about 1km from tarmac.

I had mine done a couple of years ago so I thought I was safe, but the truck gets a lot of green lane punishment

Check 'em, change 'em and don't ignore steering-related groaning noises!

I got out with a bit of inventiveness and adrenaline. Better photos to follow :icon-biggrin: (That's not me by the way. It's my mate who was barely stopping himself from laughing.)

1.jpg

2.jpg

One of my replacement ball joints didn't last long (i found play it didn't break) when i took it off i found grit inside despite the rubber being good .

I decided because they come greased but not full of grease the swivel boot was acting to suck dirty water in while off road . I packed the boots on the next pair with waterproof red rubber grease because - why not .

Today my lower ball joint separated on a lane in the North York Moors, about 1km from tarmac.

I had mine done a couple of years ago so I thought I was safe, but the truck gets a lot of green lane punishment

Check 'em, change 'em and don't ignore steering-related groaning noises!

I got out with a bit of inventiveness and adrenaline. Better photos to follow :icon-biggrin: (That's not me by the way. It's my mate who was barely stopping himself from laughing.)

View attachment 152233

View attachment 152234
A couple of years old , was they genuine Toyota ball joints or aftermarket if so what brand as so we can avoid that brand .

Tony - I don't know what brand (not Toyota, or anything from Milner or Roughtrax). My garage got them through their normal parts broker, who usually supply good quality aftermarket stuff. Toyota may be the way to go in future... I'll have that conversation later this morning.

Shayne - I think you're right. I periodically check my ball joints, but really I'm just mostly checking the boots are intact. I didn't get a lot of time to check things over, but the ball was clearly pitted and rusty

I’ve been through 1 dodgy one over the last few years and 1 broken Roughtrax one. However I have a RT one that was fitted in 2015 that is still going strong with over 60 000km off road.

Checking them is pretty easy and I do add grease when I service the truck. When the first one failed you could feel something was wrong with the steering not self centering. 2nd dodgy one I found before it got too bad, jacked up the wheel and rocked it top and bottom and you could feel the play in it

Well look on the bright side - at least you weren't doing 70mph in the fast lane of a busy motorway!

How did you recover it?

I had mine replaced a few years back but still something that concerns me - which reminds me, I should check for play more regularly that I do......

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Wow, Dave, I think you were lucky in your bad luck, that you didn’t end up with a damaged wing...

Looks like it could have easily crunched the arch up ... :?

Good post though.... IFS does have its limits :whistle::shifty:

This is quite concerning has anyone please got a link to the ball joints with the grease nipple or bolt i have read that some have fitted?

Clive - that wing is mostly made out of non-stick baking tray and silver hammerite, held together with rivets and filler. There's probably a cable tie involved somewhere as well, so no worries. We'll have to 'lose' another baking tray if it comes to it.

As for how I got it out, well there was one false start and then a first partly successful try followed by a better second attempt. I'm not a mechanic, nor is anyone in our party, just an enthusiastic, ham-fisted amateur trying to make things work!

1. We got the vehicle securely jacked up (we had four bottle jacks between us and some waffleboards that made useful raised bases). Then removed the wheel from the knuckle, pivoted the knuckle around the intact top ball joint and got the CV shaft back into the diff. Then we refitted the wheel - now in a straight ahead position and attempted to jack the LBJ into its housing and tried to hold it in there by using a ratchet strap between the upper and lower arms. Predictably enough, as soon as we tried to tow the vehicle the LBJ popped out again along with the CV joint and we called a halt before it all collapsed again. It just wasn't possible to get the ratchet strap tight enough.

2. I got the wheel and CV back in place and tried to tie the lower part of the knuckle to the lower arm, with the aim of having a rolling wheel tied to the lower arm - no use for any serious work but it might be towable to the end of the lane. I couldn't get it tight enough (there's no simple anchor point on the lower part of the knuckle) and the CV popped out again, which jammed and immobilised the wheel. However the wheel remained upright and skidded along happily enough for some distance until my rope slipped off the anchor point and - now no longer secured to the lower arm - the wheel went rogue again.

3. So, after jacking up the car again and getting the wheel upright I did what I probably should have done in the first place. Darkness was now falling, so I used another ratchet strap, reinforced with a couple of turns of the old 9mm climbing rope I always carry just in case, to wrap around the wheel and tie it tightly to the lower control arm. I now had a non-rolling wheel that functioned as a very effective skid on the loose gravel of the lane.

It wouldn't have worked on rock or tarmac I guess, but I think - although I didn't have time to try - that I might even have been able to drive it like that (with the centre diff locked), if not forwards then in reverse.

We dragged it almost to the end of the lane behind my mate's Ford Ranger and the thoroughly decent AA sub-contractor backed his flatbed the short remaining distance. The fact that we'd already secured the wheel to the lower arm speeded things up nicely and it was a simple pull up his ramp with his big winch. He recommended carrying a plastic McDonald's tray to tie to the wheel and use as a skid in case it happens again. However, I'm not planning on a repeat!

I'd heard some warning groans when turning the steering earlier in the day, but I mistook the noise for groaning shock absorbers because it only appeared to happen when the suspension was working hard. Not a mistake I will make again :oops::doh:

Nice bush recovery write-up Dave.

It’s surprising what you can do if you think straight and keep it simple, instead of just standing there scratching your head waiting for help to arrive.

The loading on those lower ball joints is immense, I’m not surprised that they eventually fail. I managed to tie one up on a Talbot Alpine years ago, with 3 or 4 wraps of coat-hanger wire and a pair of pliers, enough to do a short flat rope-tow home.

But that was such a lightweight compared with a cruiser....

IFS does have its limits :whistle::shifty:

I'm just trying to remember how many times plans were altered , delayed or cancelled due to an IFS truck in Romania Clive , surely there's been a fair number of all 3 circumstances but i'm struggling to remember what model of Cruiser they relate to .

Would you be kind enough to remind me :whistle:

:teasing-nutkick:

Well Shayne, I’ve only had 2 IFS LCs through my gate ever, one is a cute little shiny black Beast allegedly from Barry (that’s somewhere south of Watford and way out west beyond most folks’ horizons), that we’re all very fond of and we’re all aware that it’s in top shape and capable, and the other was another member’s V8 gasoline hundee all the way from the US.

AFAIK, nether of them have suffered the unfortunate circumstances you speak of, so 2 out of 2 may be a 100% score, but it’s not very statistically convincing.

I did see a 120 on a recovery trailer here, with the front LHS wheel tucked up somewhere close to where the drivers’ knees would normally be, and several with popped LBJs in the scrapyard when I was looking for seats for my 80.

I only said it has limitations, mostly governed by lack of maintenance I guess, but limitations nevertheless.

Fair play, nothing’s infallible, but for a truck-type vehicle boasting strength and reliability, I would have thought Mr T could have come up with a somewhat less vulnerable IFS system that matched the ruggedness of the Brand, instead of an almost direct copy (albeit beefier) of all the other run-of-the-mill designs we see daily on regular asphalt only shopping cars.

No offense meant, and it was a tongue-in-cheek remark, but it caught a fish, didn’t it :lol:

:teasing-neener:

90 ball joints might be a bad design but they don’t bend axles like the 80’s do ;)

90 ball joints might be a bad design but they don’t bend axles like the 80’s do ;)

That’s true enough, I tumbled into that one a treat :lol:

Mine was bent from the 80 or so kph impact of a crazy guy in a Dacia Logan, direct hit on the left front hub. The only other damage as a crunched wing and it took me 2 years to convince myself that the axle casing was out of true as a consequence.

They do take a bit of bending though...

Banter what would we do without it huh ........ tow Nick home maybe :lol:

I agree with you it's disappointing that Toyota didn't fully grasp the potential of IFS as both an on and off road improvement , hell they don't even allow room for decent size tyres any more

Poor Nick, but I’ll bet he won’t bite :whistle:

That’s my point Shayne, I’m just saddened that after the mighty 80, Mr T’s trend has gone the same way as the RR did to an extent, but I guess the current LC has to chase the volume car production/sales market, be fast, comfy and more road biased.

As an old boy at LR Ltd once said to me, LR stopped making quality cars the moment they tried to make money instead of cars. Maybe Mr T has the same problem, he certainly seems to be using poorer quality steel now, than he did in ‘92-‘98.

The car and the driver in that vid are amazing. Now if the LC had something like that IFS set-up, you wouldn’t hear another peep out of me on the subject. :lol:

48F6E6C8-0B7C-4315-858C-8843D93D461D.jpeg

I suspect there’s a reason Toyota put an IFS Hilux into the Dakar and not a Landcruiser anymore

Another photo of the immediate aftermath (my wife was on the phone to the AA before you could say 'that wheel's fallen off!'), me rooting through my box of recovery gear ('this is not the time for a picnic'), then attempt no.1 with a ratchet strap, then the third - and workable - solution with the wheel strapped in place and capable of skidding along.

WP_20181209_13_16_10_Pro.jpg
WP_20181209_14_15_06_Pro.jpg
WP_20181209_14_31_09_Pro.jpg
WP_20181209_16_07_35_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
Back