Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Just spotted a BJ42 for sale, won't last long!

Clearly a scam
You reckon? Even if it needs work, which it will need, still seems like a good price. I bought my fully restored LJ70 for a lot less than all the previous work cost because it had engine management gremlins which turned out to be basically a missing O2 sensor, crusty dizzy caps and rotors and a dodgy ground for the igniters (Lexus V8 conversion). Who knows...

Having said that, I don't like the 'leave your mobile number via ebay' note at the bottom! Seems wife is listing it on behalf of hubby...hmm.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Most posts on eblag that say reply to this email or messeage this number and the item is stupid cheap is a scam.

Defo seemed a bit too good to be true. Thought I'd seen that one for sale some time ago, so they probably pinched the photos. Oh well...

Hi Folks,

although the link is long dead now, I presume it was for the very nice green 1984 BJ42LX with white wheels and very attractive price?
Toyota-Land-Cruiser-BJ42-LX-1984-Very-rare.jpg

if so, that is my vehicle and I have seen it 3 times now on ebay listed by a scammer, I still own it and it is in Essex, although everything has a price, the figure listed on the scam is ridiculous, so don't be fooled, also look at these guys other listings if you are suspicious and it soon becomes clear all is not what it seems. It was up again 2 weeks ago and I emailed the guy to lead him on a bit.
He replies with some yarn about it being up in Inverness, used to belong to his father who passed away 3 months ago and is sat in storage..bla bla
He will let it go for £4550 including delivery to my home address

I then said id be happy to travel up to see it.

He replies:

Hi again, I have relocated to Berlin due to work commitments and viewing won't be an option. I suggest going through PayPal for your peace of mind. As for payment we will use PayPal's - Pay After Delivery payment facility which offers the buyer 14 days for the car to be delivered/inspected before any funds are released to me. Regarding delivery someone will collect the car and will transport it safely to your location. (I will mail the access keys to the delivery guy once we've sorted through PayPal).

Please read the PayPal (Pay after delivery) terms by clicking on the link below:

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/pay-after-delivery-terms

This purchase protection guarantees that the car is exactly as I have described it; in other words, once you've paid through PayPal - PAD, you will have the chance to inspect it as i won't get paid by PayPal before delivery. I will get paid only after you confirm that you have received the car in good order as described.

Let me know if you want to go ahead as I still have quite a few more offers from potential buyers. If you do want to go ahead please confirm your PayPal email and address along with your daily contact number.

Kind Regards,
John
[email protected]

I replied to this by sending a picture of the cruiser in my garage.

I guess these guys try it on because its a numbers game and someone somewhere will fall for it eventually,

so...caveat emptor

Regards,
Denis

lol. Good one. There's a couple of LC120s on there which are clearly scams too.

Fargo6910, Hi and congratulations on owning such a nice looking cruiser.

I exchanged a few emails with the scammer. I thought it was too good to be true, but I had to look into it in case it was a serious bargain. He sent loads more photos on request, and i asked quite specific questions and he answered everything very convincingly. It was only when I wanted to arrange viewing it started to sound all to obvious. He had an answer for everything though.

So how does the seller get the money from PayPal then

Back