Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Just wondering

joinerman

Garage
Changed the transfer box oil today to see if it quietens the transmission whine i have down, unlike many of the posts i have read on here mine does not whine when accelerating or at any certain speed with my foot on the loud pedal, mine has a whine just as you lift off, more so at lower speeds, anyway the oil change has quietened it down a bit but it's still there, what i was wondering is what would be the implications of putting a heavier oil in the box,
NO I'm not doing it, just wondering.

There's an oil pump in the rear extn housing to force feed the oil round the box itself. This will have been designed to use the oil specified by the manufacturer so, in theory, with a heavier oil being harder to pump round, lubrication problems could occur.
Having said that, personally, I wouldn't think going up one grade would cause any issues especially in summer. If the box is whining due to wear I don't think a slightly heavier oil will do much to quieten it anyway.

Last edited:
When I bought my 80 it had only done 30,000 miles and had a high pitched whine from the transfer box just on a neutral throttle. Now at 130,000 miles it is no worse. It is not the main box as I've got a different one in for a bit.

I have quietened the trany down a lot by lifting off the trim cover and stuffing the underneath with that spun fibre you get out of modern pillows. Also stuffed the fibre up round/inside the gear stick gaiters. It has made a big difference for quite a quick job.

Frank

Not and expert and not saying this is the cause, but I would suggest that the bearing in either the front or rear extension may be worn. Probably the front.

Chris

I don't know re Joinerman but mine is typical gear whine which is conducted up the transfer lever. Only just noticeable.

Frank

Back