Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Kakadon't

Incredible to think folks would attempt to walk it. I’d want recovery gear set up front and rear, and stowed on the roof before entering.

I can get out of a side widow and onto the roof ready to chuck a rope to someone, otherwise I’d stay put.

It looks like a friend was at that crossing recently

F32537F7-980C-49AF-B113-75B4C356769B.png

...and trucks just left abandoned in the river?....
It looks that way - I have no idea on the status of those or who owns them. Given how low the water level is in the photo they must have been there for a little while at least.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It looks that way - I have no idea on the status of those or who owns them. Given how low the water level is in the photo they must have been there for a little while at least.

...and easily recoverable with the water so low...

Familiarity breeds contempt , the locals have likely crossed it weekly since they were kids , police included , same as that accident black spot sign you drive past twice every day to and from work without ever giving it a moments thought .

Crocs are smart, they know now his is the dinner table and will stake it out. It’s history of croc attacks makes it very very dangerous because now the crocs know

I've done a few river crossings in Queensland - the biggest surprise for me has been the speed that water rises in the event of rain - a dry crossing can become a raging torrent in a matter of a couple of hours, totally impassable. We nearly screwed up and lost a rental van because of this. Crocodiles aren't at all smart, but they are excellent predators and will follow their instincts. Freshies aren't generally an issue, but Salties (estuarine crocs) are bad ass bastards and need a wide birth. I love Australia :)

I've done a few river crossings in Queensland - the biggest surprise for me has been the speed that water rises in the event of rain - a dry crossing can become a raging torrent in a matter of a couple of hours, totally impassable. We nearly screwed up and lost a rental van because of this. Crocodiles aren't at all smart, but they are excellent predators and will follow their instincts. Freshies aren't generally an issue, but Salties (estuarine crocs) are bad ass bastards and need a wide birth. I love Australia :)
They're pretty much the only survivors of the dinosaur era, so they aint done too bad. I'm no expert on crocs but my understanding is if you go to the water 2 days in a row to fill your containers, the croc will remember and be waiting for you

They're pretty much the only survivors of the dinosaur era, so they aint done too bad. I'm no expert on crocs but my understanding is if you go to the water 2 days in a row to fill your containers, the croc will remember and be waiting for you

I think bit of a wives tail that one - you never go near the water to fill the water bottle when there are salt water crocs about.

Back