Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

KDJ120 Instrument Cluster pin configuration

ilezg

Country Flag
ukraine
Hi! I have 1KD-FTV (173 hp) Prado 120. I’d like to install KDJ150’s combination meter. As engines are completely even I do think that it is possible. The problem is that I can’t find KDJ120’s combination meter pin configuration and KDJ150’s combination meter pin configuration. Could you help with it?
And what are your thoughts on this? Do you think it’s possible?

I don't know about the 150, but you can get the pin out information on the 120 instrument cluster from the wiring diagrams.

The wiring diagrams are available on the toyota tech site (someone will have the URL, I dont have it handy, but you can pay a few euros or something for temporary access to pull off what you need).

Or you can get them from the Haynes manual - the diagrams in there arent quite as pretty but I think all the information is in there.

I was digging into it fairly recently to try and get to the bottom of an electrical issue. The combination meter has 4 connectors at the back - I've attached some diagrams I've got lying around, but its probably not the complete story!

So all the info is likely available - but why would you want to do it? Does the 150 speedo look a lot better or something? Don't think I'd hack it and make a hybrid personally.....

Attachments

• cm-wiring.pdf
    129 KB · Views: 403
  • cm-wiring-2.pdf
    131.7 KB · Views: 275
I don't know about the 150, but you can get the pin out information on the 120 instrument cluster from the wiring diagrams.

The wiring diagrams are available on the toyota tech site (someone will have the URL, I dont have it handy, but you can pay a few euros or something for temporary access to pull off what you need).

Or you can get them from the Haynes manual - the diagrams in there arent quite as pretty but I think all the information is in there.

I was digging into it fairly recently to try and get to the bottom of an electrical issue. The combination meter has 4 connectors at the back - I've attached some diagrams I've got lying around, but its probably not the complete story!

So all the info is likely available - but why would you want to do it? Does the 150 speedo look a lot better or something? Don't think I'd hack it and make a hybrid personally.....
Thanks a lot!!!
For me 150’s combination meter is more fancy.

This might help with the wiring details Wiring Details (external site)

Not sure if my assumption is correct but I thought that the clusters were keyed to the ECU, so simply replacing one with another is not possible without some modifications/reprogramming? Others with more knowledge than me will be able to verify or not this assumption.

Not sure i’d Replace it though, can see that it might cause all sorts of issues at a later stage.

Not sure if my assumption is correct but I thought that the clusters were keyed to the ECU, so simply replacing one with another is not possible without some modifications/reprogramming? Others with more knowledge than me will be able to verify or not this assumption.

When I was troubleshooting a strange problem, I had to temporarily replace my cluster with another one to rule it out. The place I got the part from said it might need coding to the vehicle, but (for me!) it didn't - it was just plug and play. Obviously if you're replacing the cluster you need to 'fix' the mileage on the new one, or transfer that bit of the combi meter from the old one.

Just for reference, the car is happy to start and drive without any cluster at all!

This might help with the wiring details Wiring Details (external site)

Not sure i’d Replace it though, can see that it might cause all sorts of issues at a later stage.
Probably, yes. ECU may be a problem there. That’s why I want to compare wiring, first. If it’s different, 150’s combination meter definitely won’t fit. If it similar, there may be options.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back