Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

KDJ95 Its not running right

Green Man

Country Flag
uk
My landcruiser kdj95 is not running right
Its got no power and doesn't accelerate its automatic so gears are not changing as they should.
I have had similar symptoms before, I changed the fuel filter and it was fine.
Also it runs fine when first started till engine gets to running temp

This is what i have done so far

Changed fuel filter (no Change)
Blink code check error code for air intake temp sensor and found broken wire fixed this error code gone and i thought brilliant I've fixed it but sadly no change.

Have any of you guys got any ideas

Carl

Hi Carl, have you checked the filter sock on the pickup pipe in the tank? These can become clogged.

Is your coolant level low, and/or ATF level high? - Possibly radiator failed and coolant mixing with ATF

It is located in the fuel tank itself. There will be an access plate somewhere from inside the truck under a seat perhaps but above the fuel tank. Once the access plate is removed you have access to the fuel pick up and return and the sender unit. If it’s a petrol then you will need to be very careful to avoid any sources of ignition before removing this plate so disconnect the battery (ies) first and take all precautions to avoid sparks or flame.

This is generic information as I don’t have specific knowledge of your vehicle but Trevor almost certainly will.

Suction control valves on the fuel pump are likely. I had similar symptoms a couple of years ago, and checked all other possible parts of the fuel/air system. No real way to test them, but with mine I found it would rev to about 2000 and then refuse to go any further.

Not a big expense, maybe 300-400 moneys

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It is located in the fuel tank itself. There will be an access plate somewhere from inside the truck under a seat perhaps but above the fuel tank. Once the access plate is removed you have access to the fuel pick up and return and the sender unit. If it’s a petrol then you will need to be very careful to avoid any sources of ignition before removing this plate so disconnect the battery (ies) first and take all precautions to avoid sparks or flame.

This is generic information as I don’t have specific knowledge of your vehicle but Trevor almost certainly will.
Cheers starcruiser mine is a diesel I will have a look on Google/youtube see what I can find but that's given me a rough idea of how to start. Many Thanks

Suction control valves on the fuel pump are likely. I had similar symptoms a couple of years ago, and checked all other possible parts of the fuel/air system. No real way to test them, but with mine I found it would rev to about 2000 and then refuse to go any further.

Not a big expense, maybe 300-400 moneys

That sounds very similar to what mine is doing thanks will check it out did you fix the problem yourself

Cheers starcruiser mine is a diesel I will have a look on Google/youtube see what I can find but that's given me a rough idea of how to start. Many Thanks
If you find my dubrovnik thread there's some piccys of us cleaning out the filter on an 80 in the first post.

That sounds very similar to what mine is doing thanks will check it out did you fix the problem yourself

I gave it into the mechanics, as I was having trouble diagnosing the problem. He had it straight away.

The problem started very intermittently, maybe doing it once a week, then once a day, then more and more frequently. Incidentally it first happened on a long climb fully loaded on a camping trip in the south of France.. the momentary panic was not fun!

I think there’s suction control valve (SCV) kits available from Roughtrax.

Is it a 1kz-te or a 1kd engine , i'd be looking for a boost leak if its the first and the SCV if its the second .

Do any of you guys think that all though i have fixed the broken wire on the air intake temp sensor could it still be causing a problem somehow it isnt showing up anymore ass a fault code

With a diesel, hesitation is almost always fuel. Although the KD has more electrickery than the older engines, it's still a fairly simple unit, and I can't see the sensors causing an issue like that

If you’ve made a good repair and it’s not showing the fault code any more then chances are you’ve sorted that one.

Start with the easy/cheap things.
What if anything has changed/happened to the truck immediately before this happened.
Fuel filtration, sock in tank.
Fuel leaks/priming (is your fuel filter leak free?)
Check for Water in fuel (unlikely).
Check for boost leaks on all intake pipework.
Check plugs are all positively mated and free of corrosion.
Check for wiring damage.

Then the next simplest things.
SCVs - you have to change them to reliably test.

Try taking off the fuel feed to the filter from the tank and blowing down it with someone at the filler cap end to listen for bubbles. Sounds daft but it will tell you if your tank sock is blocked or not .Worked on mine for a while until I had to eventually drop the tank and replace it. On my Colorado(KZJ95) there isn't an inspection plate under the seat so you may have to drop the tank to clean/replace it.

There is an inspection plate on my late model KDJ. It's under the carpet on the boot area. Round black plate with 4 screws. Either way I don't think that's the issue, as the tank sock issue discussion here always seemed to be about the KZ engine. The KD's only weakness that I can see is the SCV's. It's the only part that's integral to running the engine that I've replaced in 312,000 miles

I don't know the later model,Bob although I am tempted by one or a 120. I haven't lifted the carpet in mine but think I will just to see if there is one.

Back