Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Key reprogramming

Howmanygoes

Country Flag
england
Hear me out

I went to Thomas this am and neither of my keys would unlock him remotely. Ok manually
Strange that both stopped working at the same time.
keys recognised as masters when inserted
Both will start the car.
tried following ih8mud procedure to reprogram the keys but I can’t get the system to enter programming mode.
I tried the 2 videos and a few other step by steps, most to work around; key in out, lock unlock doors close door lock unlock etc etc, but at no point after these steps to my locks cycle to show programming mode entred.
Part way through the first try I got the fob I was using to work, it then stopped working again. Batteries appear to be ok, but I will order some new ones JIC.

iam not not sure if I have deleted what ever programming was there. Still can open and start the car.

Are there any other programming methods or is it perseverance until it takes.

Hear me out

I went to Thomas this am and neither of my keys would unlock him remotely. Ok manually
Strange that both stopped working at the same time.
keys recognised as masters when inserted
Both will start the car.
tried following ih8mud procedure to reprogram the keys but I can’t get the system to enter programming mode.
I tried the 2 videos and a few other step by steps, most to work around; key in out, lock unlock doors close door lock unlock etc etc, but at no point after these steps to my locks cycle to show programming mode entred.
Part way through the first try I got the fob I was using to work, it then stopped working again. Batteries appear to be ok, but I will order some new ones JIC.

iam not not sure if I have deleted what ever programming was there. Still can open and start the car.

Are there any other programming methods or is it perseverance until it takes.
Will his key fobs diable his alarm? Or just not operate his central locking, If you went to Tom and unlocked him using his key in his lock when his alarm was not disabled I would think his alarm would sound, if not then his alarm was not set from when you last locked him with the remote.

Hope this makes sense,

Sorry, not 100% sure what you mean @jibberjabber

Thomas is the name of the Landcruiser.

i can and unlock the car with the key as normal so I assume this disabled the alarm. I locked it last night with the remote.

so it appears just to be the central locking

Sorry, not 100% sure what you mean @jibberjabber

Thomas is the name of the Landcruiser.

i can and unlock the car with the key as normal so I assume this disabled the alarm. I locked it last night with the remote.

so it appears just to be the central locking
Sorry I used Tom when I should have used Thomas, I understand Thomas is you pet name for your LC.

I have just tried this on my 100, I locked mine last night using the key fob button, CL locks the car and the alarm is set, I just went to unlock my LC with the ket in the lock and the alarm went off, if you locked Thomas with his remote then (I presume he has an alarm) two things happen when you use his remote key fob button to lock him, they are the same as I have just described, the CL locks him and sets the alarm, pressing the other (open) button should unlock using the CL and disable the alarm.

So if you used the key in the lock to open the car then either your alarm was not set or you alarm is malfunctioning.

A car's alarm usually has two functions, alarm that sounds if the car is tamperd with and an immobiliser to stop the starting of the engine, if you key is recognised as a master and starts the car then there is nothing wrong with the immobliser side of the alarm.

Unlocking a car with the key in the lock will not diable the alarm, so yours should have sounded.

Sorry, if I'm not making my self clear.

Get the picture now :thumbup:

Keep in mind that the immobiliser and the central locking/alarm system are two separate systems that have nothing in common.

The immobiliser does not depend on a working battery in the key, and the programming procedure is not the same as for the remote control for locks and alarm.

The Remote is for the doors and the alarm, and has it's own programming sequence/procedure.

If you can switch on and off the alarm system with the remote, then the problem is only with the door lock system in the car. If the remote does nothing with the alarm or the locks, then the problem can be in the remote or in the receiver.
Test:
If you can switch on the alarm system with the remote, the alarm will go off when you open the door after a minute has passed.

So, the key has 3 functions:
- Mechanical key for doors and ignition
- An immobiliser responder which reacts with a code when the key is put in the ignition lock
- A remote control with a battery and a transmitter for the alarm and lock systems
In a key with a remote, both the remote function and the immobiliser chip are in the removable unit inside the key housing; while in a key without the remote, the immobiliser chip is embedded in the head.

That concludes my knowledge of the Land Cruiser keys. Hope it can help.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that the immobiliser and the central locking/alarm system are two separate systems that have nothing in common.

The immobiliser does not depend on a working battery in the key, and the programming procedure is not the same as for the remote control for locks and alarm.

The Remote is for the doors and the alarm, and has it's own programming sequence/procedure. If you can switch on and off the alarm system with the remote, then the problem is only with the door lock system in the car. If the remote does nothing with the alarm or the locks, then the problem can be in the remote or in the receiver.
Test:
If you can switch on the alarm system with the remote, the alarm will go off when you open the door after a minute has passed.

So, the key has 3 functions:
- Mechanical key for doors and ignition
- An immobiliser responder which reacts with a code when the key is put in the ignition lock
- A remote control with a battery and a transmitter for the alarm and lock systems
In a key with a remote, both the remote function and the immobiliser chip are in the removable unit inside the key housing; while in a key without the remote, the immobiliser chip is embedded in the head.

That concludes my knowledge of the Land Cruiser keys. Hope it can help.
That's exactly what I was saying, you have put is more eloquently.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
@jibberjabber, yeah that makes sense.

so 2 things are now an issue

1) remote central locking not working
2) alarm system not working.

as I said whilst trying to reprogram a key I got one working briefly but then it dropped out.

how do I diagnose if they alarm works?

how the fu*k do you stop some words turning red and becoming links when you type. Every time I write key it moves me infront of the k..... and it does it for door too.

well I may still have reprogramming issues As I can’t enter programming mode and my remotes don’t work.

how do i test the alarm if the remote doesn’t work?

@jibberjabber, yeah that makes sense.

so 2 things are now an issue

1) remote central locking not working
2) alarm system not working.

as I said whilst trying to reprogram a key I got one working briefly but then it dropped out.

how do I diagnose if they alarm works?
First and formost you need good batteries of a good make in your fobs, have you tried standing right next to Thomas then using the buttons, as, as the fob batt's get flater and flater the closer you need to be to the car for the buttons to work.

When you want to test you alarm you just need to set the alarm with the drivers window open then wave you arm through the window the ultrasonics will detect movment and sound the alarm, bearinginmind the 100 is also fitted with a glass brake sensor, to test that you need to tap with a coin on the glass while the alarm is set, only tap gently, remember it a glass break sensor.

Last edited by a moderator:
how the fu*k do you stop some words turning red and becoming links when you type. Every time I write key it moves me infront of the k..... and it does it for door too.

well I may still have reprogramming issues As I can’t enter programming mode and my remotes don’t work.

how do i test the alarm if the remote doesn’t work?
I think you must have copied and pasted the words Key And Door, Although I'm not sure on that, so don't quote me, also 'Spell Check' would be a good addition to this site.

Like I say you can't do anything until you have good known batt's in the fob's as a starting point, I keep spare batt's in my centre console.

They were good makes and less than a year old. More on order, subject to covid excuse, delivery should be here Tuesday.

Let us know how you get on. :thumbup:
I am now now sure I ever had a working alarm system.
Sure or unsure? It's very difficult to diable an alarm system, and not cause problems with a car, otherwise the thivies would have a field day, when you thought it was working did you ever look at the little red LED on the dash? Have you got a Hand Book?

Have I said before how much I hate electrical gremlins. Just been out to the car and guess what. Both keys work. Central locking opens and closes on all doors. Indicators flash. Didn't touch anything.

Once the little one wakes up I will test the alarm.

Hate it when you don't know why something stopped working.

Have I said before how much I hate electrical gremlins. Just been out to the car and guess what. Both keys work. Central locking opens and closes on all doors. Indicators flash. Didn't touch anything.

Once the little one wakes up I will test the alarm.

Hate it when you don't know why something stopped working.
Blame it on Covid, everyone else is. Hopefully that's that sorted then, like I say, open drivers window, lock Tom with his remote wait 30 seconds then stick your hand is and wave it all about, do the hokey cokey.

If the alarm don't sound wait another 30 seconds and try waving again.

"Hate it when you don't know why something stopped working"............just count yer blessings. :laughing-rolling:

Report back to base with results. :thumbup:

Roger will do.

I cant see any ultrasonic sensors but will try.

Wound window down. Locked car with fob. waited a few mins. Inserted arm and flap. Nothing. No alarm, no flashing indicators (though they did flash on locking).

so where to start looking for alarm components. Was it a post Factory option?

Roger will do.

I cant see any ultrasonic sensors but will try.

Wound window down. Locked car with fob. waited a few mins. Inserted arm and flap. Nothing. No alarm, no flashing indicators (though they did flash on locking).

so where to start looking for alarm components. Was it a post Factory option?
Have you got this ?

IMG_1857.jpg

Yes uk spec. 2001.

no I don’t have the ultrasonics in the roof control.

the only thing I can find is a small black plastic circle in front of the steering wheel near the glass of the window

Back