Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Knocking noise

Zfgadventures

Country Flag
england
Morning guys.. new to this so go gently
I have just had my engine recondition after a month they have had it got it back. Down the m25 a knocking noise started when you press the throttle a fast knocking noise, when you ease of the throttle the knocking noise slow right down, idle slow knocking noise still.
I ring the the company up who done the engine he sed it could be the balance bushes never heard of it before now the question.
1 Could it be that or something else
2 is this company trying a fast one on me
3 what can I do

YES to question 1 and 2... And Take it back to question 3.. Let them hear it/take for a drive etc.. Tell em your not happy.. Say words like Trading standards / statutory rights/... Did you get warranty/guarantee etc..?

I’ve heard of balancer shafts on a Shogun but never in relation to a Cruiser. Balance bushes? Sounds a bit suspect to me.

Apart from what Higgy has said, arming yourself with some knowledge can help you smell the bullsh** if there is any.

Some extra info may help us to help you,

What cruiser is it? What engine and why was it ‘reconditioned’? What gearbox, manual or auto? Was it knocking with engine Speed or road speed? Did you try it in neutral? Did you lift the bonnet and listen for the knocking at idle? Did you locate it?

A couple of questions I ask myself to narrow down knocking and squeezing noises

1. Does it happen if the engine is/ isn't running
2. Does it happen with the vehicle is/ isn't moving
3. Does it increase with engine speed.

It not going to give you a final answer but it'll at least help you start to narrow down where to look

YES to question 1 and 2... And Take it back to question 3.. Let them hear it/take for a drive etc.. Tell em your not happy.. Say words like Trading standards / statutory rights/... Did you get warranty/guarantee etc..?
Cheers pal I've taken it back they are looking at it Monday
They know I'm not happy but I'll find out more monday I'll keep you posted

I’ve heard of balancer shafts on a Shogun but never in relation to a Cruiser. Balance bushes? Sounds a bit suspect to me.

Apart from what Higgy has said, arming yourself with some knowledge can help you smell the bullsh** if there is any.

Some extra info may help us to help you,

What cruiser is it? What engine and why was it ‘reconditioned’? What gearbox, manual or auto? Was it knocking with engine Speed or road speed? Did you try it in neutral? Did you lift the bonnet and listen for the knocking at idle? Did you locate it?
Cheers Mate
Right it's a Colorado 2001 3.0l d4d diesel automatic....
Block exhaust whilst offroading, cut it short I changed the turbo took the head of pressure tested and valve stems changed. all new gaskets... still smoking ended up changing the piston rings and big end bearings. did it my self obviously teaching myself, messed it up. low oil pressure due to big end bearings so got engine recondition.
The knocking noise when you accelerated it would get faster, eased of and it would slow down, at idle it would still be knocking and when trying to find the knocking it sounded like it was all over engine as you can imagine but sort of narrowed it down to the middle/bottom of engine hope this helps a bit

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
A couple of questions I ask myself to narrow down knocking and squeezing noises

1. Does it happen if the engine is/ isn't running
2. Does it happen with the vehicle is/ isn't moving
3. Does it increase with engine speed.

It not going to give you a final answer but it'll at least help you start to narrow down where to look
Cheers mate I've answered some other questions similar I dont mean to be a arse but am Haha if you can look at the reply cheers pal

Found this info on the 1KD which indicates it does have two balance shafts.

http://www.motorreviewer.com/engine.php?engine_id=114

It rather depends exactly what was done during the ‘reconditioning’. It’s also very difficult to narrow down a knocking sound but from what you have said I.e. it developed the noise (ran ok when you picked it up) and it sounds whole engine but bottom/middle rather than top, it could be big end related. Possible causes include loose bearing cap, rotated big end bearing, wrong BEB oil starvation resulting in BEB damage. Did your rebuilders determine the BEB gap? Did they inspect the crank journals for roundness? Were these within spec?

Did you determine what was causing the smoke before you pulled it apart? What colour smoke was it? Did you isolate the turbo from the intake and get smoke/no smoke? Has the rebuild corrected the smoking and given you an otherwise good engine (up to the knocking sound appearing)?

Good luck on Monday. If they fix it and it runs well into the future, happy days.

Back