Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

KXJ70 rear wheel bearing

LeCruiser

Garage
Was in France this weekend and my rear wheel bearing went Pete tong :( Had to leave the cruiser there and it's being transported back hopefully next week.

Now... How hard is it to do the bearings! Do I really need to take the parts to a garage to get the bearings pressed on? Any other pit falls or things to consider?

Should I consider putting 80 series axles on as the other side will prob need attention?

Thanks in advance for any pointers!

sorry to hear about your problems. :thumbdown:

theres a load of info and pics on this in my build thread, maybe 10-15 pages back. ;)

it is possible to fit the bearing using a length of scaffold tube to knock it on, a bit like a giant slide hammer.

but i didnt want to risk damaging the bearing doing it in this way, especially as i know what a bastard it is to get the bearings off the shaft.

so the easy bit........................

1. jack up the side your going to change the bearing in, and remove wheel. (idealy if your not changing the diff oil, jack this side of the axle so its higher than the other side, to stop the oil running out).

2. remove brake drum and disconnect handbrake cable.

3. remove the 4 bolts that fix the half shaft to the axle, these are behind the brakes near where the shocks mount.

4. now pull the brake backing plate, and the shaft should pop straight out.

doing it this way means you dont need to mess around dismantling the brake shoes, and so is quicker and easier.

everything above is the easy bit and should take no loner than an hour at most.

cutting the old bearing, and locking ring off the shaft with an angle grinder, is the tricky time consuming bit. :thumbdown:

once thats done, id take the shaft to a local friendly garage and give them some cash to press the new bearing on. the place i went to only charged me £5 and it took about 10mins. :thumbup:

make sure you replace the seals at the same time. if you get a complete wheel bearing kit from some one like milners, it will come with all the seals and the O ring that you need. :thumbup:

http://www.milneroffroad.com/toyota-uk/ ... kit-1-side

regarding 80 series axles.

you would have to ideally replace both front a rear axles as there wider than 70 axles.

as far as i know its not a straight swop and there will be quite a bit of welding involved, and im pretty sure as you would need to weld new brackets and bits on the chassis for the radius and trailing arms to mount to, then legally speaking it should probably have an SVA/IVA test.

personally i wouldnt bother, as i dont think the benefits are worth it for the amount of work and expense involved.

but it has been done before, and is doable. :thumbup:

When I did my rear bearings on my KZJ70, I had the problem of bearing removal from the halfshaft.
Came up with a length of scaffold ploe, various bits of angle, a bit of welding and hey presto, something that did resemble the SST for the job......local garage let me use their 10ton press, free of charge....and boy were they tight to get off, no way would you get them off by hammering..

did the longest one first and then cut the SST down to suit the short side.

Photo0132.jpg

Photo0133.jpg

Thanks for the detailed info and pics, that's gonna help and reassures me it's not too difficult :thumbup: wont bother with 80 series axles so that's that.

Did look at Milners kit (now I'm back home) so will be ordering a couple of those tomorrow. Brake shoes need changing so looks like a full refurb job!

Will post some pics in another post later as it was a recce for a 4x4 battlefield tour. ;)

Got all my kit from Milners when I did my bearings....

Noticed you don't live that far away from me, I still have the special tool here, if you want it?
Sarisbury Green, between junctions 9 and 8 M27..

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
nivapilot said:
Got all my kit from Milners when I did my bearings....

Noticed you don't live that far away from me, I still have the special tool here, if you want it?
Sarisbury Green, between junctions 9 and 8 M27..
Cool! Much appreciated, :thumbup:

Got the hubs off this evening.... Mmm think the bearing has seen better days!
Hope to get them to the workshop tomorrow and then all back together on Friday :)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335995626.943897.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335995626.943897.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 500
No sign of rust or overheating. Probably caused by catastrophic ball failure, and that could be attributed to rear wheel imbalance creating a brinelling effect.

Roger

All sorted last week and happy to have her on the road again!
Thanks nivapilot for your 'part' - got it here if anyone else needs it ;)

No problem, just happy to be of assistance.

Glad you got them done ok..

Back