Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

kzj 70

THUNDER TRUCK

my kzj. it came to me with work to be done on the arches, the previous own had had it 10 years and had looked after it well.

I wanted to use the car as a daily drive and also to be used off road and green lanes. i wanted to be able to work on it myself in my garage so didn't want a massive lift as it would not fit.

so it ended up having about 2 1/2 inch off the arches, the sills have been cut out and box welded in with tube rock sliders which are jackable the front bumper removed and a simple steel bumper with recovery point put on and same on the back. i have also put some carbon fibre vinyl on the bottom half to neaten it up where the arches have been repaired. its got a set of 35 12.50 15 bfg m/t on with a set of spaces. it rubs on the exhaust on full lock but i have not had it rubbing on the body. I have also removed the anti roll bar. i still have a few other thing to do on it but its starting to get to were i want it

kzj70.jpg

2012-07-02201210.jpg

2012-07-02200620-1.jpg

2012-07-02165612.jpg

2012-07-02165626.jpg

i am going out in it sunday so more photos to follow

looks good. :clap:

i dont think ive seen any 70's with a virtual lift, most people go down the suspension/body lift route. :think:

but i suppose if your arches are rusty anyway, then its a good idea. :thumbup:

any pics of you getting it muddy? :twisted:

looks like a nice 70 :thumbup: i see you've got the bumper where the indicators used to be, any pics on the instal?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
might i change looks good to, thats a mighty fine cruiser you have there ;) how does the 3.0 perform on standard gearing with the 35's? i've currently got 33's on mine and have been eyeing up 35's for a while, also any info on the front bumper?

its all hills round here and it pulls up them no problem, it cruisers at 70 mph on the motorway in 5th. off road in low box is fine for what i intend in using it for.

the bumpers are both bolted on to the chassis. the chassis was cut back a little so it didnt stick too much out. when i next take it off i will take some photos.

after denting the rear of my kzj and the rear doors been shot, i decided to make it into a small ally drop side / flat back. they is also a winch now in the rear which will come in off roading and also pull dead machines onto my trailer.

heres a few pics of todays green lane trip with a couple of other nice 70s

kzj1.jpg

Attachments

• kzj1.jpg
    kzj1.jpg
    290 KB · Views: 563
You've done a great job on it man. I stared a very similar project to what you have done to your 70.

What did you use to fill up the rear of the cab? Which is where mine was left at!

i wanted to be able to put the seat right back and have a little bit of room behind the seats . where the side windows were it had to be welded to extend the piller the rear corners and roof was used to make this i wanted it to look factory . the seat belt mounts are still in the same places but the sun roof had to go.

kzj11.jpg

Last edited:
Very good man, We moved the back panel forward and cut away the part between the door/window. Then to use the rear seat belt top mount to use for the front. We kept checking how far the seat goes back with the set up seemed to go back enought.

Did you keep any of the ridges in the roof or delete with the sun roof?

I have a donor d4d hilux to extract the wiring and ecu out of it. Mechanically to do a d4d conversion it's the same as converting a 2lt to a 1kzt..You have inspired me to take another look at it again.

very cool :icon-cool: trayback swb 70's can sometimes look a bit odd due to there length but this one looks nice :p

That's a great looking little truck :icon-smile: :thumbup:

kzj1.jpg

when I first saw it complete I was unsure about it but the more I see it the more it I like it :icon-cool:

Back