Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

KZJ 73 turbo pressure sensor - what does it do with the reading?

loco_ola

Country Flag
france
Anyone any idea what the car does with the turbo pressure sensor reading?

My sensor connection seems like it was probably broken in the past and doesnt really feel so secure when you put the tube back onto the sensor pin.

I can probably glue it, but I'm wondering what the sensor actually does? Is it mainly for sorting emissions stuff or does it adjust fuel amounts or something?!

In my mind the ecu takes air temperature and pressure readings to calculate how much oxygen is available to burn fuel . A well balanced fuel air ratio throughout the rev range is the key to greater power and better mpg .

Did we not learn your truck runs a mechanical fuel pump and so doesn't need the sensors ?

Did we not learn your truck runs a mechanical fuel pump and so doesn't need the sensors ?

Yeah that's what I was thinking, but it seems unlikely that Mr T. would put a sensor there that does nothing?

Has it had an engine swap ?

I'm talking blind but i imagine the 1KZ and 1KZ-TE are a straight swap leaving only some wiring redundant because one runs a mechanical fuel pump while the other is electronic .

If yours is mechanical then there's nothing for the sensor to do , the boost pressure is connected to a diaphragm via vacuum hose and so adjusts fueling to match boost mechanically .

Other than that need its just a naturally aspirated engine .

Hang on doesn't the 70 series have an over boost warning light ? if so that could be the purpose of the sensor .

I wish my 1KZ-TE had the same over boost protection set up , i'd be happy because i'd remove it allowing more boost than Toyota intended ;)

Pretty sure it's not had an engine swap.

I'm not sure about the overboost light, I'll try to look into it a bit more. Thanks for the thoughts!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back