Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

KZJ78: To lift or not to lift?

NickW

Country Flag
new_zealand
Hi All,

I've browsed a lot of Land Cruiser forums and interested in some opinions from those who have been there and done that!

I have an original Landcruiser Prado KZJ78 '95 Ex (auto 3L diesel) with all the advantages and disadvantages of original that brings. The springs and shocks are on their last legs with a very spongey / rolly ride. It no longer sits flat - rather to the rear and to the right. There is a bull bar on the front (no winch) and it still runs original 15 inch rims. So I've concluded its time for an upgrade. Dobinson's seem to be well recommended. But what I can't figure out is if I should or need to use the opportunity to lift it or keep it original. Most posts seem to presume a lift.

Use case is not particularly intrepid 4wd. Mostly road driving, some mountain roads here in NZ some back country roads across a river or two (nothing majorly deep). I don't plan on changing the wheels at this stage. Load wise we often have 6+ people in it (usually a few adults and a few kids in the rear seats!).

Any experience or advice welcome!

Cheers

Nick

A very good question Nick and one only you can answer because what we want and what we need are two very different things . That's why the mrs truck has a 2" lift and 33" tyres while navigating nothing more challenging than traffic lights .

Why not when you have to spend the money anyway is how i would see it , but then you will want bigger tyres which will likely lead you into seeking different wheels and then your on the slippery slope of modification which it has to be said most of us here enjoy just as much as using the truck , we make it our own and there's no two trucks on here the same .

Having seen this below i know exactly what i would do if your truck were mine :cool:

1594956350503.png

+1 on what Shayne says.. All land cruisers look great with a lift and bigger/wheels/ Tyres and all the mods you can throw at it, So it comes down to what you want personally ...And what your trucks use is... My 80 is a work horse so would make no sense in MY real world... Just go for it if thats what you want, If the outcome was looking like the Pic above.... Definitely !!!......... But iv seen some lifts that are way over the top and have ruined a once decent Truck....

A very good question Nick and one only you can answer because what we want and what we need are two very different things . That's why the mrs truck has a 2" lift and 33" tyres while navigating nothing more challenging than traffic lights .

Why not when you have to spend the money anyway is how i would see it , but then you will want bigger tyres which will likely lead you into seeking different wheels and then your on the slippery slope of modification which it has to be said most of us here enjoy just as much as using the truck , we make it our own and there's no two trucks on here the same .

Having seen this below i know exactly what i would do if your truck were mine :cool:

View attachment 166947
Thanks Shane! Love it.

+1 on what Shayne says.. All land cruisers look great with a lift and bigger/wheels/ Tyres and all the mods you can throw at it, So it comes down to what you want personally ...And what your trucks use is... My 80 is a work horse so would make no sense in MY real world... Just go for it if thats what you want, If the outcome was looking like the Pic above.... Definitely !!!......... But iv seen some lifts that are way over the top and have ruined a once decent Truck....
Thanks Higgy. There are a few head turners down this part of the world and its fair to say they don't have small wheels ;-)

I lived in NZ For 3yrs.... And yes there were some great Trucks about.... Even the Non Toyota ones....... Xmas day trying to water ski on Lake Benmore.. Happy Memories. A great Country... :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Oh and we want pics when your lift is fitted :lol:

As Higgy and Shayne say but as you going to replace the stock springs and shocks anyway why not go that 2 or (max) 3 inches that turn a good looking truck into a head turner. Does the ego good to hear the kids say we want to go in 'your' truck.
Dobinsons have a good reputation. If you can offer up the larger wheels - I tried on a set of 33s on mine and didn't like the look - before you commit to buying.

Regards,

Rodger

Use case is not particularly intrepid 4wd. Mostly road driving, some mountain roads here in NZ some back country roads across a river or two (nothing majorly deep). I don't plan on changing the wheels at this stage. Load wise we often have 6+ people in it (usually a few adults and a few kids in the rear seats!).
IMO don't bother.For the use you've described & with 6 people on board the higher centre of gravity will make the vehicle more unstable & prone to rolling.I would spend my money on new springs & shocks & a fridge.For me form follows function

As Higgy and Shayne say but as you going to replace the stock springs and shocks anyway why not go that 2 or (max) 3 inches that turn a good looking truck into a head turner. Does the ego good to hear the kids say we want to go in 'your' truck.
Dobinsons have a good reputation. If you can offer up the larger wheels - I tried on a set of 33s on mine and didn't like the look - before you commit to buying.

Regards,

Rodger
Thanks Rodger! Try before I buy sounds like a good idea.

Hi Nick standard springs and shocks with air bags installed in the rear springs for the extra load, a great job and the rear never sags.

Interesting thanks I didn’t know that was a thing! Will check it out.

Back