Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Lack of power and turbo boost

Your English is good mate i probably didn't read it correctly :doh:

Do you understand what i am saying though ? you don't need a boost compensator if you don't have a turbo . But if you do have a turbo the pump needs an additional function to increase fuel on boost .

I am not familiar with your engine but i am guessing there is a vacuum pipe from turbo to fuel pump which allows pressure to increase fuel .

Your English is good mate i probably didn't read it correctly :doh:

Do you understand what i am saying though ? you don't need a boost compensator if you don't have a turbo . But if you do have a turbo the pump needs an additional function to increase fuel on boost .

I am not familiar with your engine but i am guessing there is a vacuum pipe from turbo to fuel pump which allows pressure to increase fuel .

Yes there is a vacuum pipe from inlet to a vacuum switching valve, which then splits to the pressure sensor and boost compensator. But somehow I doubt it isn't the boost compensator, because the lack of power is mainly in the lower rpm. Or does the boost compensator changes the fuel mixture when there is no boost pressure?

Anyhow I will check again end of this week.

Last edited:
No sounds like i'm wrong .

So is the power good once you pass 3000rpm ?

Could the exhaust be dented or otherwise restricted ?

Could the exhaust be dented or otherwise restricted ?

Or the air filter be plugged up, or any fuel filter (though I think that's been covered?).
What about this solenoid valve? Are you sure this is not for the idle up for the AC? Do you have air con? Pics would be good methinks. [emoji4]

The power is better at higher rpm, but I think that is because the turbo kicks in. But a friend of me has almost the same cruiser (lx version with electronic 4x4 and power steering) and the power curve is the same but higher (about half!) on the whole line. I hope I am a bit clear :).
The exhaust is not the problem, it is cut on the right side (about 1,5m after the turbo) and has no restrictions. I also replaced the old air and diesel filter with new ones.
What do you mean with solenoid valve? The valve for maintaining the pressure in the pump? The car is without aircon :)
Thanks guys!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yes there is a vacuum pipe from inlet to a vacuum switching valve,

This was what I meant by the solenoid valve. I'm not familiar with the 70 but I expect the principal is the same for the 80. There are no valves in the boost lines that I recall so if yours has a valve then this may be an after market boost controller perhaps?

Photos would really help on this.

8ff1d94b3b71c6decb17fd3377fb1708.jpg

This is the boost controller.

From what i can gather everything's good when your boosting and so the problem has nothing to do with the turbo or boost controller and you should be looking for a problem that can interfere with idle revs .

How about putting some Wynn's diesel gold in your fuel in the hope it cleans injectors enough to show a result . That stuff gave my old ford transit a new lease on life .

From what i can gather everything's good when your boosting and so the problem has nothing to do with the turbo or boost controller and you should be looking for a problem that can interfere with idle revs .

How about putting some Wynn's diesel gold in your fuel in the hope it cleans injectors enough to show a result . That stuff gave my old ford transit a new lease on life .

I disconnected the boost compensator and I had no difference in performance. How is that possible? Checked the injection timing and is correct. I already put some injector cleaner in the tank.

I'm thinking your pumps knackered but i'm not qualified to say it , maybe you should search the web for pump servicing instructions which might shed some light on things ?

I'm thinking your pumps knackered but i'm not qualified to say it , maybe you should search the web for pump servicing instructions which might shed some light on things ?

Yeah, I might want to check the injection pressure.

If you disconnected the boost compensator then you would be getting no boost. With no change in performance, this means you are getting no boost whether the pipe is connected or not. Have you tried blowing down the pipe to the turbo servo? To see if the diaphragm is split there? It sounds to me like there's a leak in these boost pipes or servo diaphragms.

I just found something that may explain my problem. Apparently you can rotate the boost compensator diaphragm to adjust the shaft which is some kind of tapered. There is a great youtube video explaining this. So it is possible that the shaft is now at a setting that doen't do much!

I think you should park next to your mate and compare the routing of every vacuum line before you go any further with the pump .

Back