Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Land Cruiser 70 Draining battery over night

Whopydk

Country Flag
denmark
Hey guys

I bought my Land Cruiser 3 days ago, it is my first Land Cruiser, and my first 4x4. Im not used to old cars, so i forgot to turn the lights off 2 days ago, and the batteries was completly drained. No reaction when I turned the key.

A friend jumped it for me, and I took it out for a drive to charge it. The dash showed plenty of juice. And I was very careful turning all lights off this time.

This morning, the batteries was nearly dead again, only a loud buzz could be heard.. which scared the shit out of me :wtf:

Do I need to change the batteries? Or is there something else I dont know about that I just have to turn off?

Oh, and as a note, I am quite the beginner with engines.. sorry if I ask stupid questions :icon-razz:

EDIT: It has the 2.4 TD diesel engine :)

Hy W!
I think the best solution for you is to call some electrician to check battery and truck charging system!
but I think if your battery is older then 2year,after discharge of 2 days you need to buy new
Regards
Bobo

Hey Whopydk, welcome to the forum and landcruiser ownership! I bought my first -a LJ78- last summer. Big smiles ever since :icon-biggrin:
Give this site a thorough read for background on the 70 series and cruiser mechanicals in general. And dont be too worried about the horror stories about the 2.4TD, it's all relative. I was nervous at first but it's all good.
Regarding your batteries, What you describe sounds normal, but not irrecoverable given there is some indication of activity. It depends how fresh they were in the first place. If they are salvageable you really need to have them charged properly from a mains charger for 2-3days, rather than just a jumpstart - if you dont have one ask a friendly garage to do it for you - you'll need such a garage now and then anyway if you dont have much experience!
What model do you have and what are your plans for it? post a link to some pictures if you have any!
Duvs

When a battery gets discharged badly it damages the actual battery and sometimes can never be 100% good again. Alternatively maybe it just needs to trickle charge for a day or two to fully charge it, or a long motorway run?

If it has two batteries, one battery could be no good and if one drains it'll drain the other.

Thankyou to all of you for the answers! :)

Today we replaced both batteries, as this seemed as the best choice.

When we tried to start it, it just started to buzz. My friend pointed out that it seemed to be the Main glow relay, making the noise.

He told me to just replace it, but could there be anything else wrong?

@ Duvs, its a 1986 LJ70, no plans other than to get out there and learn to use it right now :)

Ill post some pictures when its up and running again :)

Thankyou to all of you for the answers! :)

Today we replaced both batteries, as this seemed as the best choice.

When we tried to start it, it just started to buzz. My friend pointed out that it seemed to be the Main glow relay, making the noise.

He told me to just replace it, but could there be anything else wrong?

@ Duvs, its a 1986 LJ70, no plans other than to get out there and learn to use it right now :)

Ill post some pictures when its up and running again :)

Did it actually turn over and start though? :think:

I thought the glow plug relay is tucked up behind the dash, above the glove box. :icon-smile:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi

alternators won't charge batteries properly if the batteries are in the last 20% of charge, the old batteries may not have been faulty. Always best to put flat batteries on a proper digital battery charger that is at least 8amps or more,,,just incase it happens again.

Giles

Did it actually turn over and start though? :think:

I thought the glow plug relay is tucked up behind the dash, above the glove box. :icon-smile:

I cant link to anything because I need 13 more posts, but the part number is this: 28610-68030

The engine did not turn at all, this thing just started buzzing really loud :)

Glow plug relay shouldn't stop the engine from turning over and starting! :think:

That part number is correct though. :icon-smile:

Hi

I think what happened is when you jumped your truck the alternator tried to charge the batteries but couldn't because they were less 20% all the alternator did was put a "surface charge" on the batteries. I the morning the the truck would not start as there was not enough charge. This buzzing is because of the low voltage, it is protecting you electrics from getting fried from the low voltage.

Giles

Hi

I think what happened is when you jumped your truck the alternator tried to charge the batteries but couldn't because they were less 20% all the alternator did was put a "surface charge" on the batteries. I the morning the the truck would not start as there was not enough charge. This buzzing is because of the low voltage, it is protecting you electrics from getting fried from the low voltage.

Giles

Thankyou! That was it :)

2 new batteries from Toyota made the difference.

Now I just have to remember to switch everything off :p

Back