Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Land Cruiser 80 TD from 94

pdray

Dear all.

Firstly i would like to explain that my name is Pedro, i'm Portuguese living in Mozambique (Africa) for the last 20 Years, and because of that please forgive me if i make some writing mistakes.
Secondly i would like to congratulate the site manager for the quantity of valid information that this club offers to all it's members.

Regarding my issue; i have a LC80 with new springs and Old Man Emu shocks. The truck come fitted with spacers and LT 285 75R 16 tires from Yokohama.
The terrain in witch i use the truck are dirty roads with allot of fine sand. The roads allow that we ride at 80 km /hour and more. Some times when i drive more aggressively the front tire touch in the front panel. I've changed the front coils for heavy duty ones and the guys from the 4X4 center installed some yellow poly-carbon spacers in the coils it self. I've spend $2,500 USD in the coils and shocks but unfortunaly the problem subsist.

Please give me some ideas on the next step.
About the pics which site can i use to up load the pics?
Regards Pedro dray

Hi Pedro, welcome to the forum :cool:

Firstly, no problems with your English - it is better than most on here already; me included!!! :lol:

Secondly, there are many people on here with that tyre size who will be able to offer comment about the tyre rubbing the body - is the OME equipment extended for a lift or standard length? I don't know a great deal about OME stuff I'm afraid but again, a lot of people do use it in the UK & may be able to assist you better than me.

With regard to pictures, I use Photobucket to host mine before posting to the forum - I find it very easy to use.

Look forward to seeing your truck!!!

Cheers

Welcome Pedro, I am sure someone with a better opinion will come alone soon :pray:

Hi Tony & Peter and by the way, many thanks for the warm welcome. :thumbup:
Here i send some pics from the coils and shocks.
We did lift the truck (about 50mm) or so they say.

omeo.jpg

ome2.jpg

ome1.jpg

Best regards pdray

It all sounds like a fairly straightforward suspension install Pedro...

The only thing I noticed was that you are not running standard wheels/rims... Could the offset of your wheels differ to a standard wheel & could this be the cause of the rubbing you are experiencing?? :think:

BTW, how fast are you hitting the bumps when you get the rubbing? Are you Carlos Sainz in disguise?? :lol:

Cheers
Gav

PS Peter is my sobrenome :cool:

Hi Gav

Yes i use to think that i was a WRC champion, eheheh :lol: and i even raced in Portugal 2 X Baja, 1 X Off Road race and use to be a member of the famous Clube Aventura ( Adventure club) a 4X4 organization that promote the Off Road racing in Portugal. Never done 4X4 Trial, only the occasional rock climing(?).
Done some motocross (racing for Kawazaki) in Hong Kong and Macau, but that was long time ago wen i was a free and without any sort of responsability. :dance:
Now i just do (as a hobby) some deep sea fishing, and at my consulting work i do alot of off road drive.
Regarding the speed question, i must say that i normally dont drive more than 80 klicks but some times i just feel like pressing the pedal, and the barrier of 120 up to 130 is atchived. You must remember that in africa bush road's we have alot of straits of 20 km, so the conditions for a bit of speed are created. first a good car that inspire the driver, secondly no traffic at all, and thirdly a nice dirt road in sand. :clap:
In the camp site and farms that we have up north the conditions are different.
There i use of Ford Ranger 2,5 TD XLS, with 17'' mags and COOPER all mud terrain tires, with OME shocks. :thumbup:
The driving conditions there are completely different, then the south of the country, since mud is the main word to describe it. Some times to do 45 km i take 6 hours, so just imagine. It's a pain in the but and the secret is Air Con. Without it and without the freezer i would be melted already. :pray:
Regarding the pic's i'm afraid of sending more since the size become huge and do not allow you guys, to see it in a good condition.

Regards pedro

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
easiest way to prevent it for sure is to extend your bumpstops. if its hitting your wheelarch before the bumpstop, then they are too short. If you're taking air often, then you're probably compressing them sufficiently on landing to hit the wheelarch.

pdray said:
Regarding the pic's i'm afraid of sending more since the size become huge and do not allow you guys, to see it in a good condition.

Regards pedro
Hi Pedro,
If you are using Photobucket to place your pictures here, they can be re-sized in Photobucket before you post them to the forum. Also I expect whatever you are using to send your pictures will have a method of re-sizing. :thumbup:

Hi Callum

You say that i should deflate more the from tires, or should i take the spacers out in order to put the well back into the original place?
I had some fiber glass side extensions on the car, but after one trip to my holiday home they began to fell apart. It was nice to see but the application is more favorable to the city drivers instead of off road drivers.
You say that i should apply them again?

]

]

This are some test pic's.
As soon as i go again to the beach home i will take some proper off road pics

Pedro

Hey Pedro

Use the 'Links to share this photo' section of the ImageShack page & copy the 'Direct' link & then paste that in between the 'Img' button on the forum page

lcfront.jpg

lcside.jpg

Then they'll come across just fine :cool:

Back to your problem, Callum was talking about the rubber bump stops on the axles, not air in the tyres... If you extend the bump stops with some spacers, they will prevent the axle moving too high in the arch & therefore stop the rubbing :cool:

BTW, nice colour for your truck :mrgreen:

The rubber is this one between the coils?
I belive they have already upgrade it, or didn't ???

20012011045.jpg

20012011046.jpg

where are the tyres rubbing Pedro? Are you happy with ride comfort other than this rubbing? You probably don't want to be bottoming out on extended bump stops at high speed, that wouldn't be nice for keeping control. I think you are going to say they rub on the wheel arch flares in which case take your wheel spacers off or fit a body lift would be my advice :)

Hi Pedro,

Looking at your pictures, I'd agree with Jon and recommend you take your wheel spacers off and try the same stretch of road where you know you've had problems before.

Best of luck,
Toby
1990 HDJ80
1994 HDJ80

Are you based in Maputo Pedro? Have you been up Niassa NP way and if you have, what is it like?

Hi Simon.

Niassa has a special beauty.
The main city is stagnated in time since 74, with five paved roads and all the others in dirt.
The main traffic is composed by bicycles. The dirt roads are red meaning that in the raining season you can take one full day to make 30km (mud). For agricultural investment Niassa province is very good and in the Colonial times us to feed all Mozambique.
There are special game reserves where you can find elephants and Buffalo and all the predators like lions and hyenas.
Regarding the geography off the land you can find platoes and some mountains, specially if your intension is the grand lake.
The lake is beautiful and has some good resorts waiting for costumers.
The main city population (special the expatriates) is very small and friendly.

hope this input can help you, and by the way, do you intent to visit the Niassa province?

Back