Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Land Cruiser II

Hi bud , i get 25.9mpg from my kzj78 series lwb Auto .and thats on a long distance run :auto-swerve:

i echo Jims comments - go for the 3.0 if you can find one - ideally with a rear locker as well (hens teeth I think).

I have a 2.4 diesel, auto, 21mpg is an ambition, as is 70mph !

The 2.4 have a reputation for cracking heads, although the 3.0 isnt immune, but then neither would most 15 to 18 year old vehicles.

Those that love them, love them. May those that dont live long enoughto see the error of their ways.....

Pete

Pete E said:
Gents,

I've never owned a Land Cruiser, but I am quite taken with them after briefly using various models in the 70 & 75 Series in South Africa..

I don't think these were ever imported in any great numbers to the UK, but I do see the odd Land Cruiser 2 about..I know these were designated "Light Duty" but what are the main differences between the comparable 70 Series Model?

I believe the Lightduty still had beam axles and coil springs all round? So what made it "light duty"???

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Peter

Main differences between the HJ and LJ are:
HJ had 9.5 inch axles
HJ Leaf sprung.
LJ had 8" axles or the hilux running gear.
LJ coil springs all round.

Well thats the differences for UK models, I seem to remember somewhere that the new HJ one's hs coil springs,but they dont sell them over here :sick: ....

Martin.

Don't get the wrong idea about the "light Duty" label that Toyota have given the 70 series in the UK. We are not talking "weak" as in Land-Rover diffs. and half-shafts. The chances of you breaking the standard Toyota fittings is extremely rare. Unlike Land-Rover parts, no one makes extra strong this or that, simply because they are not required.

The term Light duty is simply there to differentiate between the heavy duty units fitted to the more truck like vehicles in the Toyota range, usually destined for Australia, South Africa or South America.

Roger

MartinNaylor said:
Pete E said:
Gents,

I've never owned a Land Cruiser, but I am quite taken with them after briefly using various models in the 70 & 75 Series in South Africa..

I don't think these were ever imported in any great numbers to the UK, but I do see the odd Land Cruiser 2 about..I know these were designated "Light Duty" but what are the main differences between the comparable 70 Series Model?

I believe the Lightduty still had beam axles and coil springs all round? So what made it "light duty"???

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Peter

Main differences between the HJ and LJ are:
HJ had 9.5 inch axles
HJ Leaf sprung.
LJ had 8" axles or the hilux running gear.
LJ coil springs all round.

Well thats the differences for UK models, I seem to remember somewhere that the new HJ one's hs coil springs,but they dont sell them over here :sick: ....

Martin.

I will reply to myself :), Also the differencies I have found between the LJ70 and KZJ70 are:
KZ came with an R150 gearbox, the LJ has an R151, the 150 has a slightly longer 1st gear.
Diff ratio's on the KZ are 4.56, LJ Ratios are 4.88(well 1991 and up, or the square light model).
LSD in the back for 91 and up.

I have had two KZJ70's or 0.3% of the KZJ70's ever imported in the UK :D and would highly recommend the engine over 2.4.
The first one overheated really badly when I plugged the radiator with mud and decided to hit some long hills on the way home from a course we attended(stupid clay mud pits :whistle: ), I only noticed when it was too late!, the radiator was pulsing when I opened the bonnet. :cry:, it still ran though, just no oil pressure once warmed up.
I get about 27-29mpg on long runs, sitting around 60/70.

Back