Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Land Cruiser KZJ95.............

SafariTecPeter

Country Flag
norway
After abit of "offtime" I`d thought I`d look back in & say HI:)
In the past I have had a few threads going on both the J9 and J10

Circumstances have now brought a manual 1996 KZJ95 to me for a very attractive sum.
I am now the 3.rd owner since new, the car had one owner up to 2014 & has a full service record since new.
Even have the originale bill of sale from the Toyo-dealer:innocent:
It has now just gone past the 500`000km mark. There are a few battle scares and some cosmetic corrosion that I need to rectify before the winter kicks in...
Technically the car is very sound. A new servo pump is due and the T-Belt lamp has just lit up.
Nothing I cant sort out on an afternoon ;)

The plan is to build a (budget) Weekend offroader som that a family of 3 car hit the back roads and go wild camping. I already have a Maggi RTT and a Awning kicking about. The genuine Toyota roof rails & crossbars will most likely be passed on to my mates 90 only to be replaced by a roof rack. Possibly Front Runner...
Which in turn calls for a rear ladder.... Type, style & location to be decided on
A leisure battery setup is due for the back. A winch is on the wanted list, possibly complimented with a descent bumper.
The drivers seat is toast, I have some nice Recaros that would be "more appropriate" :blush:
Still undecided on tyres & suspention. The current street-rubber will eventually go. Strongly considering 255`s on steel rims. OME +2" suspention with TüV is definately in my mind...
Some good lights will be added all round.
In essence I will pick alot of the gear off the my shelves, no need for it to collect more dust..........

As in some of my past threads, I will be looking at tuning the engine too.
So some free flowing exhaust, an IC ++ is due.
Need pointers on fuel side of things. The injectors will be done. What about the pump?
Hints will be greatly appreciated!

Alot of ideas are buzzing through my head.
That being said I will need to keep an eye on funds & time spent on this. None of the 2 is available in free flowing amounts at the moment :grimacing:

Pics to follow, the "Green Beast" did not have shampoo at hand during this mornings downpour:kissing:

Last edited:
Knowing you don't do things by half measures Peter i would like very much for someone to test these http://www.kaiapoirepowers.co.nz/product/1kzte-injectors/ , on inquiry they suggested i include a boost box with my purchase which either tricks or deletes Toyota's fuel cut off which prevents boost being increased beyond 14psi .

Thank You for Your kind Words Shayne, Appreciated!

The injectors in the link seem interesting! I may have to get in touch with them.
I may also check out what Terrain Tamer can cough up....

Reg the tune box, I have in the past driven a KZJ95 with a KCR Tune box. The thing did make quite a difference... but they are becomming rare in my corner...
I may have to tap into Your experience & knowledge on these point Shayne if You don`t mind :)

Right now I will concentrate on getting the technical bits sorted, then some of the (pressing) corrosion issues. Lucilly no welding seems to be required at this stage.

The "nice to have" bits will come along as we need them and time permittes.
For NOW a calendaric goal will be the "Adventure Northside" show just East of Hamburg early October. Hope to drive down the Cruiser & meet up with some 4x4-buddies

Messing around abit today......

The backrest on the drivers seat is stuck in an "inappropriate" position....
Is this a known issue? Quick fix?
New seats are due YES, but untill they are with me, I`d like to sit properly.....
Pointers greatly appreciated :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back rest ? lumbar support maybe , if so the is a little lever on the side of the upper part of the seat to adjust with .

The lumbat support is fine
It is the complete back rest thats stuck in an akward position. The leaver is free to move but notengaging or activating what is should.
May have to strip down the seat....
Worst case tack the thing in place untill replacement is sourced which is not ideal.....

Not much done the past week.
The replacement servopump that came in seems to be wrong...
Flushing the system has helped tremendously, so for now she is "fine".......
An oil change was due, the old 4-pot has been getting new oil and filter every 7500 km based on available service records. I intent to keep it up.
The timing belt was also delayed.... ticked me off seriously. Should be with me over the WE.
I then stumpled across a set of basically new & unused genuine steel rims..... They are a bit narrow for my liking, but... I then yesterday picked up the new rubber; BFG M/T`s in 255/85R16
I have now set my mind on getting modular style rims, 7x16. The style SHAYNE has...
I thought I had a source that would ship them to me, but thats still pending... Pointers or reliable sources would be greatly appreciated :)

The sluggish start is bugging me. The glow relay seems "sick"... so that needs sorting. May replace the glow plugs too.
Some other parts came in, nothing big or shiny... I need to cure a leak on the intake manifold.
Still debating on the Intercooler options. I am infact considering FMIC....-> Abit more complex but parts are way more affordable.
IF I get some time today&tomorrow, I need to look further into the back rest issue. The seat-position is getting to me....

Last edited:
I'm now running 16x10 with a 35mm negative offset and 305/70/R16 Toyo mud's . Up from 16x8 -38 with 285/75/R16 . I like skinny though , it helps when you can pick em up by one ankle :lol:

Any pointers as to where I can get them modularstyle rims then?

As I don`t have fender flares, skinny tyres is the way to go for me I recon.....

Search for 139.7 steel wheels and you should find them easy enough .

Fair Point Shayne, So I will do
Sometimes I like to shop from sources that come with a healthy reputation :-0

When i got my last lot just recently i found everyone to be selling the same wheels but Gojo i think mine are called , the old set your more likely to have seen were from extremeoffsetwheels , i thought the company had gone but later learned they just shifted from google to facebook and i don't think they sell 4x4 wheels any more .

The lumbat support is fine
It is the complete back rest thats stuck in an akward position. The leaver is free to move but notengaging or activating what is should.
May have to strip down the seat....
Worst case tack the thing in place untill replacement is sourced which is not ideal.....

Peter, I have the same seat problem on passenger side, no recline and cannot tip forward - I have a 3 door. There is a small plate deep inside the hinge on the seat that has a piece sticking out which the lever pushes on. When that shears you cannot adjust the seat. But, if you pull apart at the bottom of the seat at the rear there is a round bar (rod) connecting both sides of the seat. You can clamp mole grips on this and adjust the seat to the best position and remove the mole grips.

Hi KJM

Thank You very much for Your input.
I have been suspecting something like what You suggest. I did a similar thing to another car way way back in time...
I?ll get around to try Your fix soon. The very upright driving position does NOT suit me :-0

Last edited:
I can't advise you on offset with you having no flares but i can tell you the 90 likes a negative one , search the forum for Diesel Dragon , if i have the name right he had some issues using alternative steel wheels without flares , it might give you some pointers before you buy .

That would be my next hurdle to conquer Shayne :)
The offset indeed is vital, I shall sort it right the first time around
I know others run the genuine Toyo 3-spoke Alloy comfortabley with my intended tyre-combo & no flares. Must check what offset they have. I have them rims on my spikes wintertyres....

Back