Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Land Cruiser LJ70 engine temperature too low

Arno

With summer approaching the engine temperature of my LJ70 TD2.4 was simply too low after a 30 minute drive.

I noticed it earlier though didn't worry about it too much - it was a very slow change covering weeks.

With day temperature at 32 degrees Celsius (89 F) and the engine temp gauge still at low, i decided to change the thermostat.

Have a look;

Before the thermostat change temperature hardly came above 64 degrees Celsius (147 F) with a 88 Celsius Thermostat.

Afterwards with a new Thermostat engine temperature is 82 Degrees Celsius (179 F)
Dashboard gauge showed a normal reading again.

The original thermostat came without a rubber seal, which also acts as a gasket in the thermostat housing.

LC-forum.jpg

The original rubber seal was still ok, but better to have it handy in case it rips when pulling the thermostat from the housing.

A slow moving Thermostat failure - it seems it started opening way too soon.

Cheers
Arno

View attachment 91008

Last edited:
Hi Arno

I have a similar problem where my gauge indicates that the engine is running too cool on my 80 series. I installed a new thermostat but the gauge is still indicating a low temperature. That gadget you were using to check the actual temperature of your engine looks useful. Please let me know what it is and where I might buy one.

Thanks.

Byron

Back