Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Land Cruiser Long Design service life

SteveS

I noticed at the weekend that Overland Journal posted an article on FB/expedition portal about overland truck depreciation "Overland Trucks: the winners and losers". The 100 Series comes out pretty well, but what interested me was that in the article they said that the 100 had a designed service life of 500,000 miles. We know that they're strong but does anyone have definitive knowledge of the 500,000 mile design criteria???

This doesn't surprise me hugely. Although I would image that's assuming the truck is always serviced on time and gets replacement parts at recommended intervals. It also probably doesn't account for things like the rust issues with salted roads, or the seemingly impossible ability of some people to break stuff.

My 95 is just about halfway there, and doing well on it.. Don't think it will ever see half a mill though

This doesn't surprise me hugely. Although I would image that's assuming the truck is always serviced on time and gets replacement parts at recommended intervals. It also probably doesn't account for things like the rust issues with salted roads, or the seemingly impossible ability of some people to break stuff.

My 95 is just about halfway there, and doing well on it.. Don't think it will ever see half a mill though

You may be surprised Bob, I have seen several Toyo diesels do that sort of miles. Have been in Carina taxis over the years with 500k plus on origional running gear, I also broke a Carina of my own for export that was over 350k, not sure exact miles because the speedo (and odometer) died a good while before I stopped using it as a DD. I can also tell you it did the last 50k without a service.

It is more that they become uneconomic to repair, rather than dead as such. All that emissions and 'safety' testing BS doesn't help either.

I'd well believe it could do it, I've seen one with 420,000 on it. For me, I can't see myself running it as a daily driver for another 8 years. I'll probably keep it though.....

Back