Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Landcruiser 100 Shifting thud

MrT4life

Country Flag
kenya
Hello all,

I have searched the forum but not found anything specific to the problem i am having with my 100 series.

i have a 2005 amazon 4.2TD with auto 5 speed. The issue is a thud sound that comes when you're downshifting or sometimes even when your coasting. What i mean by that is if you're going on the highway at about 80kph and you let go of the accelerator just to coast, then after a few seconds you press it again to pick up speed, you fell a thud in the centre of the car but coming from the rear end.

I have checked backlash, prop shaft greasing and all mounts and everything seems to be fine.

Has anyone experienced similar? if so what was the fix?

Hello all,

I have searched the forum but not found anything specific to the problem i am having with my 100 series.

i have a 2005 amazon 4.2TD with auto 5 speed. The issue is a thud sound that comes when you're downshifting or sometimes even when your coasting. What i mean by that is if you're going on the highway at about 80kph and you let go of the accelerator just to coast, then after a few seconds you press it again to pick up speed, you fell a thud in the centre of the car but coming from the rear end.

I have checked backlash, prop shaft greasing and all mounts and everything seems to be fine.
:text-welcomeconfet:

You haven't greased the props recently? have you tried removing the grease nipples from the sliding yokes and then driving around for a while?

In order of easiest AND most likely to hardest and least likely

Grease driveshaft joints - Don't overgrease!
Check and replace wheel hub splines and CV axle splines - there should be 0 (zero) play.
Front differential bushings
Rear control arms bushings

Especially on high mileage ( 300-400k km+) it's more likely to be the last two

You haven't greased the props recently? have you tried removing the grease nipples from the sliding yokes and then driving around for a while?

Will have to double check on that. How will removing the grease nipples help if you dont mind me asking?

In order of easiest AND most likely to hardest and least likely

Grease driveshaft joints - Don't overgrease!
Check and replace wheel hub splines and CV axle splines - there should be 0 (zero) play.
Front differential bushings
Rear control arms bushings

Especially on high mileage ( 300-400k km+) it's more likely to be the last two

hub and axle splines are ok..no play.. Also all bushes were recently replaced...
Will have to try greasing and see..

i have also been told that a slightly worn out output shaft could be causing that as well. anyone have any info on that?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Will have to double check on that. How will removing the grease nipples help if you dont mind me asking?
Removing the grease nipples from the sliding yokes only, not the prop shaft UJ's, will allow excess grease to escape, if the sliding yokes have been over greased.

Just remove the front and rear nipples and drive around for a while, it's as simple as that.

Just one option to eliminate.

Hello all,

May I ASK, HOW DID THIS WORK OUT, I have the same issue..
DiD you fix the thud,

Back