Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Landcruiser Colorado KZJ KDJ 90 series AFN bumper .

Yep, expanded metal was what sprang to mind here too, sprayed black of course.
You could have a plate made with louvres in and mount it so the louvres are horizontal. That might take more punishment and look the part while channeling air in the right direction.

The mesh will be welded into a frame so it doesn't need to be very strong but the stuff normally used for cars would likely melt before i got an arc near it .

Found some perforated stainless which looks alright i think

Bumperwinch 001.JPG

Because i wasn't ready to fit the winch and the bumper was secure enough held on by the recovery eye bolts for the Romania trip i forgot about bolting through the chassis and headed off to Lincomb . It was only when i needed winched out that i realized i had also forgotten to replace the recovery eyes :doh:

So i had to put the strap through the hawse fairlead which is a good foot above the recovery bolts and attach it to a large loose shackle , not the best solution but with nothing else to attach a rope :confusion-shrug: it worked anyway .

Sods law and silly angles meant my rescuers winch (many thanks Andy :thumbup:) was pulling down on the bumper and shifted it forward slightly . Today's investigation revealed the bracket has bent a little which oddly enough pleases me because it means my dodgy welding is stronger than 5 or 6mm steel and that the bumper would have held firm had the bolts through the chassis been in place .

Heat and a big hammer will straighten things up but i will have to get a shop to do it because i don't have an oxy torch .

bent bumper 001.JPG
bent bumper 002.JPG
bent bumper 003.JPG

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
You were too busy stuffing your face with an entire chicken farm Nick :lol:

Nah it wasn't noticeable the arch had already popped a bit when i arrived at Lincomb , heat warp while welding , and i had started to pull it off today before remembering we all like pics .

That's a damn shame Shayne, that bumper looked perfect to me the way you got it to fit nice and close.

Will it go back do you think?

It will be fine Clive the bumper isn't bent you can see on the bracket where the recovery bolts are used to fix it to chassis , that's where it bent . You can also see another sleeved bolt in the pic which just sat on top of the chassis so i could hang everything in place while lining up bolts , had it been through the chassis as the plan demands nothing would have moved . All told its give me confidence that the bumper and bracket will be plenty strong enough in its finished state .

Good news it's not bent Shayne, it's a devil to straighten thick steel like that.

I've a slight kink on the flat plate on the top of my ARB front, from when a little red Matiz decided to disembowel itself using my truck as a can opener.

The tip of the return of the bumper was displaced by no more than 10mm, but to get that back in shape took a piece of 15x15 timber 4m long with tabs welded to the bumper to transfer the force to the metal.

It would move up to 60mm, but then spring back to where it was!

Eventually, and with some heat, we got it the right shape, but the deformed top plate will always give it away.

I think only I can see it, it's a tiny ripple (the Matiz wasn't so lucky).

Do you mean the Matiz was reduced to a tiny ripple? :)

@Clice pics speak a thousand words mate but if i'm imagining correctly welding a shorter bar directly on to the bend super heating it as you do would probably allow you to put it back then chuck a bucket of water over it while still holding the bar . It's by the by now though we share that trait of seeing fault where nobody else can as you know .

You would need to let it cool naturally Shayne else you would stand a chance of it becoming hardened and brittle.

Can't argue with that Rich and your comment made me think .

A ripple in a straight edge is a weakness , only one side of my bumper bracket bent despite the pull being from the middle of the bumper , i had already popped the wheel arch because part of the bracket warped while it was welded , that's the side that bent .
I tried today to work out how i might heat bend/straighten it , and i would be happy to harden it with water if i could because it would still be to strong to break but its not going to happen as the shape of the bracket means it would have to be bolted to the truck to get it right and nobody is gonna lend me an oxy torch to take home . So cut grind and brace to get it straight again is what i should do .

Trucks jacked up on the bumper as we speak but nothing has moved .

@Clice pics speak a thousand words mate but if i'm imagining correctly welding a shorter bar directly on to the bend super heating it as you do would probably allow you to put it back then chuck a bucket of water over it while still holding the bar . It's by the by now though we share that trait of seeing fault where nobody else can as you know .

Ufff, its dark Shayne. And it won't show on a photo.... Proving that only I can see it....

But tomorrow, I'll try to remember, just to please... :icon-rolleyes:

For now, as it's your thread and I won't be accused of jacking (will I?) the pic below is not my bumper but I can refer to it to explain, in more detail, because my description wasn't so good...

IMG_6448.JPG

So, picture this. I was stationary, and the Matiz approached me from behind at about 60kph, out of control, and cut across my bows, glancing the pointy bit of the bumper where it points toward the back of my truck, where it sits under the front plastic arch.

With me?

The pointy bit entered the tin-foil of the Matiz and unzipped it, from the front edge of its door skin right the way along to the rear light cluster. The door skin tore right off and the rear panel simply opened up like the Titanic, I could see her coat on the back seat through the gash :lol:

This lifted the pointy bit, at the pointy end, by about 10mm.

So with tack welds, bits of metal tags, and some ropes and straps, I used a 4m length of heavy timber to bend the pointy bit back down again. Took a lot of heaving, even with so much leverage.

However, where the hoop tube meets the flat top of the bumper, there's a very slight kink left in the flat plate, the bit behind the hoop tube in the above photo.

Flat is flat, and it looks flat.

Kinked flat is not flat and it looks kinked.

End of.

And her insurance refused to buy me a new bumper, "because it wasn't OEM".

I said "if it had have been OEM, you'd spend €1,000 + on a new Toyota one".

"yes" they said.

"So give me €1,000 towards a new ARB".

"No".

"Why?"

"Cos it's not OEM"

Uffff. :angry-screaming:

Water under the bridge, or spilt milk, whatever... :lol:

The point I was making is that thick steel is hard to bend and even harder to straighten.

That's why I was happy that you didn't actually bend your lovely new bumper!

Back