Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

landcruiser hand brakes !!!!!!!

rnaylor

Country Flag
australia
I love my 80 series cruiser but how the hell do i get the dam hand brake to work well constantly?????????? Just to add I don't think I'm a dick head I'm a mechanic with about 45 years of experience & I've never had any luck with cruiser H/brakes . I'm talking about cruisers with rear disc brakes with the H/brake shoes inside the disc rotor . We spend a lot of time in the Victorian high country during winter & a good hand brake is handy , I,m sick of use tree's as a hand brake . IS THERE A SOLUTION :)

Firstly welcome to the Forum, and yes there is many a solution and a quick search will lead you to more than one thread on this board about the trials, tribulations and woes of the handbrake on these fantastic vehicles, click this link for example DOGBONES.

And when you get a chance please do introduce yourself to us in the Lounge and tell us all about your truck, we are a friendly if slightly misunderstood crowd on this site and we love pictures and stories about these trucks and the trouble we get into with them.

I think the prob is that they dont have self adjusters. one improvement would be to fit a spliced cable, pulling direct to each hub to remove some of the slop. Other than that make sure all the components are moving free and take the adjusters in the hub well up and then add a few turns at the handbrake lever when its starting to feel sloppy again. If all else fails deploy the ground anchor.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Have ran into same problem with aftermarket shoes not being made to genuine standards and having to modified brackets to push completely out to drum. You can destroy good cables and brackets for cheap shoes.

RTFM. "Only use genuine Toyota parts". I assume all 80's were made the same so your 80 should be OK. Mine has done 150k miles and has all original handbrake components. always worked perfectly but I always adjust the shoes as per WSM and have adjusted the cable where it joins the HB lever as IR' said.

I.M.O the extended dog bones are just a cheat fix for a problem cheap enough to fix anyway , rear brake disks last forever and so who looks at them .

When i decided to overhaul brakes by having all calipers refurbished and 4 new disks i was shocked how much wear i could see inside the drum where handbrake shoes meet it .

New standard bones and accessories coupled with new rear disks and i'm pretty sure i could do a handbrake turn in my swb 90 .

I.M.O the extended dog bones are just a cheat fix for a problem cheap enough to fix anyway , rear brake disks last forever and so who looks at them .

When i decided to overhaul brakes by having all calipers refurbished and 4 new disks i was shocked how much wear i could see inside the drum where handbrake shoes meet it .

New standard bones and accessories coupled with new rear disks and i'm pretty sure i could do a handbrake turn in my swb 90 .
I think your right there shane, i ended up grinding my after market dog bones down a little, probable to the same dimensions as new oem...

I just had a splash of weld put on each dog bone to give an extra 2mm I think. Worked a treat and got it done with the truck in bits.

Weld a bit, grind a bit. How will I explain handbrake failed ran over johnny ? Because I saved $$ worked hrs to make the $100 cheaper aftermarket shoe fit,was there a Toyota recall on hand brake shoes. Always set the bar high.

You misunderstand Savage we are talking circa 20 years of metal on metal friction , the dog bone is little more than a door wedge , it cannot fail it will not suffer fatigue it just gets a few mm shorter with age and use . To restore it to its original length with weld is to make it new again .

To fit slightly longer aftermarket dog bones is to make up for wear on the inner drum of brake disks and adjusters which again is perfectly safe because it just returns things to original spec , the drum is never going to wear so much it fails .

Your the first to mention cheap aftermarket brake shoes ?

Shayne is right. We're not bodging something here. We have a very strict annual vehicle exam here and the only thing that the Cruiser can fail on is a defective handbrake. It's always been the same. Since we've been doing this repair and setting up the rear brake this way, I don't think we've had another failure. If you've not read the guide then you really should. It actually led to FNB in Oz manufacturing slightly longer dog bones.

Here's a quick explanation of why the brake is so poor. (I'll put this on the original thread too)

There's no lubrication in there and lots of metal on metal contact. The shoes are a perfect fit on the bench when you place them inside the drum against the wall. Well, they SHOULD be but due to manufacturing tolerances they sometimes aren't. When you set the shoes up with the little cog wheel at the bottom of the wheel, it winds the shoes out against the drum until the touch. But it only winds the bottom; in other words they pivot around the top point. What happens is that the first bit of the shoe to touch the brake drum effectively stops any further adjustment. So you pull on the handbrake lever and get a fantastic feeling handbrake. Wow, that's brilliant. Then off you go, find a hill, pull up, stick the brake on, let the main brakes off and you just slide down the hill. Sound familiar?
This is because only a tiny portion of the friction lining is actually touching the brake drum. No way near enough. What you can do next is drive along and just keep applying the handbrake in 100 m bursts. Relatively gently and only a few applications to prevent it getting too hot. This is actually in the factory service manual. What it does is sort of machine off friction material until it's the same shape as the inside of the drum. But there are limits and whilst it does work, it doesn't always prove to be enough. You will probably have to adjust the brake again when you have finished.

Right, if that doesn't work and you have removed all the free play in the mech as I describe in the set up method, then it's time to mess with the dog bones. What this does is push the tops of the shoes out a bit more so that when the adjuster is turned or the lever is pulled, the shoes make a different contact pattern with the brake drum surface. So adding a small weld or a longer bone simply isn't going to end in disaster. We're talking a couple of mm extra. If you do too much, you can't get the drum back on!

Valid points Chris and if off roading perhaps more dirt gets in than not and I expect there would be more wear.

I'd forgotten I'd replaced my rear discs but used the old shoes as according to FWM they were within tolerance. Fortunately the HB worked OK but with smaller internal diameter of the new drum the shoes must have been rubbing on their ends.

Ahh, now off roading is a different thing. I don't know why Frank but a perfectly set up HB can last ages but the second you off road and introduce huge flexing then it turns to s***. It's not the dirt that is the cause. There's something going on when you flex the axles that either pulls on the cables or something which just knocks the HB out for sure. I think that all round it's a poor design. I'd have preferred two cables and a compensator bar to begin with. Chrisgreen90 did successfully transplant an Avensis disc handbrake system to a Collie. Now that would have stopped a moving train. It was very good.

7E9726D9-518A-4A2B-8082-4367779198C8.jpeg
This looks like a good solution!

Ahh yes we did have a play with that idea. There was a company selling one for the 70 series which people messed around with but in the end even the company making them ditched the idea. You have to be careful with prop brakes because whilst it stops the prop turning it's not actually working on the wheels themselves. So apply the brake, and jack up one corner and you'll find the car can roll away - unless you have locked the rear diff of course.

If you apply a tranny handbrake with car moving you can rip the back axle to pieces. also there is usually a very short linkage with no spring in it so you need a very fine toothed ratchet or a spring with a stop. On my my first Range Rover I had parked it outside a house on a hill. Whilst inside the house I happened to look through the window and saw the postman trying to stop the RR. It had started rolling but he had managed to open the drivers door and was running alongside it trying to put the HB on.

Back