Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Landcruiser Throttle issues

Graeme Sellers

Hi All,

I'm looking for some advice in relation to an issue I have with my 05 100 Series cruiser, 4.2 Litre FTD
She has 240,000 Klms on the clock, so I understand parts break down.

My issue started two weeks ago when the engine management light come on while coming home from a weekend away.

I turned the ignition off, and this reset the engine management light.
Two weeks later the light came on again and the problem is now contineous, with the cruiser in LIMP mode.
The Autoscan indictes the Throttle Pedal sensor, or code P1222.
Toyota have not been able to assist with this code number, and I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge in relation to my problem you may have experienced yourself.

I have been told that Toyota will probably change all throttle sensors and possible the Throttle body control for about $2000.00

I look forward to your thoughts.

Regards

Graeme

It looks like P1222 covers a fault in quite a few components. The service manual lists Open or short in diesel throttle position switch circuit, diesel throttle body, diesel throttle position, engine ECU. There are instructions to perform diagnostics in the service manual but you'll need to be handy with a multimeter to be any use to you.

I've a LC 4.2 HDJ101, Diesel, mileage 303,000 km.
Lately, I notice when I accelerate my vehicle from stand still, when it reaches 2,500 rpm. When I release the pedal, it'll remain at 2,500 rpm and will not go down even if I release the pedal. The only way to reduce the rpm is to move the gear to Neutral from Drive.

I remove the pedal assembly and found that It've been change and quite new as I got the vehicle second hand 3 years back. Everything with the pedal and sensor looks new. But when I send it to Toyota, the mechanic pull something which I did not notice, above the Brake pedal. It works well, but after a few days, It's back to same problem again.

Can I shorten the Spring by 5-6 mm to increase the strength of the pull back to normal position for the pedal? The sensor, looks sealed. What's the best solution? Thank you

InkedImageUploadedByTapatalk1415304118.309230_LI.jpg
Hello everyone,

I had the P1222 code on my Toy HDJ100.
It was just a broken wire here (see picture).
Toyota dealer made me change many things before I found the solution on the forum.
Thank you so much for this forum.

Nicolas
HDJ 100 , 410 000KM and still running very well !

I've a LC 4.2 HDJ101, Diesel, mileage 303,000 km.
Lately, I notice when I accelerate my vehicle from stand still, when it reaches 2,500 rpm. When I release the pedal, it'll remain at 2,500 rpm and will not go down even if I release the pedal. The only way to reduce the rpm is to move the gear to Neutral from Drive.

I remove the pedal assembly and found that It've been change and quite new as I got the vehicle second hand 3 years back. Everything with the pedal and sensor looks new. But when I send it to Toyota, the mechanic pull something which I did not notice, above the Brake pedal. It works well, but after a few days, It's back to same problem again.

Can I shorten the Spring by 5-6 mm to increase the strength of the pull back to normal position for the pedal? The sensor, looks sealed. What's the best solution? Thank you

This may be a really daft suggestion. However, I had the exact same problem as yourself until I noticed after a couple of days that I had inadvertently put my power heater switch on. I offer this just in case there is a remote chance you have done the same thing.

Last edited:
View attachment 147610 Hello everyone,

Toyota dealer made me change many things before I found the solution on the forum.

Nicolas

Hi Nicolas

Which wire on the plug was broken and was it broken in the plug or further down?

Cheers

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
View attachment 147610 Hello everyone,

Nicolas
As with Nicolas.. Check for the easy simple stuff, Like broken wire. I had an open/close circuit fault on a 120 (Turbo related) Everyone wanted 2/3 grand for a new turbo or actuator Bla Bla turned out to be a simple broken wire took 15mins to repair. it was the same with an open/close circuit on a seat position sensor that turned out to be a broken wire... SO check the simple silly things first ... Remember Toyota electrics are the second worse in the world.. A close second behind Fiat:lol:

Back