Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LC100 buying advice - AHC pistons & drive shaft pics

Miles0

Country Flag
great_britain
Hi Guys,

Looking to get back into a 100 series in the UK, having had a 470 living in Texas.

Trucks here are a little pricier, and a lot rustier - finding a keeper seems to be taking a bit of time.

I went to see one in relatively decent knick at the weekend; underbody had been well protected, so frame corrosion was minimal, but there were a few concerns I wanted to see if people could help me on:

1. the rear AHC pistons are corroded and look a little damp. I didn't manage to get up to see the spheres. Question is - how bad do these really look? Is this cause for immediate or longer term concern?

2. The UJs on the drive shaft also look wet at the gearbox end - wondering if this is indicative of a transmission issue?

Overall trying to work out whether I'm looking at some near term AHC and transmission issues, or whether for the age (this is an '05) this is par for the course.

Much appreciated,

Hi Guys,

Looking to get back into a 100 series in the UK, having had a 470 living in Texas.

Trucks here are a little pricier, and a lot rustier - finding a keeper seems to be taking a bit of time.

I went to see one in relatively decent knick at the weekend; underbody had been well protected, so frame corrosion was minimal, but there were a few concerns I wanted to see if people could help me on:

1. the rear AHC pistons are corroded and look a little damp. I didn't manage to get up to see the spheres. Question is - how bad do these really look? Is this cause for immediate or longer term concern?

2. The UJs on the drive shaft also look wet at the gearbox end - wondering if this is indicative of a transmission issue?

Overall trying to work out whether I'm looking at some near term AHC and transmission issues, or whether for the age (this is an '05) this is par for the course.

Much appreciated,

Hi,

Whats the mileage, theres nothing bad in those pictures that I can see.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Jibberjabber - it's on 132k and otherwise looks pretty good.

Thanks Jibberjabber - it's on 132k and otherwise looks pretty good.
A little damp on the pistons, shocks, rams or what ever you want call them is not to much of a concern as long as they are not dripping, the shrouds on the pistons are a bit flimsy and dosen't take much to rust them through, but yours don't look to bad, and even if they were rusted away it wont affect the operation of the rams.

The wet on the prop shaft UJ's could be due to excessive grease or a sign of the UJ's wearing out, there not to bad to change.

The cam belt should have been changed 42k ago, your main concern as you rightly point out is rust, if you do a search on this site, there are threads about where to look for the most common places for rust on a Land Cruiser 100, if it's been half looked after rust is not usually a problem as they are not rust buckets.

And do your home work on the cost of the Land Cruiser.

Hope this helps, Good luck.

Rear pistons just starting to get wet, May need replacement in the future but not immediately, I replaced mine with genuine Toyota ones from Milner at £180 ish each, reasonable price IMO but a bit of a fiddle to fit.
Prop should be wet greasy from expelled grease, shows it has had some maintenance, I always lube my UJs until the grease flows out and the sliders just a few pumps, regularly is the key.
Lastly rust is the number 1 problem with these moving forward also there is a fair amount of electrical equipment on the cars so just take your time to test all functions.

Back