Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LC120 long range/auxiliary/emergency fuel tank idea

Animal Mother

Country Flag
wales
Browsing ebay, as we all do, I spotted something pretty interesting which could be used as an auxiliary/emergency fuel tank on a 120.

BMW E30 M3s often came with an auxiliary long range petrol tank of about 15l. The size and shape of the tank looks like it would fit nicely along the chassis rails of an LC so I thought I'd pick one up.

It allegedly comes with an integrated pump.

My idea is that, with the pump, and a 3 way switch, it can be used to transfer diesel into/out of the main tank.

I'll need help with sorting it out so may call upon some of you skilled people on here. If it's a no go I'm sure it will be easy to sell on as these are often listed on ebay for over £100 (I'm not paying that much for the one I got).

Any thoughts, ideas, comments. If you categorically think it can't happen (or is some way not legal) please let me know.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

This is what it looks like fitted to a BMW.
attachment.php?attachmentid=145666&d=1409585385.jpg

Diagram for original fitting.
1py.png

Browsing ebay, as we all do, I spotted something pretty interesting which could be used as an auxiliary/emergency fuel tank on a 120.

BMW E30 M3s often came with an auxiliary long range petrol tank of about 15l. The size and shape of the tank looks like it would fit nicely along the chassis rails of an LC so I thought I'd pick one up.

It allegedly comes with an integrated pump.

My idea is that, with the pump, and a 3 way switch, it can be used to transfer diesel into/out of the main tank.

I'll need help with sorting it out so may call upon some of you skilled people on here. If it's a no go I'm sure it will be easy to sell on as these are often listed on ebay for over £100 (I'm not paying that much for the one I got).

Any thoughts, ideas, comments. If you categorically think it can't happen (or is some way not legal) please let me know.

View attachment 137144
View attachment 137145
View attachment 137146

This is what it looks like fitted to a BMW.
View attachment 137147

Diagram for original fitting.
View attachment 137148

Think I'd spend 20 quid on a jerry can.

In aus the cheap way to get a long range tank on a 120 is to fit one from a 95 series

And to get a long range tank on a 95 is to fit a 120 tank

E30 M3 parts as pull-offs for other vehicles? Americans would kill for those thoughts.. haha, but are they really worth nothing 'over there'?

Very, very saught after cars over here. The last of anything real from the Motorsport division.

If its only 15l i'd have to question ifs its really worth the messing around???

Good use of otherwise dead space tho I guess.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
In trying perhaps to answer the original question, just consider the main ways that a spare tank can be fitted.

You can have a separate tank and a pump to send fuel over to the main tank as you describe. Planes do this using the fuel to balance the aircraft.

You can have a separate tank and a change over valve so that the fuel goes direct to the shared fuel pump

Or

You can have a second tank which is simply connected via pipe to the main tank effectively increasing the capacity of the whole system. The pipe needs to be large enough so that when you fill up the second tank fills as quickly. This is the simplest of all as it doesn't need a pump or fancy valves. But your main fuel gauge will fall in a different way.

The first option would need a pick up and pump that was rated for fuel, a breather, some way to get the fuel in via the same filler cap.

The second needs the filler, and a pair of solenoids to change over the fuel pick up and return. You can't return fuel to a different tank as it would overfill the tank leading to problems. The advantage with this system is that it's effectively got good back up characteristics. This guards against bad fuel or some blithering idiot putting petrol in by mistake. But it is the most complex and requires either a second fuel gauge or a switch over to the original dash from the spare tank.

The last option is blissfully simple. But still quite an enterprise.

Thank you everyone for your input and ideas. I think if it would be a lot of hassle for little benefit (being only 15l) and my money and time is better spent elsewhere on the LC.

I also consider how remote you are actually going to go. Several trucks I’ve traveled with had full auxiliary tank for routes which just didn’t need it.

I can get 700km off Road with main tank and Jerry’s easily.

I’d agree with those who say it isn’t worth it for 15 litres. If you are remote enough to be wanting to use an aux tank then 15 litres isn’t enough. I carried two Sceptre cans (40litres total) when I drove across the US on trails and back roads, never needed them. I now have an aux tank fitted in my FJ which is 65litres usable vol, even that is small by aux tank standards. The OE aux tank for an FJ is 80litres.

Yeah. I've binned the idea. Obviously getting too excited about projects. :laughing:

Back