Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Lc5 front shocks.

tony rodaway

Country Flag
uk
Hello fellow members.

I have recently changed my front shocks on my LC5 which are electric adjustable.
I bought the wrong shocks as recommended by milner off road based on my registration.
I bought and got fitted but didn't no I had the incorrect shocks but fitted anyway.
My question is since fitting the non adjustable shocks and leaving off the elactric module I seem to be getting a rear hard suspension.
When I hit a speed bump it feels like my rear shocks are not working but they are according to my console switch from comfort to sport mode.
If I switch from sport to comfort mode on my shock adjustable switch in the car I feel the car go bouncy and vice versa.
My problem with hitting bumps hard is only since I removed the front modules and want to no how the system works on the Lc5 model.
I will replace the correct shocks at some point but at £192 each and my mot due soon I just left the new wrong shocks on as was a nightmare to get the old shocks off as one was leaking.
The picture below was my original shock before removing.
Food for thought the modules for the front shocks are £299 each on roughtrax.

IMG-20200212-WA0000.jpg

Hello fellow members.

I have recently changed my front shocks on my LC5 which are electric adjustable.
I bought the wrong shocks as recommended by milner off road based on my registration.
I bought and got fitted but didn't no I had the incorrect shocks but fitted anyway.
My question is since fitting the non adjustable shocks and leaving off the elactric module I seem to be getting a rear hard suspension.
When I hit a speed bump it feels like my rear shocks are not working but they are according to my console switch from comfort to sport mode.
If I switch from sport to comfort mode on my shock adjustable switch in the car I feel the car go bouncy and vice versa.
My problem with hitting bumps hard is only since I removed the front modules and want to no how the system works on the Lc5 model.
I will replace the correct shocks at some point but at £192 each and my mot due soon I just left the new wrong shocks on as was a nightmare to get the old shocks off as one was leaking.
The picture below was my original shock before removing.
Food for thought the modules for the front shocks are £299 each on roughtrax.

View attachment 164126
If I were you I would also change the rear shocks to non adjustable to do away with the adjustable setup altogether , it makes little difference to the ride quality whether in sport or comfort anyway , the rears will be well worn anyway , I have bought a pedders air suspension conversion kit with pedders non adjustable shocks and coil springs from roughtrax for when my air suspension goes wrong for just over £700 , to renew the air suspension and adjustable shocks would cost around £4k for the parts alone , yes the air suspension and adjustable shocks is nice while it is working ok , but not worth the replacement cost when its worn out , especially when compared a good quality replacement setup like Pedders or other top brands , since you have done the front it its a small cost and easy job to do the rear . the air suspension system is completely independent to the electrical adjustable shocks so will not be affected in a change over , then when the air suspension wears out its just a matter of getting a rear coil change over kit with the instructions to disable the lights on the dash by unplugging the module near the front passenger foot well and remove the fuse in the engine bay .

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with you Tony, I replaced my rears for some Monroe shocks from Roughtrax.. About £100 for the Pair Compared to about £300 each for the originals... Made no difference to the ride and the air suspension still worked perfect... Monroe Adventurer they were called Just standard shocks No electronic wizardry.. They are listed on RoughTrax site as compatible non adjustable shocks to suit LC5 120....

Thanks guys for your input and advice and is the peddles convertion kit just rear or front so.
Is the fitting procedure a DIY job at home. :text-bravo:

Thanks guys for your input and advice and is the peddles convertion kit just rear or front so.
Is the fitting procedure a DIY job at home. :text-bravo:
Yes if you have the tools . hold the shaft above the top nut with a mole grip while you undo the top nut , the top nut on some can rust badly and round off , if so just cut it off , watch a youtube video and you will get a idea of what is needed to be done , its defiantly a job that can be done at home . the pedders conversion air suspension kit is for front and rear , have a look on roughtrax they do all the gear if you just want to change shocks or airbags aswell .

I think you guys are correct in me changing to normal shocks.
I had a look at the rear shocks and looks easy enough to fit and remove.
Weather is awful at the minute so will perceve for the time being.

Thanks again guys that's why I find this forum very useful.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yes if you have the tools . hold the shaft above the top nut with a mole grip while you undo the top nut , the top nut on some can rust badly and round off , if so just cut it off , watch a youtube video and you will get a idea of what is needed to be done , its defiantly a job that can be done at home . the pedders conversion air suspension kit is for front and rear , have a look on roughtrax they do all the gear if you just want to change shocks or airbags aswell .

Since replacing my front shocks with non adjustable milner shocks my car hits bumps really hard.
After some research I found the shocks I got are gas filled and since the original shocks were hydraulic and more research I found the landcruiser runs and should only use hydraulic shocks.
The peddles suspension kit I found on roughtrax doesn't mention what the shocks are filled with but assuming the price is for hydraulic shocks.
Is this the case if you have fitted already.
Thanks guys.

Since replacing my front shocks with non adjustable milner shocks my car hits bumps really hard.
After some research I found the shocks I got are gas filled and since the original shocks were hydraulic and more research I found the landcruiser runs and should only use hydraulic shocks.
The peddles suspension kit I found on roughtrax doesn't mention what the shocks are filled with but assuming the price is for hydraulic shocks.
Is this the case if you have fitted already.
Thanks guys.
As far as I know the adjustable toyota shocks are liquid gas filled just like the pedders shocks and most other shocks , its just that the toyota air suspension truck shocks have the electric valve adjustment that can change the soft to firm action of the shocks , the lc3 and lc4 have gas shocks without electric valve adjustment .pedders and some other top 4x4 shock brands also sell foam cell filled shocks but come in at a higher price bracket .

As far as I know the adjustable toyota shocks are liquid gas filled just like the pedders shocks and most other shocks , its just that the toyota air suspension truck shocks have the electric valve adjustment that can change the soft to firm action of the shocks , the lc3 and lc4 have gas shocks without electric valve adjustment .pedders and some other top 4x4 shock brands also sell foam cell filled shocks but come in at a higher price bracket .

Well since my original shocks were leaking fluid they were hydraulic and if the peddlers kit is same filled liquid that's my answer as I think hydraulic shocks are much better on bumpy roads and speed bumps.

Well since my original shocks were leaking fluid they were hydraulic and if the peddlers kit is same filled liquid that's my answer as I think hydraulic shocks are much better on bumpy roads and speed bumps.
All shocks have oil inside their inner oil cylinders and gas on the outside cylinders except foamcell shocks , they have oil in the inner cylinder and foamcell in the outer cylinder that prevents fade when overworked like on continual bumpy travel that heats up the oil in the shocks then mix with the gas and weakens their performance until they cool down . that is the basic explanation how shocks work with out getting too technical . years ago until the 1980s a lot of shocks were just oil filled without gas and were not as good at their job as todays gas filled shocks , foamcell shocks are even better than gas shocks but cost a fair bit more , and unless you drive over bumpy tracks for a long periods of time they are really not worth the extra cost .

I find the ride on my recently acquired 2006 lc3 fantastic, which I assume is on standard shocks. It soaks up the bumps with no wallow, and is so smooth compared with my previous d/d lj78. Same coil spring set up but very harsh even on the standard setting, ( 2 settings on those). So good her indoors wants to drive it,
- not so keen with caravan on the hook !!

All shocks have oil inside their inner oil cylinders and gas on the outside cylinders except foamcell shocks , they have oil in the inner cylinder and foamcell in the outer cylinder that prevents fade when overworked like on continual bumpy travel that heats up the oil in the shocks then mix with the gas and weakens their performance until they cool down . that is the basic explanation how shocks work with out getting too technical . years ago until the 1980s a lot of shocks were just oil filled without gas and were not as good at their job as todays gas filled shocks , foamcell shocks are even better than gas shocks but cost a fair bit more , and unless you drive over bumpy tracks for a long periods of time they are really not worth the extra cost .

For what I do as in driving I will go with gas shocks as cheaper shocks but will get a good brand name and since I love my car and gonna keep for a while nothing but the best I think. :text-thankyoublue:

For what I do as in driving I will go with gas shocks as cheaper shocks but will get a good brand name and since I love my car and gonna keep for a while nothing but the best I think. :text-thankyoublue:
Good thinking , if your keeping the truck and for the price difference I would go for the best gas shocks like Pedders etc .

Back