Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Leaky headlight....

Towpack

Garage
Country Flag
england
My RH headlight unit seems to be suffering from water ingress, more condensation than anything I think. Dried it out with a hair dryer but done this several times now over the last 18 months. It must be the seal between glass lens and plastic body that's leaking. There are spring clips holding the two together with some form of sealer/bond. Anyone ever tried splitting and resealing the unit and how successful was it? Tried it many years ago on a Sierra and it wasn't very.

I vaguely remember a thread on mud where someone did this successfully. Worth a search.
Is this a possible side effect of leds? The old halogens would dry anything out in there pretty quick..

You're probably right about the lack of forward radiated heat from the LED's making the situation worse CG. There a HID bulb in the inner main beam side of the lamp and they do get HOT but obviously you can't drive around with main beam on. The LH unit is perfectly clear so there must be a leak on t'other one somewhere but I can't see anything obvious. Might try a heat gun on the seal. If it's a thermal bond it should work but if it's chemical then probably not.

First, TP, I'd check to be sure its vented properly.

I replaced my OEMs for all plastic one piece angel eye units and after about a year, one of them decided to steam up, kinda permanently. We had no rain between June and August, and it was still wet in there.

Then I started to pay around with some blanked-off plastic moldings on the back of the unit, they had soft plastic caps on them and after removing one to try, it dried out in no time.

I don't remember what's on the back of the OEMs, but if there's anything like a rubber tube or other type of vent, just check that it's "breathing" and not bunged up with goodness knows what.

I really can't imagine water getting in between the glass and seal, unless there's rust about, or damage to the glass/plastic.

might need to take it out and use some low pressure air to find the leak. I would think though that you could do an external seal with a polyurethane sealant. I'm not so sure the bulb temp matters as the sun only exacerbates the problem once the moisture has gotten in. you could also try one of those sprays for boat windows that disperses water droplets.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just remembered I have some Captain Tolleys Creeping Crack cure in the garage, left over from my boating days. Might give that a shot first. Will also check the breathers while I'm at it.

Done both of mine about a year back. Remove the clips all round, judicious use of a Stanley knife and they come apart easily.

The chrome on the reflector is very easily damaged, wipe with care.

To reassemble I used RTV sealant, sticks well to the plastic and the glass and does not set hard.

Regards

Dave

Dave 2000ost: 1460642 said:
Done both of mine about a year back. Remove the clips all round, judicious use of a Stanley knife and they come apart easily.

The chrome on the reflector is very easily damaged, wipe with care.

To reassemble I used RTV sealant, sticks well to the plastic and the glass and does not set hard.

Regards

Dave
Were they very dirty inside dave? If so did a good clean make much difference?

Back