Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LED headlamp bulbs

chapel gate

Supporter
Promoted Company
Country Flag
england
Dont want to go another winter with my dire low beams. I remember last year a couple of different LED bulbs were used with good results. Whats current opinion on the best ones?

Same here. They are probably even better now as they seem to update them a couple or more times a year.

There's a couple of h4s in the link, which did you fellas go for? Did you change the inner "spot" lamps too or just the main/dipped.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
i bought a pair of the woody LED's this summer before our France trip, they are absolutely brilliant and well worth the money.
image.jpg
image.jpg

I have a set I got from a show this summer and will say they are amazing. One of the best mods you can do.

Not much point in doing main beam as you don't really need it.

Only thing I am worried about is water now getting in the head light now.

You can still use the covers but they don't fit the center of the lamp any more so you have the hole in the middle.

I got alot of people complaining at me but had poor adjustment to start off with.

As others have said they are definitely worth the money. I upgraded the inners too ... whilst they may not be used Often when they are on it's a huge amount of light!

You can get them £20 or so cheaper if you buy direct from ali express

With the darker evenings coming, I’ve been looking at these, but find it difficult to see the wood for the trees (so to speak). I understand that Cree leds are generally the way to go, but some seem to have fans in them for active cooling, whereas others have finned heatsinks or what look like braids to dissipate the heat. Which are likely to be more reliable in the long term ? Are any of the cheaper ones on ebay or amazon up to scratch ?

The braids or heat sinks are better as no moving parts (fan) and no sound. Having said that, mine with fans are not a problem.
The rubbers DO fit, tightly, without modification as the lamps are designed in two parts so that the rubbers can be fitted. Mine have O ring seals.
There are certainly cheaper ones out there.
I've spoken to Steve at Woodypeck at length and he has assured me he is in touch with and importing from the originators of the designs. They are constantly changing and upgrading them as they have been known to be copied within a week! Guess where the copies end up at half the price with inferior optics and LED chips. All I can say is I've been very pleased with the light and the cut off from mine. Have a look on Clive's Angel Eye thread as I hijacked it with these LEDs. The only downside I have found is interference with my radio. Now I've changed the radio, this is much reduced. Steve seems to think that the newer ones are less likely to interfere.

I would buy them again in an instant.

Last edited:
Thanks SC, points noted. I'll get in touch with Woodypeck, sounds like he's on the ball and no need to learn Mandarin in case of problems !

See how you go. Steve himself has been busy of late but the ordering side should be unaffected.

As others have said they are definitely worth the money. I upgraded the inners too ... whilst they may not be used Often when they are on it's a huge amount of light!

You can get them £20 or so cheaper if you buy direct from ali express
While im reasonable happy with my main beam, you would say there worth doing too? Remind me what that bulb is called..:)

I can see perfectly well on dip with the standard 22 tear old bulbs in. Even in the dark with on coming traffic lol. Are you sure you've all got the dip beams raised enough?

With a boring sensible head on - there was an article recently in "Car Mechanics Monthly" - big play on how just putting LED bulbs in housings designed for halogen will result in a non-compliant setup - e.g. 'e' marking etc as the LEDs will give a different pattern to halogen. Same for the "upgrade" units that need ballast control, if your car wasn't fitted with them at design then VOSA etc.will take a dim :laughing:view on it.

Apparently their are some cases of insurances companies using incorrect lighting as a reason not to cough up.

Alignment spot on here according to MOT tester. I’ve had a couple of near misses with people walking dressed in dark clothes, backs to the traffic and almost invisible with another car coming towards me with badly adjusted lights. Natural selection aside, on a dark wet night round here, any advantage would be welcome. Points noted about legality and insurance though.

Back