Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LED headlights

Gorse

Country Flag
great_britain
My headlights, which I believe are LED but have seen nothing written down to confirm, seem to do a very poor job of lighting the road ahead. I think they're angled too low, so I get a bright, clear view of the 10-20 metres in front of me, then a very sharp cutoff and complete blackness. The part of the road I naturally find myself looking at when driving is almost always not lit and so I find myself relying on the main beams, which is not very helpful around towns and sometimes dangerous.

I have automatic levelling, which I can see working on startup and if I adjust the air suspension height, so that must be working ok, so I wonder if the level sensor is wonky. Unfortunately I don't have a suitable wall to aim the lights at to try to determine their beam pattern. What sort of view do others have out of the cabin? Does anyone have a similar issues or know if this is normal? It doesn't seem to tally with other comments I've seen on here about how good the LED headlights are.

I'll try to post a picture when I'm next out in the dark, but I don't know how well it will come out.

Thanks for any help.

My headlights, which I believe are LED but have seen nothing written down to confirm, seem to do a very poor job of lighting the road ahead. I think they're angled too low, so I get a bright, clear view of the 10-20 metres in front of me, then a very sharp cutoff and complete blackness. The part of the road I naturally find myself looking at when driving is almost always not lit and so I find myself relying on the main beams, which is not very helpful around towns and sometimes dangerous.

I have automatic levelling, which I can see working on startup and if I adjust the air suspension height, so that must be working ok, so I wonder if the level sensor is wonky. Unfortunately I don't have a suitable wall to aim the lights at to try to determine their beam pattern. What sort of view do others have out of the cabin? Does anyone have a similar issues or know if this is normal? It doesn't seem to tally with other comments I've seen on here about how good the LED headlights are.

I'll try to post a picture when I'm next out in the dark, but I don't know how well it will come out.

Thanks for any help.
There is a guy on here, Hamba he goes by the name of.. He has the same vehicle as you, and I was talking to him the other night, and he said his head lights were disappointing. I think the day lights etc are LED. but the head lights aren't ( maybe im wrong) He said they were too yellow.. To be fair any standard landcruiser head lights are Crap.its only when you up grade yourself they become any good,.. Im sure when Hamba sees this he will chip in and help out... I have the 120 and they are crap!

Hi Higgy. The high beams certainly are yellow, at least in comparison to the low. The low are quite a crisp bluish white, which led me to think they're LED, but I could well be wrong. My first though was to upgrade the bulbs, which I will do for the high beam, but as far as I can tell can't with (what I think are) LEDs. I'll wait with bated breath to see if Hamba replies.

PS. I wouldn't say the lights are crap. They're lovely and bright, just over a very short distance. On sections of road where the car is angled up slightly, bringing the beam angle up with it, they're great.

Last edited:
Hi Higgy. The high beams certainly are yellow, at least in comparison to the low. The low are quite a crisp bluish white, which led me to think they're LED, but I could well be wrong. My first though was to upgrade the bulbs, which I will do for the high beam, but as far as I can tell can't with (what I think are) LEDs. I'll wait with bated breath to see if Hamba replies.

PS. I wouldn't say the lights are crap. They're lovely and bright, just over a very short distance. On sections of road where the car is angled up slightly, bringing the beam angle up with it, they're great.
The previous owner of my 120 put after market bulbs in, the first time I went out in the dark and flicked the lights on it just lit everything up Green.. Absolutely useless

I too have the very defined cutoff on the road. It would be better if it was a bit further but I don't think it's too near. Maybe your sensor is faulty?
Jack up the back and see if they adjust.

The high beams are normal halogen - they are very bright and have a massive reach - albeit a lot yellower than the normal lights.

The bulbs should be mentioned in the handbook and embossed into the headlight surround if they’re anything like the 80 series. Other than that, just pop the bulbs out and have a look. I doubt they are LED unless a P.O. has retrofitted some from China. Another way to find out is if they completely go out when you start your engine, instantly light and instantly go out.

If/when you find out they are fillament bulbs, look at the Phillips Ultinon LED bulbs. There’s a thread on here somewhere. You’ll fall over at the price but after fitting two other sets that A) interfered with the radio and B) failed, and both had a slightly poor beam, the Phillips are, to quote my MOT tester last year ‘the best LED beam pattern’ he had seen. Plus, they should last.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I too have the very defined cutoff on the road. It would be better if it was a bit further but I don't think it's too near. Maybe your sensor is faulty?
Jack up the back and see if they adjust.

The high beams are normal halogen - they are very bright and have a massive reach - albeit a lot yellower than the normal lights.

Hi Crispin. I saw your older post about how good you thought the LEDs are, which made me wonder if I have a problem. How far away would you estimate the cutoff to be?

The bulbs should be mentioned in the handbook and embossed Inti the headlight surround if they’re anything like the 80 series. Other than that, just pop the bulbs out and have a look. I doubt they are LED unless a P.O. has retrofitted some from China. Another way to find out is if they completely go out when you start your engine, instantly light and instantly go out.

If/when you find out they are fillament bulbs, look at the Phillips Ultinon LED bulbs. There’s a thread on here somewhere. You’ll fall over at the price but after fittingbtwo other sets that A) interfered with the radio and B) failed, and both had a slightly poor beam, the Phillips are, tobquote my MOT tester last year ‘the best LED beam pattern’ he had seen. Plus, they should last.

As usual, the manual is of little help. Lots of references to "if equipped" but no information on how to tell what's fitted. But it does say LEDs can only be replaced by Toyota, presumably because they're integrated units rather than removal bulbs. I'll have to get in and have a good look at the whole assembly and see what I can find.

@Higgy my low beams are led and I love them, it was the high beams that I moaned about, wishing that they were led as well to keep the white beams. :lol:

As for driving only on the low beam, mine is fine and probably a little to high as I can see the inside of the cars I pass on the motorway.
It might be that your headlights need to be adjusted. I went to Toyota to ask them to lower it as people always flashed my on country roads. I don't think they lowered it much because I still get flashed at, just not as much as before. :lol:
Last night I passed a lady who pulled over so I could get passed, it was one of those narrow lanes where only 1 car can drive in and I saw her closing here eyes as I went passed.

Go past your local Toyota dealer and ask them to check the level and adjust it to the highest legal level.

I get mine done at my MOT station and stick a few quid in the tea fund.

Thanks everyone. I definitely can't say I love my LEDs like you hamba. Something must be wrong somewhere. I'll take it into the garage and see if anything needs to be adjusted.

Thanks everyone. I definitely can't say I love my LEDs like you hamba. Something must be wrong somewhere. I'll take it into the garage and see if anything needs to be adjusted.
Look on the bright side mate,( no pun intended) I cant think of a single thing I love about my Land Cruiser. Never mind the lights..:lol:

I see from the op that you have air suspension, adjusting the head lights aren't as simple as one might think, I believe that the lights gets adjusted together with the auto leveling at rear.

I see from the op that you have air suspension, adjusting the head lights aren't as simple as one might think, I believe that the lights gets adjusted together with the auto leveling at rear.

Nothing's ever simple. Fingers crossed any issues will be covered under warranty.

They are factory HID with projector lenses (can hear the ballast loading up) in the kakadu which is why the self levelling/washer is used . I only noticed the sharp cut off after I had a lift done but otherwise they were much better than my previous car with HIDs .

The adjustment is at the rear axle

Thanks for any help.

Hi,

I have a 2013 150 series LC5, and I have exactly the same problem. The main beam headlights are actually HID (High Intensity Discharge) lights which is why they are so white and often mistaken for LED. I'm glad it is not just me that struggles on dark lanes with main beam it is driving me nuts and I think it is a little dangerous. I would be interested in supplementing these lights with some sort of spot/area light, but am unsure of the legalities of doing this. I am looking for some options at the moment so will let you know if I can find something.
Regards Mark

Hi,

I have a 2013 150 series LC5, and I have exactly the same problem. The main beam headlights are actually HID (High Intensity Discharge) lights which is why they are so white and often mistaken for LED. I'm glad it is not just me that struggles on dark lanes with main beam it is driving me nuts and I think it is a little dangerous. I would be interested in supplementing these lights with some sort of spot/area light, but am unsure of the legalities of doing this. I am looking for some options at the moment so will let you know if I can find something.
Regards Mark

Hi Mark,

Good to know I'm not the only one. I also thought about the option of adding some additional lights, maybe on the front or roof, but just assumed it would probably be illegal without investigating. I'd be very interested to hear what you find out, positive or negative.

Back