Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Lincomb September 7th,8th

I don't mind saying it was a huge learning curve for me Clive , where else would you find so many obstacles to negotiate . I spent Saturday driving around without using my diffs actually trying to get stuck or at least fail to get up or over or whatever . Then i would go into low box and try again , if i still failed i engaged the rear diff . In this way i taught myself how to predict what i would need in advance and obviously the repeated attempts clued me in as to which approach worked best whether it be ramming it head on or getting one wheel up first etc etc .
As a result of the experience gathered in just one weekend i am now very keen to try my hand at the Florida Strata . As yet i have not been able to find much useful info about this track apart from "hire a guide" , i don't want to follow someone i want to get from start to finish on my own .

I don't mind saying it was a huge learning curve for me Clive , where else would you find so many obstacles to negotiate . I spent Saturday driving around without using my diffs actually trying to get stuck or at least fail to get up or over or whatever . Then i would go into low box and try again , if i still failed i engaged the rear diff . In this way i taught myself how to predict what i would need in advance and obviously the repeated attempts clued me in as to which approach worked best whether it be ramming it head on or getting one wheel up first etc etc .
As a result of the experience gathered in just one weekend i am now very keen to try my hand at the Florida Strata . As yet i have not been able to find much useful info about this track apart from "hire a guide" , i don't want to follow someone i want to get from start to finish on my own .

Shayne we have done Strata Florida a fair bit with our sons, Jim and Mike in all conditions. No doubt it will be on the agenda again once babes are out of the way! If you would like to join us we would be happy to have you along.....could be a while yet though so if some one else offers let us know and we'll come too...have no winch so don't want to do it alone.

Shayne, thats a great approach and you cetainly learn the capabilities of your truck doing it that way. The benefit of doing that with a group, rather than on your own, is that there is someone to help you out of difficulty when things go wrong (as my Mum used to say, you learn more from your mistakes than from your successes). Out on your own you have to make config choices before a hazard, as once stuck you may not be able to get out. Even as simple as the wrong gear on a climb; stall/slide/buggered... Look forward to seeing you at another event..... A

Thanks Andy , i understand the need for caution and i fully respect the need to pair up at the very least , what i don't want is a paid guide to baby me around the track if you get what i mean . My Grandmother on learning i couldn't swim took me to the local pool and lobbed me in the deep end , when i didn't drown i got a smack around the ear for telling lies because i could swim :wtf: . That was the single most valuable lesson i ever learned and the philosophy behind it i have lived by ever since , when in doubt just throw yourself in because whatever the outcome you will be a lot wiser once you've clawed your way out again . Works for me :icon-biggrin:

Finally got round to sorting our pics!!

DSC_7010.JPG

DSC_7013.JPG

DSC_7018.JPG

DSC_7020.JPG

DSC_7021.JPG

DSC_7037.JPG

DSC_7050.JPG

DSC_7052.JPG

DSC_7068.JPG

DSC_7071.JPG

DSC_7075.JPG

DSC_7077.JPG

DSC_7084.JPG

DSC_7085.JPG

DSC_7092.JPG

DSC_7093.JPG

DSC_7097.JPG

DSC_7100.JPG

DSC_7102.JPG

DSC_7103.JPG

DSC_7106.JPG

DSC_7111.JPG

DSC_7115.JPG

DSC_7116.JPG

DSC_7123.JPG

Very nice pictures, did you damage your cruiser on that tree and did you make it up the hill or need a winch??

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
No damage. Dave pushed against the side while I reversed back down. That was enough to avoid contact. But yes, it was a close call.

Very nice pictures, did you damage your cruiser on that tree and did you make it up the hill or need a winch??

Superb pictures, thanks. Glad you didn't do any damage. That tree seemed a bit of LC magnet. ;-)

Thanks Chadr. Yes, it does seem to be. There is a root at its base that slides you towards it on the way up, and you tend to slide towards it as you reverse down following a failed ascent.

Superb pictures, thanks. Glad you didn't do any damage. That tree seemed a bit of LC magnet. ;-)

I did get the bumper off karl. I will say i am very funny about how it was going to fit and i tried it on and it fits very well will be happy with it an would recomend then to any body. they are well made pretty thick and nice fit on the sides not too wide not too narrow. sorry no pic yet as i want to add hilift mounts and A bar.
stu

Great pics Reinhard. :thumbup:

So did anyone drive Ian's hill?

I know Chris was hoping to. :icon-biggrin:

I had a go Ben, it was really overgrown and I was effectively driving blind. Only got half way up as the undergrowth has kept the moisture in the soil so it was very slippery. TBH I never expected to actually make it up but it was fun to have a nibble at it.

I think if I had made it to the stony bit near the top, I'd have bottled it at that point.

Great pic's Reinhard. Captured some good moments from the weekend.

If Trev hadn't already ploughed through some of the undergrowth I wouldn't have been able to tell where Ruby hill is, its very overgrown.

I reckon Ian should give it a go in the mog, would be an interesting watch, or suicidal!!!

Back