Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 2.4 (or 1KZ 3.0) rpms on motorway, fuel economy, etc.?

Best of luck with the v8 lad, looking forward to hearing all about it if the sale goes through.
I was planning on doing a 3ltr conversion aswell in few months time but my brother in law is going to do a 2.4 efi swap from a hi ace and I'm going to see how that works out first and I might do that instead

Probably late coming in here, but......

Avoid the 2.4. Underpowered and you will spend your life worrying about the head cracking.

The 3.0 is a much better engine, but a Kzj70 is a rare beast and worth holding onto, so a 95 series more likely. If you can, go for a Prado as it has an intercooler and no rear diff lock to seize up - it has a lsd which works fine.

V8.....no idea, but I think the V6 lexus conversion if done properly is a thing of beauty and a joy to behold.

Pete

Best of luck with the v8 lad, looking forward to hearing all about it if the sale goes through.
I was planning on doing a 3ltr conversion aswell in few months time but my brother in law is going to do a 2.4 efi swap from a hi ace and I'm going to see how that works out first and I might do that instead

Probably late coming in here, but......

Avoid the 2.4. Underpowered and you will spend your life worrying about the head cracking.

The 3.0 is a much better engine, but a Kzj70 is a rare beast and worth holding onto, so a 95 series more likely. If you can, go for a Prado as it has an intercooler and no rear diff lock to seize up - it has a lsd which works fine.

V8.....no idea, but I think the V6 lexus conversion if done properly is a thing of beauty and a joy to behold.

Pete

Ah thanks, I haven't heard back from the seller but hopefully things are still on for tomorrow. I'm kind of glad I didn't buy the other LJ with the 2L-T as I agree with wobbly ! There is one KZJ70 out there for sale, but it's not too cheap! Nice looking though done quite a few miles. Looking to view the V-8 LJ70 tomorrow if the seller surfaces! Cheers all.

Just rereading your earlier replies - if its a lexus 4.0 wouldnt it be the uv-fe engine? Thats the V6 i was referring to.

Is there a link to an advert?

Who did the conversion- if it was west coast offroad it should have been done properly.

Just rereading your earlier replies - if its a lexus 4.0 wouldnt it be the uv-fe engine? Thats the V6 i was referring to.

Is there a link to an advert?

Who did the conversion- if it was west coast offroad it should have been done properly.

It was on ebay but it's ended now, not sure if advert is still visible. It's definitely a 4.0L quad-cam 32v V-8, the 1UZ-FE from the looks of it. I think the V-6 was a 3.0L, at least initially. I think West Coast did the conversion based on old posts on here actually, but haven't had much of a chance to ask the current owner so the whole thing's a bit of a gamble. It passed the last MOT fine and runs well apparently, just some electrical gremlins with slow drain, which I should be able to eliminate at home (er, or in a layby!) with the multimeter and pulling some fuses. I'm waiting for the seller to contact me with some details, then hopefully I'm on the way. I haven't been this excited about a new (old) motor in a good 15 years, so hoping it's a go...

Me getting it wrong probably, its been a few years since I had the LJ78.

Good luck!

Pete

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well, I bought the LJ70! Just did 360 miles, needs quite a few bits doing, mainly electrical, but the paint and interior, wheels, suspension, etc. are practically new. Best of all is the sound of the 4.0 going up through the gears with the stainless exhaust... glorious! May be a few weeks before I sort the electrics though, don't know how the gauges will read the 1UZ lump, so plenty to research. Just glad it made it home!

IMG_20160828_104759104 by Rusty Bottoms posted Aug 28, 2016 at 12:27 PM[/GALLERY]
Some quick pics of the LJ70! Lots to do today, on baby-sitting duty as well. Will get some more up when possible! And video - the sound is wonderful, definitely have to share some clips soon!

IMG_20160828_104759104 by Rusty Bottoms posted Aug 28, 2016 at 12:27 PM[/GALLERY]
Some quick pics of the LJ70! Lots to do today, on baby-sitting duty as well. Will get some more up when possible! And video - the sound is wonderful, definitely have to share some clips soon!
Took a minute to attach pics! I'm sure this one will look familiar to some of you!

Last edited:
Look's mint best colour for an LJ too i reckon and i'm sure that roar will brighten your days while you sort out electrics :thumbup:

Look's mint best colour for an LJ too i reckon and i'm sure that roar will brighten your days while you sort out electrics :thumbup:
Should really shine with a bit of wax, will be some time before I get the gauges fully working, and a few other bits. May need to call upon everyone's expertise on a few issues! I'll change all the fluids as well and lube everything underneath, check brake wear, etc. One other thing - the 4wd light is on, and the front prop shaft is engaged, but the freewheeling hubs are unlocked. Is this bad news? Maybe I can jump the solenoid to disengage it, or the switch is just disconnected... I've a lot to learn about these! Cheers, R

I know how to change a battery and that's my knowledge of auto electrics exhausted i'm afraid .

I know how to change a battery and that's my knowledge of auto electrics exhausted i'm afraid .
That's probably the best way to be! This is going to take some serious electrical and engine management know-how to get the gauges up and running. I could replace them all with VDOs or something, but want to keep the original instrument cluster. I'm sure one of the hilux/surf guys knows how to do this. (er, hopefully!)

Photos:eusa-whistle:. congrats on buying it by the way
Thank ya! Needs quite a lot of little bits here and there, and a lot of electrical know-how, so looks like my learning curve is about to get a lot steeper. I found the year of the motor, 1993 printed on the ignition leads, so they are originals. It has a misfire at low revs in town, but as soon as you crack the throttle, it clears out. I think it's running awfully rich, so will pull some plugs here soon and see if one looks marginally fouled and take it from there.

whereabouts are u? If midlands u could have a look at my lj73 electrics later this autumn. hasn't been modified much, apart from a wilson switch.

Nice! :clap:

Putting the same V8 engine in mine soon. :icon-biggrin:

Interesting that Westcoast Off Road never finished this vehicle and got all the electric problems sorted. From what I can remember from the thread the previous owner started they had it for over a year. :?

Back