Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 2L-T Turbo removal - how?

tintinmt

Country Flag
uk
Hi, The gasket between my turbo and exhaust manifold is blowing. I think I have a rough idea what needs to be removed but I am probably wrong somewhere and I would like some instructions to follow if possible. Anyone done this? Do you have written instructions or video? The oil supply lines seem to attach to the underside of the turbo. How are they removed?
Thanks in advance.

Could I just remove the turbine section and leave the compressor in place?
2020-11-10 13.21.20.jpg
2020-11-10 13.21.20.jpg

Removing the turbo is a horrible job mainly because you have to unbolt so much just so you can get at the nuts you need to undo but other than that its very self-explanatory , its a jigsaw piece that can only come out one way and you can't put it back in the wrong way because it won't fit . Its time consuming but theres nothing you must remember .

Thanks for your reply. I think I know what you mean having stared at it for a while. Do you know if the turbine will come out leaving the compressor in place or is that too easy?

Seems unlikely to me and given that's the only precision part i'd say you want a clear view of what your doing while you do it - on the kitchen table while the wifes out shopping :whistle:

This seems to be the answer to the question. PITA just to replace one gasket.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi, I managed to remove the turbo without too much drama. Access to some of the bolts / nuts is challenging.
There is no play or movement in the turbo (I think it is about 2 years old) but I have engine oil leaking out of both sides I think. I guess this means that the oil seals are leaking. My question is - is it economical to have the turbo rebuilt? Or, should I just buy a replacement? They seem to be available for about £150. Is a DIY refurb practical? I'm leaning towards a new turbo for simplicity and peace of mind.

I would say rebuilt is as good as new , lots of new cheap copy turbo's out there of questionable quality and your engine is a goner if the turbo self destructs but i gambled on a a cheap one from maxspeedingrods and no complaints from me .

I have never rebuilt one so i can't comment on a DIY ?

Thx. It's the Max one was thinking of. The current one is a similar thing I think. I can't imagine anyone refurbishing it for less than the cost of a new one.

All back together now. I ended up removing the manifold as it was a right botch job, leaking terribly. The whole exercise consisted of a mix of bolts and studs, some of which were the wrong size. Seized and rounded off, sheared off - the whole collection. I had to make a new manifold gasket as the one I ordered failed to arrive and I got fed up waiting with the motor in bits. It toot a few hours to cut gasket material to size. The new Max turbo came on time and fingers crossed works. As I don't drive the vehicle much it won't get hard use. Now back to the list of other jobs.....

Attachments

• 2020-12-19 17.39.04.jpg
    2020-12-19 17.39.04.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 2020-12-19 12.05.53.jpg
    2020-12-19 12.05.53.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 31
Bravo its a ball ache of a job but satisfying when it all comes together :clap:

Back