Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 ‘94 front seats replacement

Miklovan

Hi all,
My driver seat is in a pretty bad shape and I was thinking to replace both seats with a pair coming from a BMW e46 coupe. I’m not sure how will the fit in height and match the seat base (what needs to be improvised to adapt those to the car).
Have any of you replaced the original seats with some from other cars? What
modifications need to be made to adapt it to the car’s initial seat base?

thank you,
Razvan

LE: I found an old thread saying something about Smart seats but if you have any new ideas are welcomed.

Last edited:
Hi welcome,

Not an expert here but a lot of members have looked into this and for me, it was for the 80 series I own some years back. What I found was buying seats was the easy part. Getting them to fit right was another so for me rebuilt mine so it stayed original and comfortable.

P.s owning a smart car 451 can say those seats are hard and not designed for long haul trips and are uncomfortable being a city car.

Other members I'm sure can offer you help. If you provide pictures it helps.

I also have a very uncomfortable driver's seat on my 1989 70 series. I was thinking of visiting a trimmers/upholsterers to see if they could help but interested to know what others have done

I also have a very uncomfortable driver's seat on my 1989 70 series. I was thinking of visiting a trimmers/upholsterers to see if they could help but interested to know what others have done

Original cruisers as new are comfortable with years of wear they lose their best to be expected. I did a write up on mine on here. A good upholstery shop can do wonders to make them great again.

If you can get hold of a pair of front seats from the import 70's then they're a massive step up from the original front seats that we got on the 70's from this country.

Even have electronic lower back support and manual side lumber adjustment.. :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I bought a set of Subaru Bug eye seats to go in mine but after looking at the rails I gave up and sold them on, I now have a set of seats from a late 60 or different 70 series but clearly not matching the rest of the interior, my original seats are in good nick and look nice (Mrs went over them with the carpet cleaning device the other week) and in the current upright position the drivers seat is not moving much so will continue with these as don't want odd matching seats and I bet it's silly money to match them. I did try some firms in SA to get decent covers but they couldn't recognise the seat so gave up on that option too. I'd probably sell them if someone needs them.

Back