Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 Build Thread!

Roger Fairclough said:
Annamarie said:
i get anxious to scared of being travel sick :shifty: do you know of a few bed and brakefast places over there

Stourport on Severn is a sort of mini inland holiday resort. B&B's as far as the eye can see.

Roger

Cheers mate :thumbup:

last night i got the front bumper totally finished ready for powder coating.

today i dropped the bumper and winch tray off, and got the body lift spacers powder coated.

P1000270.jpg

P1000280.jpg

so tonight i got home early (6pm) and decided to try and undo the body mount bolts. i was pleasantly surprised to find them all undo very easily with a bit of WD40, apart from one which sheared off.

P1000269.jpg

P1000275.jpg

P1000276.jpg

P1000271.jpg

theres 4 bolts that are 100mm long.

P1000272.jpg

and the front 2 are 160mm long.

P1000273.jpg

i had dinner and a beer and thought id start fitting the body lift spacers rather than waiting till the weekend.

so i got the trolley jack out and some blocks of wood and jacked one side up.

P1000278.jpg

P1000279.jpg

once id jacked high enough for the bodylift spacers to fit in, i put them in place.

on the front i had to hack saw the bush in half.

P1000283.jpg

P1000284.jpg

one side done, i lowered it down.

P1000285.jpg

P1000286.jpg

P1000287.jpg

i then moved onto the other side. after having a quick check under the bonnet i decided to remove 2 of the spring clips off the 2 brake lines to give the lines a bit more slack where they go from body to chassis. i also checked the fuel filler neck and unbolted it from the body.

P1000288.jpg

i then jacked it up and slid the spacers in place and lowered it back down.

P1000289.jpg

P1000290.jpg

P1000291.jpg

now got 25" of clearance under the sills.

P1000292.jpg

im off to the billing 4x4 show tomorrow, and im hoping there might be some one on one of the trade stands selling bolts. i need to replace the 8 original bolts for ones that are 50mm longer.

i checked i can still get into all gears comfortably which i can, and the steering feels fine. the only gear i cant get is 4 low, so i will need to adjust the angle/length of the transfer stick. :thumbup:

had my truck looked at by an auto electrician today, who said the alternator, fitted 6 months ago is knackered. :thumbdown: will be calling the supplier tomorrow to see what there going to do about it.

Coming along very nicely indeed Ben :thumbup: :thumbup:

what sort of price was the powder coating ?? :think:

Ben that looks great! You don't waste any time do you:) how are the sliders coming on? I know I need to take some pics of the mountings on mine but it's still at west coast. Hopefully back next week when I'm on holiday, it's been waiting for a flywheel making.

Red Oktober said:

thanks mate, its getting there, but still hundreds of hours of work left on it yet! :thumbup:

a lot more than i was expecting. :lol:

i asked how much for cash, no receipt necessary, and was told £100, for the bumper, winch tray, and body lift spacers. he said the bumper and winch tray will be shot blast, to remove any lose paint and rust, then he will give it a primer coat, which will fill in any imperfections in the welds etc, then a top coat. im having it done in ford matt black, he said thats what they usually do bull bars in. hes promised me it will be a really good job and very tough and hard wearing.

hopefully have then back next week. :)

Simon_LJ70 said:
Ben that looks great! You don't waste any time do you:) how are the sliders coming on? I know I need to take some pics of the mountings on mine but it's still at west coast. Hopefully back next week when I'm on holiday, it's been waiting for a flywheel making.

thanks. no i dont waste any time, but i still dont seem to have enough. ive got so many people who want work doing, but id rather be working on my truck trying to get it finished, but it seems slow going.

even once ive taken it off the road for a month and stripped it all down and rebuilt it, i still need to build a rear bumper and swing away wheel carrier, which i know will be a big job. :|

sliders are coming on ok. once the bodylift is finished i can start making the brackets and then they will be ready for powder coating.

i bet you cant wait to get yours back?

you going to bring it to Lincomb?

if and when you can get some pics that would be great. :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
ben said:
Red Oktober said:

thanks mate, its getting there, but still hundreds of hours of work left on it yet! :thumbup:

a lot more than i was expecting. :lol:

i asked how much for cash, no receipt necessary, and was told £100, for the bumper, winch tray, and body lift spacers. he said the bumper and winch tray will be shot blast, to remove any lose paint and rust, then he will give it a primer coat, which will fill in any imperfections in the welds etc, then a top coat. im having it done in ford matt black, he said thats what they usually do bull bars in. hes promised me it will be a really good job and very tough and hard wearing.

hopefully have then back next week. :)

Thats great ... Cheers :thumbup:

Gav Peter said:
ben said:
now got 25" of clearance under the sills.
Man thats some body lift!!! :lol:

Looking good there Ben :cool:

thanks mate. :thumbup:

went to the billing landrover show today.

we had only been there 5mins and we saw the most unusual thing. :whistle:

P1000294.jpg

saw a few nice cruisers, and a few nice challenge trucks. :drool:

P1000296.jpg

P1000297.jpg

P1000298.jpg

P1000299.jpg

P1000300.jpg

P1000301.jpg

P1000302.jpg

P1000303.jpg

saw an "OZ PIG" in action and was very impressed. as soon as my boss buys a plasma cutter im going to make one using an old gas bottle. :twisted:

P1000304.jpg

P1000305.jpg

P1000306.jpg

managed to buy a replacement grill for my snorkel, a black aluminium one, which should be a bit stronger against branches i hope.

P1000307.jpg

P1000308.jpg

also bought a big challenge style winch hook. :)
couldnt find any suitable bolts for my body lift, so will be off to my local bolt supplier in the morning.

got home and decided to do some more on my truck. i knew the carpets were damp, and had been for a month or so, since i was last crossing some deep rivers.

so i decided to remove the carpet, this will mean in future i can just hose out the inside, and then remove the rubber drain plugs from the floor.

P1000309.jpg

what colour the carpet once was.

P1000310.jpg

P1000311.jpg

P1000312.jpg

lots of mud.

P1000313.jpg

the extent of the rot, and why ive bought new rear arches. :thumbdown:

P1000314.jpg

P1000315.jpg

so out with hot soapy water and a sponge, followed by a good blast with the hose.

P1000316.jpg

P1000317.jpg

P1000318.jpg

P1000319.jpg

they certainly build these toyotas to last, 18 years old and hardly any rust on the floor pan. :clap:

i discovered henry vacuum cleaners hoover up water well. :lol:

dried it as much as i can with some old towels, tomorrow i will rust kill and paint the few tiny spots of surface rust, and then re fit the seats.

im going to remove the centre console completely, and also the rear heater/blower as its now redundant. ive got a great idea for a storage unit behind the rear seats, which will incoporate, a new centre console. :thumbup:

I can't beleive how lazy you are Ben, you could have got loads more done after getting back from the show...

:lol:

Why was that freeloader pulling the AA van backwards....

Completely forgot it was Billing, shame as I had a weekend pass negotiated!

Pete

Gav Peter said:
I can't beleive how lazy you are Ben, you could have got loads more done after getting back from the show...

:o been working on it since 6am today, just finished as its time for food and beer. :cool:

misterpaul said:
Some nice looking kit at Billing - did they have a price on the troopy for sale?

didnt see a price, and didnt ask. i love the new front ends with the lights and grill. :thumbup:

wobbly said:
Why was that freeloader pulling the AA van backwards....

Completely forgot it was Billing, shame as I had a weekend pass negotiated! Pete

on the motorway coming back we saw a few in the services with there bonnets up with over heating issues! :thumbdown:

ben said:
misterpaul said:
Some nice looking kit at Billing - did they have a price on the troopy for sale?

didnt see a price, and didnt ask. i love the new front ends with the lights and grill. :thumbup:

Not too keen on the new front ends myself, but I'm biased as I have an old one. I'd take a new one if it had the V8 in though :auto-layrubber:

i did a bit more yesterday. :thumbup:

firstly i went and bought the 8 bolts for the bodylift, with washers and 2 nuts for each bolt, normal and nylock, came to £4, so has been a very cheap bodylift.

fronts.

P1000325.jpg

rears.

P1000326.jpg

i then bolted it all up. the rear ones were a bastard to get in, as the body needed lifting slightly off the chassis and spacer to get the bolt in. this would have been a lot easier if i hadnt already done all the other bolts up. :doh:

so id advise anyone else doing a similar bodylift on a 70, to fit the very rear bolts first. :thumbup:

next i removed the centre console/rear heater matrix.

P1000328.jpg

this left a hole in the floor pan.

P1000320.jpg

P1000322.jpg

so i cut a piece of stainless and stuck it down in place with super strong RTV sealant (room temperature vulcanising).

P1000321.jpg

i then used some hose to reconnect everything under the bonnet.

P1000329.jpg

P1000330.jpg

i sanded, rust killed and painted the few rust spots on the floor, and then began re-fitting the seats.

P1000332.jpg

P1000333.jpg

once id got the front seats back in, i decided to sort out my storage issues.

for far too long, all my recovery gear and other essentials has just been crammed behind the front seats, which is not the best place to have it, especially when you need a rope etc. quick as your stuck in the middle of a river, or up to your axles in mud.

i also decided i needed to do something to protect the floor pan inside the vehicle. although this truck is first and foremost a toy, i do have to use it some times for work, so i need to be able to chuck tools and materials straight in.

so first off i removed all my gear and then spent about an hour thinking of the best way of storing everything, and how best to build it.

usually when ever im building/making anything i have a clear vision in my head of what it will look like, so i find projects very easy. but with this i had too many ideas and couldnt decide what would work best.
i was thinking of putting a new false floor in above the wheel arches, with some big pull out drawers for all my gear to go in, but i decided id loose too much valuable room.

anyway, heres what i did.

all the stuff that needs a home.

P1000334.jpg

the space that ive got.

P1000335.jpg

P1000336.jpg

cut a board for the back, out of 3/4" marine ply.

P1000337.jpg

and scribed it to the shape of the floor.

P1000338.jpg

was then thinking of building some storage bins either side of the sub, but decided against this, as i wouldnt have been able to easily get any recovery gear from the rear of the vehicle.

P1000340.jpg

so i cut a board for the floor next.

P1000341.jpg

screwed some sides on it, with an angled end to match the upright piece.

P1000342.jpg

and screwed it in place.

P1000343.jpg

filled in the sides.

P1000344.jpg

so in the drivers side, which involves opening both back doors ive got.

both socket sets.
fire extinguisher.
first aid box.
jump leeds.
compressor.
new fuel filter.

P1000345.jpg

and the other side, which is easier to get to ive got.

high lift jack base.
shackles.
8 meter strop.
quick strop.
kinetic rope.
spade.
saw.
scissor jack.
snatch block.
gloves

P1000347.jpg

these 2 boxes will both have hinged up lids on them, out of 3/4" MDF.

next i screwed my sub in place and wired it up. i also found a home for the high lift and tool box. once the door is closed the high lift is wedged in place nice and tight.

just need to screw a few bits of wood down to stop the tool box moving, will also add a strap to hold it down in the event of a roll.

P1000348.jpg

P1000349.jpg

i want to get some 20mm aluminium angle to face and protect the end-grain on the ply, i want to edge the bottom piece when the doors are open, the 2 uprights, and the top of the upright board behind the front seats.

this is the hole left in the front of the truck.

P1000350.jpg

P1000351.jpg

i need to make a centre console/arm rest to go in there. it will also incorporate my CB radio.

testing to see how well my tools fit.

P1000352.jpg

couple of pics after ive driven her a few miles since fitting the bodylift.

P1000353.jpg

P1000354.jpg

:thumbup:

Are you fitting lids on the boxes? If not I would fit some weld mesh behind the seats to stop stuff killing you when it's thrown forward if you crash or roll it

(still have a lump on my head from stuff hitting me during a roll 12 years ago) ;)

jeepmadmike said:
Are you fitting lids on the boxes? If not I would fit some weld mesh behind the seats to stop stuff killing you when it's thrown forward if you crash or roll it

(still have a lump on my head from stuff hitting me during a roll 12 years ago) ;)

ben said:
these 2 boxes will both have hinged up lids on them, out of 3/4" MDF.

:thumbup:

my original plan was to have an internal roll cage hoop behind the front seats, and i was going to have an easily removable frame with weld mesh that could be attached to the cage.

i cant really have any weld mesh permanently fixed behind the front seats, because i often carry lengths of timber 5 or 6 meters long, and i do this by sticking it out the sun roof, with the other end resting against the back doors. works well, until i crash and my head gets severed off by a piece of wood. :lol:

Blimey Ben :!: Your getting cracked on there m8 :clap: Just shows the difference being young free & having a girl friend on a different continent makes :lol: I got Lil-Blues old diff carrier on Friday & I've not even had a chance to open it as yet :roll: 5 year olds party straight from school on Friday then I had to bath all three kids & put them to bed as wife is in Manchester this week. Then I was up the school in my role as a Governor Saturday morning then another kids party in the afternoon & today two kids parties with ten minutes between them am/pm :roll: :) My advice to you Ben is keep it in your pants for an easy life :D

Keep up the good work m8 :thumbup:

Thanks for this thread - I'm finding it inspirational. Lots of great ideas. My KZJ is getting tired in the bodywork department (bit like me) and I need to think about what to do with it. And I'm so impressed at the speed you can work at! I spend two thirds of my time thinking and sucking my teeth . . . .

sae70 said:
My advice to you Ben is keep it in your pants for an easy life :D

:lol: :clap:

thanks guys, its getting there, but ive got so much that i want to do on the truck it feels really slow going. :)

things will be slowing down a bit this week as ive said i will fit my boss's new £5500 Italian suspension lift kiton his lame rover while hes on holiday, in the evenings this week. :thumbdown:

but need to get the bumper, winch tray, and winch fitted this week ready for a spot of welsh laning at the weekend.

called milner on saturday and there sending a replacement alternator out tomorrow, so should get that fitted tuesday night. :thumbup:

Back