Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 Build Thread!

That's an excellent body restoration Ben, very well done indeed. She's really taking shape now.

Good luck with the deadline and the pending arrival.

Apart from being disheartened, it's a great feeling to see all that new metal going in and knowing you've hit 99% of the lurking rust.

I'm always a bit concerned with those lower quarters collecting more water and condensation. I'm presuming you've made adequate provision for drain escape holes. Protecting them with paint is no easy feat either, after you've formed them in a seam or drilled them out.

Great work as ever Ben, keep at it, 'cos you really have achieved a major milestone on the project. :thumbup::clap::clap::clap:

Thanks mate. :thumbup:

I havent added drain holes yet but it is something I've been thinking about and I'm still un-decided. :think:

This will be a fair weather only vehicle as it will be a permanent soft top and will be garaged, so I'm hoping I wont get any moisture in the rear quarters. :icon-cool:

It also wont be getting a snorkel, so deep water crossings will be out. :shifty:

Having said that, I will make an emergency snorkel (piece of hose) that I can fit to the airbox for the odd occasion when there is no choice but to do a deep river crossing. :icon-twisted:

Hey Ben,

I know this isn't the right thread, but whilst I remember I saw an ad for Outback Drawers and they have the ADR approved child seat tethers on them for the Land Cruiser Wagon, and they mount them on the front of the drawers, not the top.

Thanks mate, something I still need to sort before he gets here. :doh:

I've been trying to find a 76 series in a wreckers yard so I can buy the child restraint point from them, which mounts above the rear doors but I havent been able to find one. :thumbdown:

Well impressive
I would have thrown the toys out of pram and been reduced to tears by the enormity of the dealing with the rot

Believe me I came close a few times. :lol:

I even tried sourcing another soft top body before I decided to buy the new bulkhead for it. :shifty:

In hindsight I probably shouldnt have bought this body/that RJ70, but the money I have made back selling all the parts it came with and then selling the chassis, with the engine out of my LJ78 and my old LJ70 body, I've actually made money and the soft top body and V8 engine dont owe me anything, apart from a lot of my time. So I'm pretty happy with how things have worked out. :icon-biggrin:

I'm going to keep an eye out for another soft top 70 though and if I find one in good condition I will get it and mothball it for the future. :think:

Looking great Ben.
Something you might already have thought to do, after you've finished with the primer use a black aerosol and dust coat the body, when you wet flat it any low/high spots show up, when the black has gone the surface should be nice and smooth.

Yeah first saw that technique used many years ago on LJ's original body got repaired with new arches welded on. Worked well so definitely using it on this one. :icon-biggrin:

I have to agree. It feels sooo much better once the paint goes on. It's the transition between dirty work and clean careful work.

Definitely!

Also a big sense of relief as the amount of prep work needed before painting is huge! :sleeping-sleep:

But it will be short lived as then I need to go onto all the doors, bonnet, wings etc. etc. :doh:

That's an excellent body restoration Ben, very well done indeed. She's really taking shape now.

Good luck with the deadline and the pending arrival.

Thanks mate, Its going to look awesome once its done! :thumbup:

Thanks, less than 3 weeks until hes due now! :shifty:

We're both very excited, but I just want to get this project some where near finished first! :lol:

Great work there Ben! It amazes me where the time goes with these rebuilds! Looking forward to see the paint job and the body being bolted down. Good work mate:thumbup:

Thanks guys. :thumbup:

I will get an update up this week some time. ;)

Been working flat out on it, yesterday was another 14 hour day on it. :sleeping-sleep:

But I'm making good progress. I've now got the body painted and fitted to the chassis, half the interior back in and all the doors and roof hoop section in primer and getting painted blue tomorrow. :icon-cool:

Hoping by this weekend to have all the doors back on and the interior all in and then I can start repairing and painting the windscreen surround and then all the body panels for the front end. :icon-biggrin:

My son is due 2 weeks tomorrow, so I need to keep up the pressure if I am to have it finished before he comes. :shifty:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ive been thinking about the front bar I will have to build for the front of this and I quite like the look of the front bar on this 70, this is kind of the sort of look I'm thinking of going for with this build. :icon-twisted:

IMG_4550.jpg

Anyway back to the build..................

After a bit more filling and sanding it was looking like this.

IMG_4534.jpg

IMG_4535.jpg

IMG_4536.jpg

I needed to do a load of seam sealing next.

IMG_4537.jpg

IMG_4538.jpg

I used masking tape to help give me some neat lines of sealant.

IMG_4539.jpg

IMG_4547.jpg

IMG_4540.jpg

IMG_4541.jpg

IMG_4542.jpg

IMG_4543.jpg

IMG_4544.jpg

IMG_4545.jpg

IMG_4546.jpg

IMG_4548.jpg

IMG_4549.jpg

I then gave it another coat of 2k primer.

IMG_4552.jpg

And then sprayed on some cheap spray paint, which I could then sand off, revealing any low spots.

IMG_4553.jpg

IMG_4554.jpg

I decided I wasnt happy with the finish on the tops of the rear quarters or with the captive nut holes on the tops of the C pillars, so I decided to fill and seam seal it all.

IMG_4556.jpg

IMG_4557.jpg

IMG_4558.jpg

IMG_4559.jpg

IMG_4560.jpg

Meanwhile the orange paint had revealed a few small areas that needed filling.

IMG_4561.jpg

IMG_4562.jpg

For these smaller imperfections I chose to use some fine surface filler, rather than normal 2k body filler.

IMG_4563.jpg

IMG_4564.jpg

I used my masking tape trick to seam-seal along the tops of the rear quarters.

IMG_4565.jpg IMG_4566.jpg

IMG_4568.jpg IMG_4569.jpg

I also decided to improve upon Toyota's original work building this body and seam-seal a lot of seams that wernt originally sealed, just to give a nicer finish. :icon-cool:

IMG_4570.jpg IMG_4570.jpg

IMG_4572.jpg IMG_4573.jpg

IMG_4574.jpg IMG_4575.jpg

IMG_4576.jpg IMG_4577.jpg

Followed by another little coat of 2k primer.

IMG_4578.jpg IMG_4579.jpg

IMG_4580.jpg IMG_4581.jpg

IMG_4581.jpg

I gave it all a sand over with 1000 grit wet n dry paper.

IMG_4582.jpg

Then removed the polythene from the car floor pan, as it was covered in flaking primer and I didnt want to risk anything going on the new paint.

IMG_4583.jpg

IMG_4584.jpg

Re-masked it all off ready for paint.

IMG_4585.jpg

And started mixing some paint.

IMG_4586.jpg

IMG_4587.jpg

*Due to the fact Photobucket is playing up and is due to be switched off soon anyway (as I'm not prepared to pay their extortionate figure over over £200 per year) :angry-screaming:

I will be uploading my pics directly to the forum, like the ones above. But I'm limited to 50 pics at a time, so this update might take a while, but theres lots more pics to come. ;)

Last edited:
Toyota Mid Night Blue, a colour Toyota originally painted LJ almost 25 years ago and a colour still offered on the 70 series range to this day! :icon-cool:

IMG_4588.jpg

IMG_4589.jpg

These mixing cups with the different ratios on the inside are a really clever idea! :clap:

I would be using 2 parts paint to 1 part hardener +10% thinners.

IMG_4590.jpg

IMG_4591.jpg

So I went up to the 4 in the 2:1 column with my paint then poured hardener in up to the next 4 and then thinner in after that and gave it a good stir.

IMG_4592.jpg

I then got fully suited up and put my fancy new respirator on and got painting! :icon-twisted:

Things didnt go entirely to plan as I had problems with the gun and stupidly didnt test it on something other than the car when I first started painting. :icon-redface:

This resulted in the paint coming out far too thick to start with, until I got the gun adjusted properly. :doh:

I then did something really really stupid and wiped the runs. I've since learned I should have left the runs and they could have been sanded out afterward with 2000 grit wet n dry paper. :icon-mad

Anyway, it was only in a couple of areas and they can be fixed up afterwards. :shifty:

The next morning I took the make shift booth down to reveal LJ's new body! :dance:

IMG_4593.jpg

IMG_4594.jpg

IMG_4595.jpg

My dodgy wipe marks in the paint. :icon-cry:

IMG_4596.jpg

With the body painted, it was time to fix the doors up.

I started off by removing the door trims.

IMG_4597.jpg

IMG_4598.jpg

IMG_4599.jpg

This really didnt look good! :thumbdown:

IMG_4600.jpg

IMG_4601.jpg

On to the back doors.

IMG_4602.jpg

IMG_4603.jpg

This whole area was clearly made of filler. :icon-mad

IMG_4604.jpg

At this point I decided that rather than mess around with these doors that are clearly a bit rotten I would be better using my spare set of doors as overall they were in better condition, even if the one was a bit dented.

IMG_4606.jpg

IMG_4607.jpg

IMG_4608.jpg

This would need some attention.

IMG_4609.jpg

Unbolted the top glazed sections.

IMG_4610.jpg

IMG_4611.jpg

IMG_4612.jpg

IMG_4613.jpg

IMG_4614.jpg

IMG_4615.jpg

IMG_4616.jpg

IMG_4618.jpg

Cleaned the paint off the dented area.

IMG_4619.jpg

IMG_4620.jpg

Got out my home made dent puller.

IMG_4621.jpg

Welded some studs on and started pulling the dent out.

IMG_4622.jpg

With that done, I got it outside so I could mark where it would need drilling for the rear number plate light, as this door didnt have a rear door mounted number plate previously.

The original blue one did and you can even see the 2 raised square sections which have captive nuts welded to the other side for the number plate to bolt to.

IMG_4623.jpg

IMG_4625.jpg

IMG_4627.jpg

That done it was time to tackle the rotten passenger side front door.

IMG_4628.jpg

Hit it with a wire wheel in the grinder to reveal the extent of the rot.

IMG_4630.jpg

IMG_4632.jpg

IMG_4634.jpg

IMG_4635.jpg

Luckily the bent doors that came on the 75 series body had almost identical doors.

Their not quite the same as the 75 door tops arnt removable like my soft top ones, but externally they are identical in measurements.

IMG_4636.jpg

And the profile for the bits I wanted to cut off the 75 door were identical! :dance:

IMG_4638.jpg

Marked where to start cutting.

IMG_4639.jpg

IMG_4641.jpg

IMG_4642.jpg

And began cutting! :icon-twisted:

IMG_4643.jpg

IMG_4644.jpg

IMG_4645.jpg

IMG_4644.jpg

IMG_4645.jpg

IMG_4646.jpg

I kept cutting more and more metal away until I thought I'd finally got it all!

IMG_4647.jpg

IMG_4649.jpg

IMG_4651.jpg

IMG_4653.jpg

IMG_4654.jpg

I cut a section off the donor 75 series door and then drilled the spot welds out and separated the 2 sections.

IMG_4656.jpg

Cut the inner rotten sections off my door, being careful to ensure the edge of the cut would be behind the top section, for an invisible weld once its all finished.

IMG_4657.jpg

IMG_4658.jpg

IMG_4659.jpg

Trimmed my donor pieces to size.

IMG_4660.jpg

IMG_4661.jpg

And welded them in.

IMG_4662.jpg

IMG_4663.jpg

Got the door outside to grind the welds down flush.

IMG_4664.jpg

IMG_4665.jpg

I then gave the repaired inner section a coat of the weld through zinc paint and got the door back into the garage to weld the outer section on.

IMG_4680.jpg

IMG_4681.jpg

IMG_4682.jpg

I then got the doors outside for a sand down and to grind all my welds down.

IMG_4697.jpg

IMG_4699.jpg

IMG_4700.jpg

I needed to repair a slight crack in the drivers door.

IMG_4675.jpg

IMG_4676.jpg

I TIG'd it up and then smoothed the weld down with the die grinder.

IMG_4679.jpg

I set the gazebo up as my make shift spray booth and started hanging things up ready for paint.

IMG_4667.jpg

IMG_4669.jpg

IMG_4670.jpg

To avoid overspray going absolutely everywhere, I filled the sides in with polythene.

IMG_4671.jpg

IMG_4672.jpg

And got some primer on the rear doors and all the hinges.

IMG_4674.jpg

I then got the doors outside and on stands to sand down the primer.

IMG_4677.jpg

IMG_4678.jpg

My mate came round and helped me lift LJ's new body onto the chassis! :dance:

IMG_4683.jpg

IMG_4684.jpg

IMG_4686.jpg

IMG_4687.jpg

IMG_4688.jpg

I could then, much to my wifes delight start emptying the single suite of car parts and start bolting them back on! :icon-cool:

Starting with the seats!

I have been carrying LJ's rear seats around with me for the past 6-7 years since I removed them and finally they have gone back in! :shifty:

IMG_4689.jpg

IMG_4690.jpg

The area behind the rear seats will house a set of light weight drawers that will contain all the recovery gear, with a set of waffles and a Hi-lift jack mounted on the top. :icon-twisted:

IMG_4691.jpg

Fire wall insulation went on next.

IMG_4692.jpg

Followed by the wiring loom.

IMG_4693.jpg

IMG_4694.jpg

Followed by the peddles.

IMG_4695.jpg

And steering column.

IMG_4696.jpg

Last edited:
Back to the body work..............

I hung all the doors and the roll hoop roof section up got them all painted in primer.

IMG_4701.jpg

IMG_4702.jpg

IMG_4703.jpg

As I then intended to bring them into the garage to sand the primer down, I invested in a decent car cover to keep the dust off the interior.

I wanted one anyway encase LJ ever has to spend anytime parked outside overnight or if rain is forecast.

IMG_4704.jpg

IMG_4705.jpg

IMG_4706.jpg

IMG_4707.jpg

With LJ safely tucked up under the cover I began sanding all the doors down.

IMG_4708.jpg

IMG_4711.jpg

Some of them needed a bit more filling.

IMG_4712.jpg

IMG_4713.jpg

Then they went back into the spray booth for the top coat! :icon-cool:

IMG_4714.jpg

IMG_4716.jpg

IMG_4718.jpg

This time I got to do what I had intended to do with the body, which is do a very light mist coat to start with and then 10 minutes later give it a thicker coat, so as to avoid runs. :ugeek:

IMG_4720.jpg

A nice thin coat to start with and as a result, no runs. :dance:

IMG_4721.jpg

IMG_4723.jpg

IMG_4724.jpg

IMG_4726.jpg

Then a thicker coat to cover it fully.

IMG_4735.jpg

IMG_4737.jpg

I did that first thing in the morning before going to work.

Then in the afternoon my wife called to say the polythene had all blown off the gazebo and some of it was stuck to my new paintwork. :angry-screaming:

This is what I came home to. :doh:

IMG_4742.jpg

Thankfully the only bit of damage was this tiny bit on the top of the roof hoop section. :clap:

IMG_4745.jpg

Put it on the list with the other bits that need fixing up. :shifty:

I brought all the hinges in along with 2 dash brackets.

IMG_4746.jpg

And as a storm was forecast (were in storm season now) I brought the rest of the doors in.

The front doors look amazing! :clap:

IMG_4747.jpg

IMG_4749.jpg

But annoyingly I missed a small dent on this little back door.

IMG_4748.jpg

And as I sprayed first thing in the morning, the inside of the gazebo must have had some condensation on it as the bigger rear door had a few water drops on it! :doh:

IMG_4750.jpg

IMG_4751.jpg

My mate came back around so I got him to give me a hand to lift the roof hoop section on.

IMG_4753.jpg

IMG_4754.jpg

The following morning I bolted all the doors on.

IMG_4755.jpg

The hinges are also a little patchy in places but I think the plastic covers should cover any bits where the primer is showing through, although I will probably have to repaint this rear door so will do the hinges at the same time. :think:

IMG_4756.jpg

IMG_4757.jpg

IMG_4758.jpg

IMG_4759.jpg

IMG_4761.jpg

The HVAC parts all went in next and I've decided I will fit con, even though this car will be a permanent soft top, it will still be nice to have ice cold air blasting you in the face on those hot days rock crawling. :icon-twisted:

IMG_4762.jpg

I mounted the brake booster, master cylinder, heater tap and 4wd high range solenoids to the bulk head.

IMG_4769.jpg

IMG_4770.jpg

IMG_4771.jpg

And then bolted the dash in. :dance:

IMG_4773.jpg

IMG_4774.jpg

And center console with cup holders! :icon-cool:

Even the brand new 70's dont come with a center console or cup holders! :icon-razz:

IMG_4775.jpg

IMG_4776.jpg

IMG_4777.jpg

ATTACH]136190[/ATTACH]

IMG_4779.jpg IMG_4778.jpg

IMG_4779.jpg

IMG_4780.jpg

OK, thats it for today guys. I will get another update up soon. :thumbup:

10 days until the baby is due and I'm confident I will meet my target of having LJ assembled and to a point where I can roll it into a shipping container ready for the big move South. :shifty:

Busy working on all the front end panels at the moment. I did 10 hours on Saturday and 11 hours yesterday (Sunday) :sleeping-sleep:

Hoping to have them finished this week ready to refit this weekend. :icon-cool:

Well done Ben. Amazing determination and progress.

You are a very talented man,Ben.I follow your progress with great interest.

Superb job Ben
The end is now in sight. It looks like its going to be great fun driving it.
Great quality work as usual

Excellent job Ben. I'm getting tempted to give the painting a go myself after reading that.

Nice work Ben, do you not use any lacquer on the paintwork?

Looking really good mate, little bits of paint to sort aren't too bad, finish looks good. The more paint you get on the more you can wet flat and polish it after, that sorts the imperfections out.

Thanks guys. :thumbup:

Putting some crazy hours into this project, I really don't know where the time goes. :sleeping-sleep:

I'm really happy with how its coming together though! :dance:

Nice work Ben, do you not use any lacquer on the paintwork?

No this paint is just one solid colour.

I did have the option of getting a 2k base coat with clear coat, but decided that not having clear coat would make the job easier. :)

Back