Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 Build Thread!

Yeah but it would probably handle better if the dampers were actually bolted in place eh??? :p :p :p

:lol: :lol:

thanks guys. :thumbup:

Gav i dont know what your on about mate. :whistle:

:mrgreen:

Hey, spotted THIS on fleabay & thought of you... But its probably harder to find a seperate head than a whole lump :evil:

that would be ideal mate, if the head wasnt knackered. :thumbup:

definitely need a bigger engine ASAP. :twisted:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Buy the surf, then put your old 2.4 in it and sell it on as an mot'd runner!

Pete

wobbly said:
Buy the surf, then put your old 2.4 in it and sell it on as an mot'd runner!

Pete

thats not a bad idea. :think:

i will bear that in mind when i get the donor vehicle. :thumbup:

time for an update. :dance:

i bought all the paint supplies for the bodywork this week.

i took the fuel filler flap, that id T-cut, and the paint code form the vin plate and bought 2litres of
blue toyota paint, with the hardener and activator, primer, thinners, filler, brushable seem sealer, 2 tine of body shutz, and masking tape.

starting the bodywork on saturday. :thumbup:

i decided to remove the bumper, winch tray, and all the crappy fibre glass arches.

P1000957.jpg

P1000958.jpg

P1000959.jpg

i decided i wanted to remove every trace of mud from the truck ready for it to be put in the workshop and stripped down.

my first thought was to lift it up in the air with the manitou and then pressure wash underneath, but i thought this might damage the chassis or exhaust etc.

then i spotted the big ramps they use for the tractors, so i dragged them across with the bobcat, as there very very heavy.

P1000961.jpg

P1000962.jpg

so i got her up on the ramps, which gave me loads of room to get underneath.

P1000963.jpg

P1000964.jpg

i then spent the next 2 hours washing the truck with the diesel powered, heated water pressure washer.

P1000965.jpg

P1000966.jpg

i removed all the rubber bungs from the chassis and sills and blasted water through every section until the water eventually ran clear.

P1000967.jpg

P1000968.jpg

P1000969.jpg

a few pics of the rot that i will be cutting out, and replacing with new rust free steel.

P1000970.jpg

P1000971.jpg

P1000972.jpg

P1000973.jpg

finally clean!

P1000974.jpg

P1000975.jpg

next i will be getting the truck in the workshop, getting the rear jacked up as high as possible, with my huge lorry axle stands under the chassis. then remove the rear axle, prop shaft, trailing arms, and fuel tank.

then i can set about removing every spec of rust on my truck! :thumbup:

Ben, you have it all wrong, on a Land Rover its rust, on a Landcruiser its patina :thumbup:

:lol:

apart from the 2 rear corners its not bad considering its nearly 20 years old.

the chassis and rest of the body are very solid.

it will be nice to remove all the odd bits of surface patina from the chassis and body and get it all painted and waxoiled. :thumbup:

finally made a start on my truck tonight! :dance:

after id spent an hour and a half cleaning the workshop out, making room for my truck. :thumbdown:

first i found a place for my bumper that will keep it out of the way for the next month while i strip down and rebuild her.

P1000976.jpg

so i drove the front up onto ramps.

P1000975-1.jpg

P1000977.jpg

got the back jacked up fairly high.

P1000978.jpg

P1000979.jpg

to give some sort of idea of how high it is on the axle stands, thats a 35" tyre, so ive managed to get the back end nice and high for the body work.

P1000980.jpg

i then put a trolley jack under the rear axle and began un-bolting the rear shocks. after unbolting the tops of the shocks it became apparant that the bottom mounts on the shocks were very loose. :shock:

maybe this is why it has felt like a death trap just lately and why the whole car has been vibrating on bumpy roads.

its so bad that it has worn the pin on the end of the shock.

P1000981.jpg

P1000982.jpg

it has also badly elongated the holes on the axle, so that will need a plate welding over and a new hole drilling.

so shocks removed.

P1000983.jpg

followed by springs.

P1000984.jpg

followed by the axle.

P1000986.jpg

P1000988.jpg

didnt get as much done as id have liked tonight, but by 10pm id had enough and wanted to come home for dinner and a beer. :thumbup:

tomorrow i need to remove the fuel tank, so its ready for the bodywork on saturday morning.

hopefully that wont take too long as i want to be in the pub by 7pm. :twisted:

Gav Peter said:
Yeah but it would probably handle better if the dampers were actually bolted in place eh??? :p :p :p

:lol: :lol:
ben said:
it became apparant that the bottom mounts on the shocks were very loose.
So I wasn't too far from the mark then dude!!!! :lol:

Good start to the works - liking those big boy axle stands :cool:

Hmmm! :naughty:

On a personal but safety orientated viewpoint, I don't like the positioning of the axle stands. I note that the tops of the stands have been crudely battered flat. These "Ears" should be positioned under the chassis side rails. In placing them under the rear crossmember, a slip with a jack etc could, all to easily displace a stand with major consequences.

I like the workshop though :thumbup:

Roger

The damage to the shock bottom pin is due to the securing nut being slack and/or the two middle washers not being present or being the wrong type.

Roger

thanks Gav. :thumbup:

axle stands were a carboot bargain that my mate got me for £5, i think there lorry ones. :dance:

Roger the stands were like that when i got them, i certainly havnt crudely battered them flat.

i did originally position them properly, but then i realised they would be in the way of me dropping the fuel tank down.
fuel tank is now off, so maybe i might move the stands, but the truck feels quite solid. the front chassis rails are touching/leaning against the wall.

thanks, the workshop is a good space, and im lucky to have access to it. :thumbup:

should be geting a brand new 150litre compressor in soon and a refurbished 2 post lift! :dance:

Roger Fairclough said:
The damage to the shock bottom pin is due to the securing nut being slack and/or the two middle washers not being present or being the wrong type.

Roger

washers were missing. :doh:

Getting there slowly then Ben ...you'll soon have a fully kitted out workshop.

not that i'm envious at all :liar: :liar: :liar:

i wish mate! my workshop isnt anywhere near as big as that. cant get a truck in mine. :thumbdown:

thats my boss's. he decided to get back into 4x4ing after not doing any off roading for about 5 years. so he bought his landy, and then decided we should build a workshop so weve got some where to work on it. in return for me helping him build it, over a few evenings, in the end of one of the barns, he said i can use it when i want. :thumbup:

so i said right, can i have it for a month. :lol:

need to have my truck all done by the start of september though, as thats what i promised him.

starting the bodywork tomorrow. :twisted:

Back