Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 Build Thread!

Work continued digging and leveling my way along.

IMG_6467.jpg

And the rock pile continued to grow.

IMG_6468.jpg

IMG_6469.jpg

I bought some bar chairs.

IMG_6622.jpg

Tie wires and I knew this old tool I've been carrying around for the past 15 years and never needed, would be needed one day!

IMG_6623.jpg

I cut some mesh, laid it on the bar chairs and secured it all together with the tie wires.

IMG_6624.jpg

IMG_6626.jpg

Mixed some concrete.

IMG_6629.jpg

And poured it all in.

IMG_6631.jpg

IMG_6632.jpg

Next I needed to wash the clay and mud off some rocks.

I set aside an area that wouldnt put anymore water into the already water logged ground I was working on.

IMG_6634.jpg

IMG_6635.jpg

IMG_6698.jpg

IMG_6699.jpg

And began construction of the wall! :dance:

This first area was built using small rocks as because there is already a bit of an overhang on the concrete foundation for the brickwork above I couldnt go too big as I didnt want the rest of the wall to stick out too much past the brickwork.

I also wanted to pour concrete behind my little wall to help stabilise the brickwork as it was beginning to become a bit too undermined for my liking and there were already a few old cracks in the brickwork.

IMG_6717.jpg

I wasnt prepared to let the weather stop me from the task at hand so tarps were erected on days of rain.

IMG_6718.jpg

IMG_6719.jpg

IMG_6721.jpg

IMG_6722.jpg

IMG_6723.jpg

IMG_6726.jpg

IMG_6727.jpg

IMG_6729.jpg

Wooden boards were needed to keep the bank from falling in in places.

IMG_6748.jpg

IMG_6749.jpg

The next section of concrete footing was ready to be poured and cast.

IMG_6750.jpg

IMG_6753.jpg

I also concreted behind the little stone wall section.

The entire wall will be capped with 300mm square paving slabs, including this low section which will form a bit of a bench/table as I'm going to build a small patio in front of it as its a nice place to sit in the evenings with the wall providing shade from the strong summer sun on your back.

The brickwork will get pressure washed and re-pointed where necessary.

IMG_6754.jpg

All along the bank the top meter is made ground and when they constructed the house they dumped all their rubbish in this area, including a mountain or rocks that they couldnt see any value in, which I've been digging out and adding to the pile.

That big rock in the pic below was too good to leave buried so it had to come out. :icon-twisted:

IMG_6788.jpg

Only it turned out to be much bigger than I was expecting. :icon-eek:

I managed to get it down onto a sheet of OSB but then I couldnt lift it to get the board out. :doh:

IMG_6792.jpg

So I was pondering what to do, thinking I wish I had a crane............

Then I remembered I do have a crane! :dance:

I had to go and buy some 6mm thick walled tube and a piece of 4mm thick square box section that fitted inside it as the original crane arm wasnt long enough and a piece of 50mm box with a 5mm wall bent like a banana and I had to add a lot of ballast to the base of the crane to keep it down but it bloody worked a treat! :icon-cool:

IMG_6794.jpg

I lifted it up, pressure washed it and then lowered it down onto a bed of mortar.

IMG_6797.jpg

And built it into my wall!

IMG_6806.jpg

I continued digging and had made it the very end of where the wall will be!

IMG_6823.jpg

Bit more wall building.................

IMG_6994.jpg

More concreting next and this section around the corner I decided to do as a stepped footing rather than wasting lots of stone under the ground that will never be seen.

Alongside this section of wall will be a concrete driveway down to the new garage I'm going to build for The 78 and car parts to live in.

IMG_7003.jpg

IMG_7005.jpg

These bits of bed rock were too hard to try and remove so I decided to build them into the wall and so I concreted around them.

IMG_7010.jpg

IMG_7013.jpg

IMG_7014.jpg

More wall building.

IMG_7023.jpg

IMG_7022.jpg

I went through the entire dirty rock pile and re-stacked it, mainly so I could see if there were anymore big rocks worth pulling out and secondly to give better access to the site.

You can see how much water it sitting on the ground so the pallets really have been a god send!

IMG_7030.jpg

The pile of big rocks at the bottom of the pic below were waiting to be used on the next section of wall, many of them were too heavy to lift so I needed to use them at the bottom of the wall and use the sack truck to move them to their position and then use crow bars and some times pieces of pipe as rollers to get them perfectly into position.

IMG_7033.jpg

With the main section of wall nearing completion I dug down behind it and added some scourian volcanic rock and a length of agi pipe for drainage, so that ground water doesnt build up behind the wall.

I then covered the entire pipe in the scourian rock.

IMG_7038.jpg

IMG_7039.jpg

And I then began filling over the top with dirt.

IMG_7053.jpg

So close now!

IMG_7047.jpg

IMG_7055.jpg

I'm hoping next weekend to finish the main section and go around the corner and up the stepped footing. :icon-cool:

I also want to winch that tree out. :icon-twisted:

Spring has definitely arrived in Melbourne and my hope is that in a month or 2 the ground will have dried up enough for me to get the machines back in (a normal sized bobcat this time) to finish the job they started all those months ago. :dance:

Then I can get a load of top soil delivered to go under the lawn, get a load of ready mix concrete delivered for the driveway and garage pad and then work can begin on building a garage.

Before then I want to source a load of cheap second hand paving slabs for the top of my wall and patio area. :think:

Last edited:
Air Boat

Lots has been happening on the airboat since my last update and it really became a tale of tragedy and triumph!

We took it for testing again, this time with the new wider, curvier front and it got up and planed perfectly! :dance:

IMG_5980.jpg

IMG_5986.jpg

IMG_5989.jpg

IMG_5991.jpg

But we found it was now torque steering where by once it got up to speed it was leaning to the right and we were having to steer left all the time to go in a straight line. :doh:

So we brought it back and made some sponsons to go on the sides, the one on the right we bolted slightly below the hull and the left one flush with the hull and we really hoped that would fix it. :pray:

IMG_6024.jpg

IMG_6025.jpg

IMG_6027.jpg

IMG_6029.jpg

They did stop the torque steering but they stopped us getting up to top speed and they created a lot of drag and we had a lot of water come in the boat, at speed it was pouring in! :thumbdown:

So we brought it back and removed them and designed some adjustable trim tabs for the rear and adjustable fins for the sides. :ugeek:

Then disaster struck!

We were working away at work, when my manager went into our warehouse next door to look for a battery tray when we heard his panicked voice over the intercom saying "AIRBOAT ON FIRE" :shock:

We all went running into the warehouse where we were greeted with thick black acrid smoke that had completely filled the building and as we neared the airboat there were 6 foot flames above it! :wtf:

I grabbed a fire extinguisher as we ran and I soon had the flames out, but we needed to wrestle the melted jumper leads from the batteries, so my boss and I both got a bit of a shock but we got them off and we could then assess the damage. :|

IMG_6204.jpg

IMG_6205.jpg

IMG_6206.jpg

IMG_6208.jpg

IMG_6209.jpg

That burnt and melted wire was cable tied to the fuel lines!

A little bit further up at the engine end it ends and theres a rubber hose from the metal lines to the engine.I'm so glad I chose to use metal for most of the fuel lines, but even so I suspect another minute, maybe less and that rubber hose would have burnt and the 60 litres of 98 premium unleaded in the tank would have gone up.

IMG_6210.jpg

We're incredibly lucky my manager found it when he did! If he hadnt the boat and most likely the building would have gone up! :crazy:

The cause we suspect was a crocodile clip on the jumper lead connecting the 2 battery positive posts which were being charged with a battery charger, coming loose and falling off and landing on the negative terminal.

We've sold hundreds of those chargers and never had a faulty one let alone a fire, so we feel the crocodile clip falling off is more likely. :think:

We rebuilt it, got the seat re-covered, fitted new batteries and added the trim tabs and fins and my boss took it for one more test which I sadly couldnt attend and found that finally it all worked perfectly!!! :dance:

He brought it back and I stripped it down ready for its final weld and powder coating.

On the pic below you can see the trim tabs and fins.

IMG_6398.jpg

IMG_6399.jpg

After the final welding and getting a few bits powder coated we could reassemble it.

IMG_6711.jpg

IMG_6713.jpg

And then we took it out for another test run.

IMG_6864.jpg

IMG_6865.jpg

IMG_6866.jpg

IMG_6867.jpg

IMG_6868.jpg

IMG_6870.jpg

IMG_6873.jpg

IMG_6874.jpg

IMG_6879.jpg

IMG_6880.jpg

IMG_6881.jpg

IMG_6882.jpg

IMG_6883.jpg

It worked faultlessly and goes really fast! :dance:

We want to take it for an endurance test where we take it out for 4-5 hours and if that all goes OK then its ready to take to Darwin to go croc spotting in the swamps. :icon-twisted:

In the meantime my boss is getting some graphics printed and applied to the sides. :icon-cool:

Last edited:
It looks like it's dropped an edge, and that's what's making it turn to the right - did you try putting some weight over the other side to balance it out? Is the fuel tank across the hull or to one side?

When kayaking or canoeing, you drop an edge, and basically the boat will turn to that side (well, there are some exceptions, but that's the gist of it). In those, you do it by weighting that side; for a canoe, it can make it easier paddling solo as you can drop the edge to your on side (ie the side your paddling on) and that counters your paddle stroke, helping to keep you in a straighter line.

Great write up as always Ben! If you would like, could you please send your rain this way? This is the state of our yard at the moment - and that's not the most bare section...
IMG_20190819_173038063.jpg

Thanks. :icon-biggrin:

We thought about that but then when its going slowly or was just sitting in the water it sat nice and level, it was only at speed that it was leaning.

The trim tabs have fixed it perfectly though!

The fuel tank runs across the hull so is nice and balanced. :thumbup:

Wow that is bad! :icon-eek:

When did you last get rain?

Massive work with the garden work.
Watch your back when you do all the heavy lifting.
This work you’re doing is reminding me of the similar work I did 15 years ago in my garden. But my end result was a big raised outdoor patio instead of a garage.
Nice to read and see the progress you are doing!

Reactions: Ben
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Lovely bit of stonework there Ben, the best time for concreting is when the ground is wet, so it’ll be nice and strong.
:thumbup:

last night i got the front bumper totally finished ready for powder coating.

today i dropped the bumper and winch tray off, and got the body lift spacers powder coated.

View attachment 51683

View attachment 51684

so tonight i got home early (6pm) and decided to try and undo the body mount bolts. i was pleasantly surprised to find them all undo very easily with a bit of WD40, apart from one which sheared off.

View attachment 51685

View attachment 51686

View attachment 51687

View attachment 51688

theres 4 bolts that are 100mm long.

View attachment 51689

and the front 2 are 160mm long.

View attachment 51690

i had dinner and a beer and thought id start fitting the body lift spacers rather than waiting till the weekend.

so i got the trolley jack out and some blocks of wood and jacked one side up.

View attachment 51691

View attachment 51692

once id jacked high enough for the bodylift spacers to fit in, i put them in place.

on the front i had to hack saw the bush in half.

View attachment 51693

View attachment 51694

one side done, i lowered it down.

View attachment 51695

View attachment 51696

View attachment 51697

i then moved onto the other side. after having a quick check under the bonnet i decided to remove 2 of the spring clips off the 2 brake lines to give the lines a bit more slack where they go from body to chassis. i also checked the fuel filler neck and unbolted it from the body.

View attachment 51698

i then jacked it up and slid the spacers in place and lowered it back down.

View attachment 51699

View attachment 51700

View attachment 51701

now got 25" of clearance under the sills.

View attachment 51702

im off to the billing 4x4 show tomorrow, and im hoping there might be some one on one of the trade stands selling bolts. i need to replace the 8 original bolts for ones that are 50mm longer.

i checked i can still get into all gears comfortably which i can, and the steering feels fine. the only gear i cant get is 4 low, so i will need to adjust the angle/length of the transfer stick. :thumbup:

had my truck looked at by an auto electrician today, who said the alternator, fitted 6 months ago is knackered. :thumbdown: will be calling the supplier tomorrow to see what there going to do about it.

Hi, can you contact me on [email protected]. I need some help pls

Monster job with the ground works, but looking great, quality work

Thanks guys. :thumbup:

Apologies for the long time between updates, I've been very busy working on the house, garden and fleet of Toyota's + my part time job at Piranha. :shifty:

The Garden

I finished the wall going around the corner and up the hill. :icon-cool:

IMG_6003.jpg

IMG_6001.jpg

IMG_6002.jpg

I picked up a trailer load of paving slabs for the bargain price of $50 and they had all been laid on sand so were nice and clean underneath. :dance:

IMG_6004.jpg

Perfect capping stones.

IMG_6005.jpg

IMG_6006.jpg

I also picked up another load of bargain pavers which I will use for a patio in front of the wall.

IMG_6007.jpg

IMG_6008.jpg

I got all the capping stones on the wall.

IMG_6010.jpg

IMG_6011.jpg

IMG_6012.jpg

IMG_6014.jpg

This is the area where the new patio will be.

I almost decided to build a pizza oven into my stone wall but decided it probably wouldnt get used very often so decided against it.

IMG_6013.jpg

To keep Sam, Lexi and drunk adults from falling off the top of the wall I built a temporary fence.

In a year or 2 when we build the big extension on the back of the house, the fence will go as the walls of the house (well garage actually, house will be at the top) will go up to the edge of the stone wall.

Sam helped me.

IMG_6015.jpg

IMG_6016.jpg

I stained the wood and fitted some mesh.

IMG_6017.jpg

IMG_6018.jpg

I built another small retaining wall section below the first one I built, this is where my small shed will be moved to, along with a rain water tank.

IMG_6020.jpg

IMG_6021.jpg

We had weeks and weeks without rain in October and I thought we could finally get the machines back in as the ground had dried up beautifully! :dance:

But the week they were due we had a few days of rain. :|

The guy dropped the bobcat off early, on the Thursday.

IMG_6022.jpg

But unfortunately with its tiny worn tyres and low ground clearance the moist ground soon had it stuck again and again! :angry-screaming:

IMG_6023.jpg

Thankfully I had waffle boards and they worked well for getting it back out.

IMG_6024.jpg

I emailed the guy and said dont bring the digger as its too wet. Come and pick up the bobcat and let me know what I owe you for you to bring both machines back in a month or 2.

Well the guy couldnt have been nicer, he said as I'd given him 24 hours notice before my hire was meant to start (weekend hire and I got the bobcat on the Thursday) there would be no charge! :icon-eek: :clap:

I cant recommend Matt and his company enough, friendly, helpful, great prices and went out of his way a few times to help me out. :clap:

http://southeasternrentals.com.au

So a couple of weeks ago I got the machines back and this time I requested the big tracked loader again, instead of the Toyota bobcat which I had found difficult to get the hang of as the controls are completely different to the big, one plus I loved the amount of balls the big machine had. :icon-twisted:

IMG_7951.jpg

Nice dry ground.

IMG_7953.jpg

IMG_7954.jpg

Despite the facial expression, for a little boy obsessed with diggers this was one of the best days of his life.

IMG_7957.jpg

IMG_7961.jpg

IMG_7966.jpg

We soon had it looking nice and flat. :dance:

IMG_7975.jpg

I needed to move the rocks (again) so that I could get the machines down the bottom, so I decided to overload one of my trailers and get a load of them completely out of the back garden.

IMG_7977.jpg

IMG_7979.jpg

I knew it would be a struggle to get it up and out so I lowered the tyre pressures right down.

IMG_7982.jpg

I almost made it up.....

IMG_7984.jpg

IMG_7985.jpg

Even having both diff locks in wasnt enough.

IMG_7986.jpg

But with a few waffle boards it was soon up and out. :dance:

IMG_7988.jpg

IMG_7987.jpg

And I could then start digging out the bottom tier and moving the dirt up the hill side to where it was needed.

IMG_7989.jpg

This machine kicks ass!

Theres over a cubic meter of dirt and rock in the bucket and it powered straight up the steep hill side with ease! :icon-twisted:

IMG_7996.jpg

Filled my shed base up.

IMG_7997.jpg

And ended up with a lovely big area of flat ground.

IMG_7999.jpg

In order for me to have car access straight down the side of our block of land from the top to the bottom this fern had to go.

IMG_8001.jpg

IMG_8002.jpg

It pulled out OK but landed on the cab! :doh:

IMG_8003.jpg

IMG_8004.jpg

That done I started to bring the mountain of unused rocks down to the bottom tier.

My plan is to make some gabions (metal cages filled with rocks) as a retaining wall along where I've cut into the hillside, to stop it all eroding.

IMG_8005.jpg

IMG_8006.jpg

The next morning I decided I wanted to take an extra meter of hill side out to give me an even bigger flat area down the bottom as otherwise it was just wasted land.

IMG_8021.jpg

String line set and the digging could begin. :icon-twisted:

IMG_8022.jpg

Last edited:
All was going well until I hit our sewer main! :doh:

IMG_8023.jpg

IMG_8024.jpg

It didnt take long for me to repair and lower it.

IMG_8025.jpg

And digging could resume!

IMG_8026.jpg

With the digging done we could jump back in the other machine to spread it all around and move a few more loads up the hill side.

IMG_8030.jpg

This has given me a huge 165 square meter piece of land which is almost flat (I wanted a very slight slope so rain water drains off).

This bottom tier will have veggie patches, huge green house, chook (chicken) pen and an area to have fires.

IMG_8037.jpg

Once all the fruit trees grown up in the orchard section above the bottom tier, it will be invisible from the top tiers.

IMG_8038.jpg

I continued bringing loads of rocks down and emptied the trailer.

IMG_8039.jpg

Its a tight fit in this machine and the LandCruiser's only just fit.

IMG_8040.jpg

I used the digger to track over the shed base to compact the dirt down.

IMG_8041.jpg

I dug a trench to lay some storm water pipes.

IMG_8042.jpg

IMG_8044.jpg

Picked up some 6 meter lengths of storm water pipe.

IMG_8046.jpg

Fitted the pipe.

IMG_8047.jpg

IMG_8049.jpg

IMG_8050.jpg

And filled it all back in.

I will dig up the bottom of the pipe again soon so I can connect in the agi pipe from behind the stone wall and add some more pipe to send it further down the hill side to the orchard section.

IMG_8051.jpg

So this is where I'm up to........................

Bottom tier.

IMG_8053.jpg

Loads of rocks and even more still further up the hillside that I pulled out when digging the trench for the storm water pipe.

IMG_8054.jpg

IMG_8056.jpg

Orchard section in the middle with apple, pear, mandarin, lemon, peach, plum and cherry trees and garden shed will be at the back.

IMG_8057.jpg

Flat area for garden shed and water tank.

IMG_8058.jpg

And huge 190 square meter flat lawn area on one of the upper tiers.

IMG_8063.jpg

IMG_8059.jpg

I will need to truck in a load of good quality top soil and then I will seed it and get some grass growing.

IMG_8061.jpg

This area and the ramp down will all get concreted and then I will build a car port from the gate all the way to the top of the ramp. That will give me undercover storage for 2 Toyota's.

IMG_8066.jpg

IMG_8064.jpg

IMG_8067.jpg

The pallet of clean rocks and possibly some of the dirty rocks next to them will be used to build another small stone retaining wall on the other side of the ramp to retain the dirt below the fence, on the advice of my concreter mate who is going to help me do the concrete driveway.

IMG_8065.jpg

IMG_8069.jpg

My original plan was to build a big garage/shed on the left hand side but I've now decided against that idea and will instead make it all lawn.

IMG_8070.jpg

So thats the garden!

Next step is to finish the stormwater drainage, build the small stone retaining wall going up the ramp, build the patio, concrete the shed base and move the shed and finally concrete the driveway/ramp so I can build the carport. :icon-biggrin:

I've got 10 days off at the end of January so I'm hoping to do it all then.:icon-cool:

I've been doing a bit of work inside the house.

I tinted the remaining windows on the house to keep the harsh sun out and to give us lots of privacy (I cant stand net curtains so window tints are great). :shifty:

Decorated the spare bedroom and fitted ceiling fans in all 3 bedrooms, for the few months each year when it gets too hot.

Last week I finally, almost a year after I pulled the old lino up in the kitchen, got the hardwood floor boards sanded and varnished!

Next time I will hire a proper floor sander as it was very time consuming with my little 3" belt sander. :crazy:

IMG_8123.jpg

IMG_8125.jpg

IMG_8129.jpg

IMG_8130.jpg

IMG_8131.jpg

IMG_8132.jpg

IMG_8134.jpg

Car update next! :dance:

Last edited:
Hi Ben sum more top job's that is looking so good that is one lot of work you have done its a big :thumbup: up from Tony.

As some of you may know I've always dreamed about owning a Mid Night Blue VDJ79 duel cab 70 series. :romance-hearteyes:

And I had been saving up to buy one with the idea to save up $30k to pay for all the mods and then get the $65k cost of the cab chassis vehicle on finance. :shifty:

And then the more and more I thought about it I decided it simply isnt worth putting myself in that sort of debt and also I didnt want our lifestyle to change in order to pay off a car (my wife and I both only work part time, so we get lots of time together as a family) and I didnt want to have to start working full time again, I never want to do that ever again! :think:

But I knew a pick up truck (ute) would be really handy and ideally it would need to be over 25 years old so it can go on historic registration like my LJ78 and soon my LJ70.
My plan has always been to sell my Astra and have 3-4 older cars on historic registration as that would work out cheaper for registration and insurance than one normal car (the Astra). :shifty:

I thought about an old 75 series pick up but they were only ever available in single cab and with a growing family that would be no good, then I spotted an old, live axle Hilux!

It ticked a lot of boxes and most importantly it was live axles! I'm not a fan of IFS or IRS. :icon-twisted:

I spotted one on ebay that needed a bit of work, had high miles and in the pics looked like it had a bent chassis, it was also very reasonably priced!

I went and looked at it and discovered it was being sold by a smoking hot young lady who was selling it for her grandfather who was of Greek descent (so she had beautiful olive skin). :icon-razz:

It turned out hed owned it since new and it had spent its entire life in the city and had never really been off road apart from the odd camping/fishing trip.

He took it to TJM shortly after buying it in 1994 and got a bullbar, side bars, rear bar, Warn winch and canopy all fitted and the receipt was in the glovebox.

Upon closer inspection the reason the gap between the tub and cab wasnt even and why it looked like the chassis could be bent was because the front mounts on the tub were badly broken (an easy fix). :icon-cool:

So I bought it and drove it home.

IMG_7645.jpg

IMG_7646.jpg

IMG_7647.jpg

The hideous worn out canopy was the first thing to go.

IMG_7648.jpg

It had protected the tub nicely.

IMG_7649.jpg

Notice how low the towbar hangs down, more on that later.

IMG_7651.jpg

The way everything was mounted on the bullbar would need some attention but the TJM bullbar and Warn winch were a nice bonus.

Below the bonnet was a 3L engine which is a non turbo 2.8 litre diesel and a bit of a snail, particularly on hills. But it will go forever and I wont be driving big distances in it! This one has nearly 500k on the clock!

IMG_7650.jpg

I got a pre road worthy inspection done (MOT) as I would need a certificate of road worthyness in order to register it in my name (the only time vehicles in Victoria ever need testing, so as the guy had owned it from new, it had likely never had a test in 25 years of his ownership. :ugeek:

I knew the suspension bushes, tyres and seat belt would be failure items and I also got them to check the entire thing over for anything else that isnt a RWC item but would need attention.

IMG_7915.jpg

The first thing I changed was the wheels and tyres.

I ditched the old narrow split rims in favour of aftermarket steel wheels with a decent negative off set and a set of 31" mud tyres.

I got them all at cost price through work and used the tyre machine to fit and balance them all. :dance:

IMG_7700.jpg

IMG_7710.jpg

Quite a bit wider than the old ones.

IMG_7712.jpg

But only slightly taller as I didnt want to mess up the gearing too much as its no rocket ship to start with!

IMG_7713.jpg

A big improvement!!

IMG_7716.jpg

A few days later a storm knocked a hug tree down at one of my neighbours houses and the guy said I could take some of the wood! :dance:

So I loaded her right up! :icon-twisted:

IMG_7742.jpg

I picked up a new stereo and some speakers to replace the old tape deck in the cab.

IMG_7763.jpg

And found an old second hand GME UHF radio and speaker at work.

IMG_7767.jpg

Got them all fitted.

One feature I like about the stereo is the volt gauge which I've set to be permanently displayed when the stereo is on, so I will know if the alternator starts to die.

IMG_7768.jpg

I pulled the TJM rear bar off which is a seriously chunky bit of kit and quite heavy.

IMG_7770.jpg

IMG_7771.jpg

This plough had to go!

IMG_7772.jpg

And in its place a reciever hitch so I can also use it as a recovery point when off road and not towing.

IMG_7773.jpg

IMG_7775.jpg

I ditched the old worn out halogen lights for some modern side shooter LED ones.

IMG_7777.jpg

IMG_7780.jpg

IMG_7781.jpg

IMG_7782.jpg

Before I wired the new lights up I made up a bracket at work out of 3mm alluminium to mount an albright style winch solenoid (so I could move the hideous and in the way Warn box off the top of the bullbar) and to allow me to mount 2 relays, one for the rear lights and one for the front light.

IMG_7802.jpg

IMG_7805.jpg

You can also see the fuse box I added in the background which I had started adding wires to.

IMG_7804.jpg

Suspension next...................

The people who bought Piranha earlier in the year also own lots of other companies, one of which is a suspension company and Blue Max is their brand.

So I got a complete suspension package at an unbelievable price! Its amazing just how much suspension can be bought for when buying container loads from China and India!

OK.......... its never going to be as good as some of the more expensive brands out there but for a truck that wont be doing many miles and wont be doing huge trips I'm happy to give it a go.

IMG_7787.jpg

IMG_7789.jpg

The tub needed to come off anyway to be repaired so I figured I might as well remove that and fit the rear suspension while its off as access would be much easier and I can work from above for most of it. :think:

Before I pulled it off though I found a headboard at work off a Triton which I hoped would be the correct size and shape for my tub, as my original one had been cut off many years ago when they fitted the canopy.

It turned out to be perfect and was even almost the right colour! :dance:

IMG_7790.jpg

IMG_7791.jpg

Tub off.

IMG_7795.jpg

IMG_7796.jpg

IMG_7798.jpg

IMG_7800.jpg

And all jacked up and supported ready for the new suspension to go on.

IMG_7808.jpg

Original 25 year old Toyota suspension versus new.

IMG_7809.jpg

IMG_7811.jpg

With that all on work could commence on the tub.

IMG_7816.jpg

Badly broken front mount and a crack all the way along the front of the tub.

IMG_7817.jpg

IMG_7818.jpg

I cut, drilled, bent and shaped some 3mm steel sheet.

IMG_7820.jpg

IMG_7822.jpg

And welded it on.

IMG_7824.jpg

Welded the headboard on next.

IMG_7823.jpg

IMG_7825.jpg

Gave it a coat of paint and got it back on the truck.

IMG_7826.jpg IMG_7793.jpg

Last edited:
I was really pleased with how the tub and rear suspension was now looking. :icon-biggrin:

IMG_7831.jpg

And having a headboard will be very useful when carrying long items like the 6 meter lengths of pipe for the garden. :icon-cool:

IMG_7830.jpg

I turned it around to change the front suspension.

IMG_7832.jpg

IMG_7833.jpg

It all went well but I had to buy and fit a drop drag link as the original straight one was hitting the leaf spring U bolt, a common issue.

IMG_7880.jpg

IMG_7882.jpg

I mentioned earlier that the bullbar needed some attention to modernise it a bit..............

The winch still worked perfectly but the old steel cable had to go.

IMG_7871.jpg

Someone had screwed a chunk of wood to the bulllbar to mount the number plate to. :icon-rolleyes:

IMG_7872.jpg

With the old cable and piece of wood gone, next I removed the dated, faded, orange halogen indicators.

IMG_7874.jpg

I found some perfect LED lights at work but they wernt quite big enough so I made up some adapter plates at work out of 3mm alluminium which I painted black.

IMG_7873.jpg

Much better!

IMG_7876.jpg IMG_7875.jpg

I removed the old Warn solenoid box from the top of the bullbar next and wired the winch to the new albright style solenoid on the bracket under the bonnet. Which gave me room for a new LED light bar I got from work.

I also fitted synthetic winch rope with a black alluminium off set hawse fairlead and made a flip up number plate bracket. :icon-cool:

What an improvement! :clap:

IMG_7913.jpg

IMG_7931.jpg

IMG_7932.jpg

I will put some black rivets in those holes to fill them in.

IMG_7917.jpg

IMG_7933.jpg

I'm really happy with how its tuned out! :dance:

IMG_7916.jpg

IMG_7914.jpg

Few small things to do like getting all the windows tinted so I dont feel like I'm driving around in a gold fish bowl but its almost there!

Eventually I want to run this and the 78 on waste veg oil and I may at some point drop a 1KZ engine in but that can wait for the moment. :icon-biggrin:

Last edited:
LJ

Last but by no means least LJ!

It was over 3 years since I took LJ off the roads and started the big rebuild with new body and V8 engine conversion. :shifty:

After spending the last year working as an auto electrician I now felt confident enough to tackle the wiring. :icon-twisted:

After doing some research on the internet.

So I got to work..................

I removed the wiring loom from the engine and got it on the bench and removed the auto transmission loom and fitted a few new wires and changed a few things around.

70.jpg

71.jpg

A lot of the plugs were very brittle and shattered when I unclipped them.:doh:

72.jpg

Particularly the injector plugs, they just exploded. :thumbdown:

73.jpg

But I went to the scrap yard and got a load of new ones off late model Toyota's, unpinned the broken ones on my loom and clipped the new ones on.

With the engine side of the wiring loom all done I turned my attention to the injectors.

The injectors themselves looked visually OK but the seals on the top and bottom were very brittle and falling apart.

So I got them all tested, cleaned and rebuilt.

74.jpg

75.jpg

76.jpg

I re-fitted the injectors, engine wiring loom and fitted 4 new relays in the engine bay and wired them all up to connect to the ECU, fuel pump, Ignition and battery and got it running! :happy-wavemulticol:

I was so happy!!!! :dance:

I discovered that the water pump was leaking and the alternator wasnt charging. :doh:

So I ordered some new parts and stripped it all down.

88.jpg

90.jpg

Genuine water pump and form in place gasket.

92.jpg

93.jpg

91.jpg

Genuine Bosch alternator.

111.jpg

New viscous fan as the old one had movement on the shaft.

112.jpg

113.jpg

Fan and radiator cowl in position, I could drop the radiator back in next.

114.jpg

I got it all reassembled and the alternator is working and its not leaking any coolant. :clap:

Theres still a few issues to sort out and no doubt a few fault codes to diagnose and fix but at least its starting, running and driving! :icon-biggrin:

Hoping to take it for a proper test drive over the next few weeks and I'm hoping to have it on club/historic registration along with my other 2 Toyota's within the next few months. :icon-cool:

I did drive it down into the back garden though so I could get some decent pics of it alongside my other 2 historic Toyota 4wd's. :icon-twisted:

IMG_8095.jpg

IMG_8096.jpg

IMG_8097.jpg

IMG_8098.jpg

IMG_8099.jpg

IMG_8100.jpg

IMG_8102.jpg

IMG_8103.jpg

IMG_8104.jpg

IMG_8106.jpg

IMG_8108.jpg

IMG_8110.jpg

IMG_8112.jpg

IMG_8113.jpg

IMG_8114.jpg

IMG_8115.jpg

IMG_8116.jpg

IMG_8117.jpg

IMG_8118.jpg

IMG_8119.jpg IMG_8111.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Ben, very impressive and inspiring work again. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Amazing update Ben, such a lot of work done in the garden, I know first-hand how difficult and strenuous that can be!
Nice find with the Hilux too, but the only thing you forgot to post was a photo of the “smoking hot” young lady you bought it off :angry-nono: :lol:

Amazing update Ben, such a lot of work done in the garden, I know first-hand how difficult and strenuous that can be!
Nice find with the Hilux too, but the only thing you forgot to post was a photo of the “smoking hot” young lady you bought it off :angry-nono: :lol:
Beat me to it Clive! :laughing-rolling:

Good work Ben as usual. I can’t believe it’s 3 years since you started on LJ!
The little man’s growing into a fine lad. He’s going to be a chip off the ol’ block for sure.

I remember being about your age and hiring a small machine for the local boat club. A young lad probably younger than Sam was stood watching me with his dad at the fence and wouldn’t move on. I offered his dad to sit him on my knees to work it and he was completely spellbound for about half an hour. I hope I made his day and often wonder if he remembers it, now he must be in his 20s. :lol:
Magical.

Nice job! I know that feel of the first start-up after several years of building, it's awesome!

(Btw, isn't Ben starting to sound like an Aussie when speaking? :lol: )

Back