Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

iwan's 70's!

Had another hit on setting up the vehicle loom today..
View attachment 15099

Funny this wiring job, there's always a feeling that it wount work!!:think:

Iwan, that's my idea of the worst ever nightmare. :wtf:

My hat is off to you on this project, and "junk truck" it won't be, when you're done, it's gonna be a beaut whichever way the project goes! :thumbup:

Regarding the Ignition wiring and Immobiliser, I believe that they're paired aren't they and will only work with the vehicle it came off? I could be totally wrong but believe a guy who swapped his 1KZ for the D4D had the same problem. You might want to look into that and make sure it'll work with the Hilux ignition barrel.

And I believe the Turbos on these are Variable Vane right? Means Upgrading can be difficult due to the electronics... I have heard the chips are the best way as it'll deal with the turbo boost and fueling all together and can get you better power and economy overall.

You could be correct there Beau.. from this setup and from what I've studied this weekend is that the ignition barrel, the ecu and the immobiliser ecu are paired and set uiquely.. the main imobilising wires are all purple and are well spread across the loom thats left over (pretty much whats left with it running in the youtube vid).
2kd in vehicle loom 008.JPG

From the ecu (lower rhs) there's the obd diagnostic port, then the immobiliser ecu with unique bar code(matched, with purple wires) anti clockwise next condition relay this turns on the engine light, the oil change and cambelt light etc..
The orange box is the relay integrator which has the alarm for lights left on.. and is connected to the condition relay.. just above is where the ignition system runs through it powers the "ignition on" side of the truck (red wire with blue stripe+). The power from the key goes through here, no bar code on that so a standard part.
The small relay below the engine wount run without this. (thats all I know!)
Middle lh/s under bonnet relay and fuse box (mostly fuses for "on" whilst ignition off) handling main power in, wiring for key etc.. Just above to the left is the glow plug relay..
By the reel of soldering wire is the (white) main earth point and the 13 bit diagnostic port.. Just below is the non ecu under bonnet engine wiring connector with temp sender, oil pressure etc and more.. Out of shot is the fly by wire accelerator pedal above the ecu..

Just a breif not too technical description of whats left of the loom I have cut up.:icon-cool:

Had a try to get it going today, read afterwards that if you activate the immobiliser you have to get it reset accordingly by some one qualified, or more qualified than myself! Lol So am going to get my mate to remove the immobiliser off the ecu and test the loom... Dont want to have a dash fire from faulty wiring.

I did the crude way of blanking off the egr by crushing and folding the cut off pipe ends :lol: and emptied the smoke filter so should be a good power gain there.

All good!

Last edited:
Be careful that the pipe is crushed and sealed off properly. Any EGR Gas escaping will leak power!

Hi Iwan I am will hall good with me keep up the good job :thumbup: from Tony

Iwan, that's my idea of the worst ever nightmare. :wtf:

My hat is off to you on this project, and "junk truck" it won't be, when you're done, it's gonna be a beaut whichever way the project goes! :thumbup:

Hey thanks Clive:thumbup: Remember slowly slowly catch a monkey!

Am taking the ecu and loom over to my ecu expert mate on friday. I spoke to him last night and he was supprised by the fact that I got it running.. It's the electrical route from now on!! Cheers:icon-cool:

Sweet as Iwan, so will it be ready for Lincomb? No pressure like :lol:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sweet as Iwan, so will it be ready for Lincomb? No pressure like :lol:

Hey cheers Trev! It's a fair mission.... Matt is going to come over on Sunday and last night we planned to get the body fitted.
We were talking about whether to bring it along to lincolm, depending on how much progress happens. I just have to get the green light from my mrs!! All good :thumbup:

Had a 12 hour hit on the truck yesterday. .
20140913_181938.jpg
I have most of the under body work done. Props on, checked over the original fuel lines and they were perfect condition. Have new front to rear brake pipes, I used the brake booster valve off the hilux.
20140913_181931.jpg
Perfect fit and a good move to use a part that is 16 years newer.
Then got the body out. .
20140913_192039.jpg
Matt had a couple of spare hours to come and lend a hand thankfully!
20140913_194321.jpg
Would have been a difficult task on my own. But looking real good now. Am really pleased with my new cruiser!!:icon-biggrin:

Was pretty much dark when we finished. . It also has the full set of original doors on it too. :cool:

Lookin good Iwan , have to wonder why you didn't spray paint the body before fitting it though surely it would have made painting much easier .

Lookin good Iwan , have to wonder why you didn't spray paint the body before fitting it though surely it would have made painting much easier .

Good point there mate.. it comes down to time really. The paint shop wanted the body for 3 weeks and said they needed the trailer it was on.. its needed for work.. then the body ended up in my works workshop and have a big job starting next week and it needed to be the hell out of there. The silver brown is growing on me. But it has to be white! But next year! Cheers Shayne:thumbup:

20140913_194244.jpg
I have all the dash out ready for the D4D loom to go in.. There's a lot of cleaning needed to all the dash components.
20140914_095909.jpg
Sweet with some doors.. rust free.
20140914_095952.jpg
Looks like a 70 series to me now!!:icon-cool:

Damn Iwan, that's major progress!!!
Impressed by how you got all the wiring sorted out on the engine!

Start feeling slow when I look at my 61... wish I had my body on again ;-)
I'll try and update my thread somewhere this weekend..

Cheers

Great progress Iwan :)
Cheers mate.. an enjoyable mission!!
Damn Iwan, that's major progress!!!
Impressed by how you got all the wiring sorted out on the engine!

Start feeling slow when I look at my 61... wish I had my body on again ;-)
I'll try and update my thread somewhere this weekend..

Cheers

Thanks Jente. . Its come on well. During this job I've been thinking and making a comparison with restoring a 60 series and its a world apart when it comes to time etc. Been lucky with respect that the import shell is virtually rust free. So no major welding, theres no rebuilding of the doors either. All in all a rapid refitting.
However I have the rebuilding of the front wings..so it will slow the progress.

Off out now to fit the front wings and bonnet etc to see what the deal is with regards to how the bonnet closes!!
Have you managed to find a donner chassis Jente?

Still trying to find my a descent chassis... I'll come!

Front wings can be a pain in the ass... I spent a fair amount of time swapping the rust for metal on mine ;-)

Still trying to find my a descent chassis... I'll come!

Front wings can be a pain in the ass... I spent a fair amount of time swapping the rust for metal on mine ;-)
The front wings of a 60 series are mean mothers.. hell of a shape to reconstruct.. awesome trucks!!

bonnet issue!

Had a pleasurable time fitting the front end... nice to see the white bodywork going back on..
20140921_164716.jpg
Didnt have much time to take many pics. .
20140921_164702.jpg
Am well pleased with the result. Showing great shape.. but...
20140921_164754.jpg
As expected the bonnet is tight on the top of the engine. The turbo is set quite high up. So its looking like a body lift of 50mm is in order and to drop the engine mounts too.
Spent the rest of the day cleaning up the body work.
Nice to see it clean.. also good that its not a rot box!:icon-cool:

Looking around the truck there's a lot of work left to be done. All good!

Can you not add a packer under the bonnet hinges it doesnt look like it needs that much.
stu

Back