Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

lj70 intercooler write up

what does a front mount do because we are not lifting it any ferther

Annamarie

take a look at the link birder posted - bens intercooler is fitted in front of the normal radiator.

But would this not cut down the flow to the normal rad?

Pete

It should cool the pressurised air from the turbo, currently without a vent it'll be warming it all up!

Just thinking aloud...

The intercooler you have fitted is fairly square, but the intake is rectangular and looks quite narrow - wouldnt more of a narrower but deeper scoop put the cooling air more evenly over the intercooler? ie about the same dimension as the cooler.

I like the idea though, have seen frontera intercoolers mentioned as well.

When (if ever) work picks up and moneys more free-flowing, I like this idea.

Pete

If you fit an intercooler on the forward side of the radiator, you will create a problem. A reasonably decent cooler will drop the temperature of the compressed air by as much as 70 deg. C. This is the good news as it will reduce the ex. gas temperature, and so improve engine reliability. The bad news is that in cooling the compressed air, the flow of air through the fins of the intercooler has it's temperature raised by a corresponding amount. Heat is energy, and once produced it cannot be destroyed. You either pass it on or convert it into another form of energy.

In this case it is past on into the engine coolant radiator directly behind it. Now I know that this intercooler does not completely cover the rad. behind it, but enough of it is restricted to directly effect the ability of the rad. to cope.

The best location would be on top of the engine or just to one side. This means the pipework is kept to a minimum and any latent lag in the new system is reduced.

Roger

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Roger Fairclough said:
If you fit an intercooler on the forward side of the radiator, you will create a problem. A reasonably decent cooler will drop the temperature of the compressed air by as much as 70 deg. C. This is the good news as it will reduce the ex. gas temperature, and so improve engine reliability. The bad news is that in cooling the compressed air, the flow of air through the fins of the intercooler has it's temperature raised by a corresponding amount. Heat is energy, and once produced it cannot be destroyed. You either pass it on or convert it into another form of energy.

In this case it is past on into the engine coolant radiator directly behind it. Now I know that this intercooler does not completely cover the rad. behind it, but enough of it is restricted to directly effect the ability of the rad. to cope.

The best location would be on top of the engine or just to one side. This means the pipework is kept to a minimum and any latent lag in the new system is reduced.

Roger

interesting theory Roger. :think:

ive not had any problems with mine over heating and the engine runs no hotter than it used to.

ive got a good 150mm between the back of my intercooler and front of radiator, and the intercooler only obstructs the top half of the rad, so the air can easily go underneath it to the rad. the viscous fan is also obviously on constantly so that is pulling cold air through the rad.

maybe if/when i remove the viscous fan and fit an electric one, i might see a slight rise in engine temp, but so far no change at all. ;)

i agree with you that a top mounted one would be better in terms of having a lot less pipe work. :thumbup:

Roger is right, however the likelyhood that you would see a rise in tempreature would only show under great strain. (flat out up a long drag with a lot of weight on Etc) and the removal of heat from the air going in would also have a cooling effect.

The purpose of the cooling system is not just to stop overheating but to control the heat.

An engine cooling system works in the sectors

1) Below temp - This is when starting and waming up, the engine is set to restrict flow to get heat into the engine using a thermostat.
2) Running temp - The engine regulates the heat up and down
3) Over temp - The engine does everything to cool but once its in this sector other problems happen quickly

The thermostat, and viscous coupling do the adjustments for 1,
The design, flow, waterways, size of rad, rad cap pressure, keep it in 2, (if you get my drift).
It should never get into 3

If you see a car with an electric fan you will find the fan is never on all the time, in fact often people think it never comes on, it switches off to get back up to running temp and on to cool down.
So in this case its more likely that an engine wants more heat than to be cooled. The system is designed to keep you in sector 2, too cold is no good as is to hot.

Remember that we are dealing with coolant that under pressure so boils at a higher temptature.

Removing a thermostat (or it sticking open) will keep the engine so cold (in sector 1) that people will moan that the heater does not work. A thermostat sticking closed, or a the system losing pressure (rad cap or a leak) and the temp will shoot up and in the case of a 2.4 thats into sector 3.

In the case of the cooling problems that 2.4's are renowned for, this is because one of the controls has failed (Pressure, Thermostat, Blockage etc) and its been into sector 3 and this has caused other problems (Blown gasket, cracked head). This then add huge amounts to the system that it cannot control and Bang.

Interested to know if you have noticed any changes since fitting the intercooler.

was it from a 2.8 pajero?

I'm working on this at the moment, also have 2 batteries, but reckon it will sit across the top of the rocker - more or less where the turbo pipe sits currently.

had a look at front mount, but as my 78 has aircon - the rad sits in front of the main rad - i dont want to add another heat producing source that could affect the main rad - also, I intend to add a transmission oil cooler and I want that at the base of the aircon rad - so a front mount intercooler will have some lengthy pipes - can see lag becoming a possibility.

Pete

Back