Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 wheel refurb?

tintinmt

Country Flag
uk
1989 LJ70 in the UK.
The wheels are a little jaded by rust and I have started wondering about how to refurbish them.
I am keen to keep the original wheels rather than buy after market replacements.
The centres seem to be in good condition, but the rims / barrels are affected by rust. The back faces have a lot of surface corrosion.
Does anyone know how these wheels were constructed? Are the surfaces that appear to be chrome actually chrome?
Has anyone successfully refurbished a set? What did you do?
Thanks in advance. Picture attached.

Attachments

• 2021-03-04 15.39.18.jpg
    2021-03-04 15.39.18.jpg
    475.8 KB · Views: 56
Have you tried polishing them with metal polish? Possibly fine wire wool? There are a few videos on youtube about refurbing old chrome. I have wheels like this that will need doing , although they look a lot worse than that!

i saw a video on youtube... scrubbing the wheels with aluminium foil dipped in coca cola.

it does actually work. long tim since i did mine though and they're looking tatty again.

yours look much tidier. i have been thinking about shot blasting them and getting them powder coated.

good lucl

1614884716060.png

Its not for chrome but might be worth a try ?

I have a set of these for my 60 which will require a bit of a scrub up .

I did experiment with some rubbing but the corrosion in the rim parts will not allow a job good enough for my liking. I took them to a local alloy wheel repairer who was confused by the finish. He pointed out that the rear faces were very rusty (no silver), the rims quite rusty, but the centres were all quite clean. He speculated that each area had a different composition or finish. He was looking at blasting them to remove the finish before painting, but was concerned that the finish would ether not come off or would only partially come off.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
No I'd imagine they will before sale

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be interested if they are half decent

Once I get them off I'll check them over. If there ok I promise you first dibs. 3 are definitely ok. Not taken the one off from underneath yet.

Back