Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ71 injectors, replacement

Spoke to my engine man today, got all the parts and they are about to re-assemble it :D

I don't know much about engines as to what i would expect t be worn.

He said the engine was worn out, but the main things were the bores, and the crank was very badly worn :(, is this normal?

Asked him about replacing the injectors, got the impression there was nothing wrong with them, so why replace them, ok with me less money to spend :thumbup:

How much do you trust him? The "worn out" statement could mean anything. If the bores are badly worn you'd be burning a lot of oil and be down on power. If the crank is badly worn you'd have very low oil pressure and possibly a knocking engine (what a mechanic might call "Endy"). Also why did he say the injectors were OK? Did he do a spray pattern test? My suspicious hackles are raised.

Every one seems to be suspicious on here :D

The truck was burning loads of oil, chucking it out of the exhaust/oil filler cap and i think the oil pressure was a little low, gauge never got above half, she was tired and worn out.

I have had an engine from him before, and so has my Dad, infact my Dads kit car is still going with no problems some years later :thumbup:

I have no reason not to trust him, he is an older guy, one of the old school :clap:

"Every one seems to be suspicious on here "
I think its because many have or know of those who have suffered bad experience in the hands of a third party paid to do a job that has not done it correctly, and then suffered the resulting consequences. Particularly main stealerships and the like spring to mind, who now seem incapable of fixing anything, and prefer to simply remove and replace.

Many on here do there own maintenance and know how to fix things.

Being old school i expect your engine fella knows his stuff. And if you trust him thats fine.

Good luck!!

It takes less than a minute to test an injector. They look at the spray pattern and the pressures. If the spray pattern is stuffed then it's new tips but if it's only the pressures then it's a bit of labour and some twiddling.

With the engine out, it wouldn't take any effort to have them tested. If the engine is in a bit of a state and is going to get sorted then I'd get the injectors tested. My local chap did them for nothing. I don't quite know how your mechanic would suspect that there's nothing wrong with them. You can't tell by looking. Well, if they are completely knackered you can tell perhaps, but mine looked very clean and tidy. When I had them tested, the fuel simply poured out of them. The engine ran fine, but smoked terribly. New tips is a cost, yes, but better you know for sure by getting them checked.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
1,000rpm = 25mph in 5th gear.

100,000 miles = 4,000,000 revolutions.

Injector fires every 2 revs, so each injector fires 2,000,000 times.

But,

You are not in 5th gear all the time, so add on 50% (approx.) and we have 3,000,000 little squirts.

Now think on this.

If you gnashed your teeth 3,000,000 times------

Would you need a few fillings?

Get new tips, you know it makes sense.

Roger

Just to drop a note, the company on watchdog tonight was "Complete Engine Solutions Ltd", Not the company i used "Engine Solutions Ltd"

Got me blinkin worried, phew :D

Now i understand the caption at the top his website, thought it a little odd.

It also explains why its been a little difficult to get hold of him and why he sounded a little stressed, poor bloke :cry:

Got her back from the engine man today.

Got home and there she was on the drive :D :D :D :D

Not driven more than a couple of miles as yet, but from initial impressions it seems fine, much quieter and smoother, no smoke :mrgreen:

From the invoice he appears to have replaced the oil pump which would explain the oil pressure being higher and more responsive.

Now i have got to run it in :thumbdown:

I didn't :thumbdown: , but i am :thumbup: , i have decided to get it done properly when i can afford it with Colchester Fuel Injection, there top dogs at that stuff.

Only problem i have now is it appears one of my batteries may be knackered, i don't know much about it but i guess a tired engine has less compression so a new one will require more power to turn it over.

Going to check it out at the weekend.

Back