Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ71 rear diff lock, not working, next project.

JimmyLJ71

My LJ71 has rear diff lock.

It has never worked since i have had the Truck, i have been told that all the electrics are ok, so my next project is to remove the actuator and refurbish it.

Has any one ever taken one apart before?

What is likely to be wrong?

Do i need to drain the oil out of the diff before commencing?

Any tips?

JimmyLJ71 said:
My LJ71 has rear diff lock.

It has never worked since i have had the Truck, i have been told that all the electrics are ok, so my next project is to remove the actuator and refurbish it.

Has any one ever taken one apart before?

What is likely to be wrong?

Do i need to drain the oil out of the diff before commencing?

Any tips?

There are 7 pages (14 sides) of info in the Toyota w/shop manual that relate to troubleshooting, removal and replacement of the diff. lock.

If you want me to send you copies, drop me a pm with your address.

Roger

The manual (RM183e) that has the diff stuff in is available for download on www.landcruiserparts.co.uk

£5.50 for 1100 pages, everything but the engine which is a seperate one

But Rogers is a better offer :D

if you look on my previous thread about putting a toyota e locker into a lj70 rear axle you,ll see a wiring diagram.theres only six wires to the actual locker and related limit switches,but if yours is controlled via an ecu then theres additional control wiring there.The locker has to be in its locked position to remove and obviously drain the diff oil first.i,d be tempted to bypass the ecu if you have one and wire it up on a simple dpdt switch to check if the actual motor is working.if the motor isnt engaging the locker and you still want to remove the diff theres a little cover on the side held in with 2 bolts.if you remove this you can get a screwdriver in there and manually force the locker across enough to pull it from the diff casing.i,d be surprised if the fault is at the locker as they,re very simple robust units

Many thanks :thumbup:

Seems a shame to have it and not use it because it don't work.

Jimmy.it looks like you,re not very far from me.if you,re unsure about the wiring just give us a call and pop over and i,l show you how to wire it up to test it
rik ( mob- 07930 946360)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks alot :thumbup: :thumbup:

I would really appreciate that.

I'm not doing it just yet, truck is away having a bit of welding done, both cills have started to go at the front of the rear wheel arches, also, a bit odd, one of the webs at the bottom of one the rear shocks has rotted, then the the dreaded MOT.

Just getting geared up with advice for when she comes back, hope to get back for next weekend.

Back