Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ73 1UZ build/repair in Dubai

Ako

Country Flag
australia
Hi all,

I found this forum through google, seems there is a lot more knowledge on these vehicles here than anywhere else I have seen. Then I found two x 1UZ-FE converts and had to sign up.

I have lived in Dubai for 15 years and just this week bought a LHD LJ73 which was originally imported from Germany. I have previously owned a 4.0 Wrangler, GQ 4.5 Patrol, GU 4.8 Patrol, 79 series 4.5L supercharged ute (pickup), Chevy 6.0 2500 HD and then Pajero (shogun) 3.8L.

We don't really drive diesel vehicles here so the previous owner converted the 73 to a Lexus LS400 1UZ-FE. These engines are cheap here and you can buy a complete one (less loom/ecu) for around 200 GBP. Not sure how that compares to UK prices.

Going to work out how to post pics on this forum in a short while....

Cheers,

Mick

Reactions: Ben
main (2).jpeg
main.jpeg
main (4).jpeg

Last pics were the for sale ad. Took it for a test drive and was happy enough. Told him to put the hard top on (FRP) and then made the transfer. Important thing for me here was to have the engine cylinders in the registration. You cannot officially change the number of cylinders here. At least for expats like me. But this one had 8 cylinders in the official registration. So job done.

IMG_20161122_0853167.jpg
IMG_20161122_0853057.jpg

Reactions: Ben
Unlike most people who buy a used Toyota, mine was set up for Falcon hunting. So I still have a falcon perch on my extended centre console. Don't have pics of that yet. Will get some as it is an unusual modification. This is why the removable hard top was sought from Germany. The previous owner now has a chopped FJ cruiser with soft top.

I also got a canvas soft top, and the tube bars to support it. And a second set of rims/tyres. It came with a set of Nissan Patrol steel rims with some shitty Kendra tyres in 16", but also another set of alloys with BFG in 31 x 10.5 in R15. It also has a water tank behind the seats, with a water heater. No use here in Dubai but when hunting in Northern Iran it would come in handy.

The list of things that need to be replaced or repaired in extensive, but the main bits work for now. Air conditioning is one item I need to sort, there is a leak in the system as I already had it charged and the gas leaked within 6 hours. AC is important here as winter we get around 20C and summer is 50C or so.

Nice truck Ako, I'm with you on the AC, you'll have to get that sorted before April :lol:

I had a spell living in Qatar some years ago and I'm there at the moment just for a week.

Now is a good time of year, at about 25C or so, actually it rained today for a good 40 seconds or so!

Keep the photos coming, we love pics, and I'm looking forward to reading about your trips to Iran.

So I have been trying to sort out bits and pieces each night after work, and tonight tried to get the wheels/tyres from my Pajero onto the cruiser. Sounds simple but went pear shaped.

IMG_20161124_2215291.jpg

These are my Lenso rims with Yokohama Geolanders on. But the centre was too tight and couldn't get on the hub. But they are Landcruiser/Patrol rims and should fit unless somehow a 73 series Euro spec is different to every other 6 bolt Toyota.

So then I tried the spare set of 15" rims which I picked up from original owner last night

IMG_20161124_2234192.jpg

And the rims fitted but the 21mm wheel nuts I have don't fit in the alloys. Only a few odd 19mm AF nuts fit, and I didn't have enough. Nothing is open tomorrow as it is a holy day of prayer for those inclined, so many by Saturday I can sort something out.

Front hubs have the auto pneumatic things replaced, now manual locking hubs.

I also bought some aluminium angle to start looking at a front bumper, I need to mount my 2 x 240 and 2x 170 light force lights somewhere.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Nice rig you have there. First thing I noticed was the patrol rims. I had a set on my last 4x4, an Isuzu mu. I'm going to put a set on my 70 when I start the project. Similar looking style to standard landcruiser rim but I prefer 16"

Really like the 73s, yours looks really solid, nice! I would love if my LJ70 had a bit more space in the rear. The 1UZFE seems like the perfect motor for the 70s, plenty of power, torque is always there, compared to what I'm used to. £200 for a 1UZFE is dirt cheap in my opinion! Ebay normally in the £600-£800 range now for one, but I've not looked a great deal. I'd like to have a 4.3vvti someday, maybe!

So I was hoping to be able to talk about how the cruiser drives in the desert, as I went out with my friend this arvo. Unfortunately the water pump crapped itself and dumped all the coolant down the blacktop on the way.

So after filling up the coolant and creeping into the small town called Lahbab that was only 10km, we stopped to see if any mechanic was open. Nothing was open, apparently the place we found only opens at 7pm. Whilst poking around I did find this out the side of the shop :

IMG_20161126_1643567.jpg

Whoever owned this one also lost their water pump, it sits between the cam gears and is driven by the cambelt. This seems to be a newer model with the vvti.

So for the first time ever, I had the indignity of getting towed home from the desert. Something normally reserved for Jeeps :)

IMG_20161126_1712460.jpg

IMG_20161126_1713166.jpg

So after riding home with the recovery driver, I sulked for a while, then found a thread on the internet on how to do a replacement :

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/engine/timingbelt.html

Then I pulled these bits off :

IMG_20161126_2330189.jpg

And ended up with this for the night :

IMG_20161126_2308408.jpg

Once I took the cambelt off, I could shake the water pump pulley up and down and also in and out.

So on payday I will get a new water pump, timing belt, serpentine belt, distributor caps, rotors (both worn and one cracked), thermostat, and possibly plugs and leads. Also probably replace the A/C compressor, because the A/C was not working.

I also need to find some manuals and wiring diagrams. There were wires coming off the oil filter housing not connected to anything. I think this might be a oil temperature gauge.

Also the A/C compressor had unused wires coming of the back, not sure what they are for as the wire for the clutch engagement was at the front.

Hey Ako, nice one. Hope you manage to sort out the small issues. What size tyres are you using on the 15" rims? I am looking to change my tyres but want to keep the original Toyota rims. Wondering what the largest size I can go to. Am thinking of 32" BFG AT KO2.

Hi Tommi, they are 31 x 10.5 R15s. They fit with ease, pretty sure I could get 33s on there no issues. I am not on original springs though, not sure how much higher than stock I am. The front is definitely sitting higher than the rear.

Since mine was originally a turbo diesel, I think I have the 4.88 diff ratios. It means I rev like hell on the highway though. Accidentally lit up the rear just coming out of the petrol station the other day.

Not sure if I will stick with 15s or go to 16s. Not many vehicles come with 15s anymore, tyres can be harder to find.

Great thread Mick! :thumbup:

Love your 73! :clap:

I must admit I was a bit confused the other day when you said on one of the other threads that you had a left hand drive 73 from Germany, but with the Aussie flag below your name, I presumed you were down here, but I know its not possible to import left hookers here, unless their really old! :think:

So what plans do you have for it apart from fixing it up and fitting some LightForce lights? :icon-biggrin:

Umm, apart from lights for night driving and trying to get a bit more out of the engine not so much.

The only think apart from general repairs would be better suspension, maybe some coilovers with progressive coils and remote resi's and some hydraulic bumpstops.

Some limited slip diffs or lockers are on the maybe list.

Don't know if I am going to break these diffs or not, might have to throw some patrol or HD landcruiser diffs in.

I did manage to break the front diff on my 79 series, found an unusually deep ditch driving too fast....

I must admit I was a bit confused the other day when you said on one of the other threads that you had a left hand drive 73 from Germany, but with the Aussie flag below your name, I presumed you were down here,

I left Oz 16 years ago because my girlfriend ran out of visa. My company transferred me to Dubai and then about 6 months later she broke up with me. If it's got tits or wheels it is going to give you trouble :tonguewink:

Got the water pump out this evening. There were two studs that I missed in the dark last night.

IMG_20161127_2047460.jpg

Only thing I can't get off is the plastic shroud around the crank snout. Has 4 x 10mm bolt heads and three came right out. The last one is in a recess and I can't get anything to grip. The hole is too small for my bolt head extractor kit, so I can only think of an ezy-out. But all my drills are too long and are clashing with the cross member. I borrowed my neighbour's drill and will have a crack at it later. I think this is the first time these parts have seen fresh air since the engine was in the factory, not sure why this one is such a bugger.

IMG_20161126_2309580.jpg

I also searched the internet today to see where the engine serial number will be. I found it right where they said it would be behind the water pump

1UZ 0313771.jpg

The people here at the parts stores won't look up any parts without a VIN. Of course I only have the LC VIN and not the donor LS400 VIN. I am hoping with the engine number they might be able to sort it out.

Will only get to the shops on Wednesday, hope I can get everything I need in one shot.

Bought some RTV sealant and a seal puller tool today. Didn't know this tool existed until I saw it recommend on Ben's 280 (and counting) page thread. Trying to get all my ducks in a row.

I have no means of getting the crank pulley bolt tight as the engine will spin over. I used the bush mechanic way to get it off with a breaker bar wedged on a piece of wood on the LHS wheel arch.

Toyota has a SST tool for both removal and replacement of the bolt, but I don't have a SST tool budget.

I made a similar tool using a plate cutoff before with an angle grinder to do my clutch on my KTM, but I am trying to work smarter not harder so I designed a universal crank pulley/clutch basket holder in my lunch break.

No idea if it will work yet.... comments welcome.

puller.jpg

The internal clearance hole is 50mm which will clear even the 22mm socket required for my crank. There are 3 pairs of 55mm long slots, each pair is 6mm, 8mm and then 10mm. The 6 pairs of 10mm holes let me rotate the disc compared to the arm, if there is something blocking the angle I need.

The arm is a 750mm long 2" SCH 40 pipe (approx 4mm wall thickness).

Will get the two end plates water jet cut by someone who owes me some favours.

Nice work !:icon-biggrin:

Not sure if your tool will work or not, but fingers crossed for you. :thumbup:

Just found my first petrol receipt. It is 76 litres for 370 km. So that's 20.5 l/100 km or 13.7 mpg (imperial gallon).

Bit thirsty but the engine is revving high at 120 kph which is the speed limit here. Might get a bit better with new plugs, leads and rotors/caps.

Last edited:
Do we even want to know how cheap the fuel is there! :shifty:

Do we even want to know how cheap the fuel is there! :shifty:

It's 1.7 AED per litre now. Which is around 62 Aussie cents or 37 pence. :) Diesel is more than petrol.

Drove the the next Emirate across this evening to drop all my broken/worn parts at the shop. They will have all the parts ready for me tomorrow. He said if I replace my AC compressor I should also replace the condenser. Not an expert on AC systems so I took his word for it and added to the list.

IMG_20161129_2159160.jpg

I also 'aged' my engine. I saw on a forum that the year is printed on the spark plug leads. It is a 1992 model. I was quite impressed that the leads and everything else on the engine seemed to last 25 years without replacement. Mr Toyota makes them to last a long time.

On the way back I stopped to help my friend wiring up his new ARB Intensity LED lights.

IMG_20161129_2349163.jpg

This is his vehicle in the daylight, some members here might like it as they are not available in all markets. Toyota's designation is FZJ71L which is the 4.5L straight six petrol engine. This is 2006 model which is the last year before the headlight/grill update. It only has 30,000 km on it and is in good nick.

15032266_10154923039213296_4092133698921245348_n.jpg

So I hope to get my parts tomorrow and have everything back together by Saturday so I can actually get to the desert.

Last edited:
Back