1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LJ73 1UZ build/repair in Dubai

Ako Nov 24, 2016

1. goodoldboy

goodoldboy Well-Known Member

good thread Mick , I'm looking forward to the next post.I had my heart set on a coll spring 70 before I bought the 95 but they were like rocking horse shit in the UK.Mich better the a overweight 80....IMHO. of course

2. Ako

Ako New Member I am in australia

Thanks mate. Will try to keep the progress going....

Lol, you might be opening a can of worms regarding the 80 :)

3. goodoldboy

goodoldboy Well-Known Member

can of worms? more like rolling a smoke grenade into the tent....

4. clivehorridge

clivehorridge Well-Known Member Supporter Guru I am in romania

Garage:
    Map
    WTF? :wtf: :angry-screaming:

goodoldboy likes this.
  5. Ako

So after a bit of an interlude I think I am sorted. Pretty much everything in front of the block has been replaced.

Will eventually post some of those details up if anyone is interested.

After it was all stitched back together it was running fine. I put all the covers back on an went for a test drive all good.

Went and got my wallet (with licence) and was about to go for a proper test drive. It started firing on 4 cylinders and sounded a bit like a WRX boxer engine. Got my automotive multimeter out and found out only the right coil was firing (my right, engines left). The 1UZ uses a cross over spark system where each coil fires 2 cylinders on each bank.

So it has taken me a few evenings and some frustrated web research to try and work out what was happening. I was sure I had connected all the plugs properly and everything was where it should be.

Anyway tonight I was frustrated and just decided to spray all the connections with contact cleaner. This is when I found the 2 wire plug to drive the coil was not quite right. I noticed the pins inside were offset

IMG_20161222_0052446.jpg

Tried to line up the pins when I reinstalled the coil and they physically popped out the back of the plastic housing

IMG_20161222_0054563.jpg

So I ended up throwing the housing to the shit house and connecting the pins directly to the male plug.

Even the female pins were a bit loose so a push with a small screw driver to tighten up the connection was required.

After this I fired it up and all was good. Went for a little sideways test drive on the dirt road behind my house and the old girl was a strong as ever. A huge sense of relief came over me which was long overdue after stressing about this for a long time.

I guess an electrical issue is like losing your car keys, you always find it in the last place you look.

Anyway I am supposed to be going to the desert on Saturday with two other 70s, will try to make everything fool proof by then. Maybe just add some heat shrink to the terminals and cable tie/tape it all together as I won't be able to get a proper housing until I order it online somewhere. Local dealers here would only sell me a whole loom going by previous experience.

6. Ben

Ben Well-Known Member Guru I am in australia

Map
    Great work finding the fault. :thumbup:

I'm dreading fault finding on mine! :icon-rolleyes:

Looking forward to some 70's desert pics! :icon-twisted:

7. sunnysingh

sunnysingh New Member

Lovely looking car mate.

You said your previous car was a 79 series V8, how was that out of curiosity? i'm currently in the market looking for one.

8. Ako

Sorry I live in Middle East and we only get petrol engines here. So it was the 4.5L inline six (1FZ-FE).

Never been in the V8 but would like to one day.

Don't like the adverts? Become a supporter