Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Lj78 auto

Ash Awbery

Country Flag
great_britain
Hi guys,
Having a couple of issues with my gearbox now changing gear properly (hanging on too long and not changing into over drive)

Any common faults? Hoping not to have to get it rebuilt.

Planning to start with changing the oil, is it dextron 3 or 2?

Any info would be great

I had a similar problem years ago with a pajero exceed I had. I cursed so much about the box and sold the truck (other reasons aswell). It was when i had it sold i was told i should have flushed the box and i would have had a different car altogether. If I was you I'd flush the box and put fresh oil in and see how it is first

It may be worth checking the cable from the throttle linkage is free (if it has one), as the 80 ones get sticky sometimes.

Thanks I was going to do an oil change and flush anyway and I might pull the sump off and check the filter.

I will take a look at the linkage as I hadn’t thought of that, it does go through a lot of mud and water then get parked up until next time so wouldn’t surprise me if it was seized!

If you get the oil from a motor factors they will be able to tell you what oil is the current recommendation. Or contact Morris oils Shrewsbury who will more than likely tell you straight away and be able to send you some though it may be more cost effective to buy locally. Morris's is an excellent independent company with superb products.

Back