Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ78 Ball Joint Gasket

Keith11a

Hi Folks

I would appreciate some advice on a problem I have with my LJ78 Japanese import "H" reg. Went into my garage the other day after several weeks and found a small pool of transmission fluid under the near side front wheel. I'm guessing that the gasket around the ball joint on the end of the axle has been breached. Is this a fair diagnosis? I took the wheel off and the fluid seems to be running down the back of the plate behind the wheel and is not touching the disc. Secondly, how difficult/expensive is this to fix? Thirdly, is there a "work-round" i.e. could I fill the ball joint with the type of thick grease Land Rover supply for some of their models? And lastly, someone has mentioned to me a gasket repair product you just poor into the transmission fluid which seals any gaps - has anyone else heard of this and tried it out?

Many thanks for any words of wisdom.

Keith

Firstly, welcome to the forum.

I assume, when you mention transmission fluid, that you mean an EP oil. If so, then the only place it can come from is the front diff. If you check the level and colour of the diff.oil you should find that it may be a bit low. It may also look a little like thin grease, which is an indication that as well as oil leaking into the steering knuckle, grease is leaking from the knuckle back into the diff. oil. The standard lubricant, by the way, for the knuckle is a Molybdenum Disulphide Lithium based grease. For the wheel bearings use a standard high melting point grease, often marketed as LM.

The transfer of the oil into the knuckle is a result of the failure of the axle shaft oil seal. To replace the seal requires the complete stripping of the hub and it's associated parts. This is not difficult, and apart from a spring balance and a socket for the wheel bearing locating nuts, you wont need any special tools. You will however need a decent tool kit and a basic knowledge of how to use it.

The knuckle and wheel bearings, if required, are best obtained from a bearing stockist. Ditto also the axle hub oil seal. Discounts for these items are available if the stockist is convinced you are trade. It's up to you to how you do this. The steering knuckle seals can be obtained from Milners. These are genuine Toyota parts but at discount prices. The axle shaft oil seal is best obtained from a Toyota dealer. Standard oil seals from any other source can leak from day one.

If you do the job correctly (the term "Oh it'll be Ok just wont do) and stick rigourously to the various setting, the completed work will last for many years.

Roger

There's no chance its brake fluid is there?

If not, follow Rogers as usual excellent advice.

Pete

Hi Guys. That's great, I really appreciate the time you have taken to answer my questions and provide that excellent link to the step-by-step guide with super photos.

Best Regards

Keith

Back