1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LJ78 Build Thread

Ben Feb 6, 2017

1. Paddler Ed

Paddler Ed Well-Known Member I am in australia

Garage:
    Map
    Looks good as always Ben.

Glad that you've found the solution to the Top Tether challenge - it'll make it much easier for transporting Sam. I found one in the boot floor of the 4Runner a while ago when I was doing some stuff to it.

2. AndyCook

AndyCook Well-Known Member I am in scotland

Garage:
    Map
    Nice work Ben, looks very neat and professional

3. StarCruiser

StarCruiser Well-Known Member Guru I am in uk

Garage:
    Map
    Good progress Ben. I too have utilised ally for the drawer sides but combined with ply front, base and rear. But then I've got my custom runners underneath as they only then take up one lot of space.

4. Gary820

Gary820 Well-Known Member I am in great_britain

Garage:
    Map
    Nice work on the drawers, I like the bags for cooking items, been trying to store stuff more efficiently in mine and might look into that.

5. Victor

Victor Member

Map
    Yeah, i too found out that the factory 4.88 diffs have a thinner ring gear when i tore mine apart and it wouldn't go back together with the new 5.29 gears.. Solution in my case was a V6 casing, much much larger bearings.. But! This only applies to the rear, front high pinions is fine, was a brease installin the 5.29's there!

In your case though, get a shim made to make up for the thinner ring gear..

6. Ben

Ben Well-Known Member Guru I am in australia

Map
    Thanks guys. :thumbup:

Yeah its a real pain! :thumbdown:

I'm trying to source 4:8 ratio gears for a KZJ70, but its looking like I will have to source them from the US. :shifty:

I want to try and avoid using the thinner 4:8 gears because they must be weaker, being so much thinner! :think:

7. Pat

Pat Well-Known Member I am in new_zealand

Map
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg I like your cast iron pots&pans.I have just started using ours again and they are beauty.the weather in both our countries is unreliable now,hot and bloody wet,flooding all over the place.it's affecting our firewood gathering and tractor
    Work on the property.a few photos of our first house? And some tree felling.
    My toolkit always carries some no 8 wire and fencing pliers,great in an emergency.

Ben likes this.
  8. Victor

Victor Member

Map
    I dont know really.. I've put my 30 year old gears through ALOT of shit, and all that has gone bad was 2 teeth that the very tip broke off on the crown-wheel..

Ben likes this.
  9. Ben

Ben Well-Known Member Guru I am in australia

Map
    A small update.................

I added a strap to secure the jerry can in its mount and screwed the mount into position.

IMG_6202.jpg

IMG_6203.jpg

IMG_6204.jpg

And I screwed the piece of checker plate down along the edge of the false floor.

IMG_6205.jpg

IMG_6206.jpg

I repaired the flogged out bottom shock mounting holes on the KZJ78 rear axle.

Marked what needed removing for the repair washers to be welded in.

IMG_6215.jpg

Die-ground the holes out.

IMG_6216.jpg

And tapped the washers into place.

IMG_6217.jpg

Then TIG welded them into the axle.

Few tacks first.

IMG_6218.jpg

Followed by a full weld.

IMG_6220.jpg

I picked up some goodies from work! :dance:

A 40 litre fridge slide and a power shower. :icon-cool:

IMG_6282.jpg

The fridge slide fitted perfectly into the hole.

IMG_6283.jpg

IMG_6285.jpg

IMG_6284.jpg

I screwed it down into position.

IMG_6286.jpg

IMG_6293.jpg

IMG_6294.jpg

IMG_6295.jpg IMG_6296.jpg

IMG_6297.jpg

My drawer latches arrived from China.

IMG_6229.jpg

IMG_6230.jpg

I wasnt hugely impressed with the quality of them! They were super cheap but the ebay listing said they are metal, when the casing and knob is in fact plastic. :icon-rolleyes:

I decided to give them a go anyway.

Marked where to drill the hole.

IMG_6231.jpg

And drilled it out.

IMG_6232.jpg

And screwed the lock on.

Knob in is the lock position.

IMG_6287.jpg

Then when pressed it pops out, unlocks and the knob can be used to open the drawer with.

IMG_6288.jpg

IMG_6289.jpg

I marked the second hole but decided against drilling the hole and fitting it as Im just not happy with the lock.

IMG_6292.jpg

I've ordered a much better quality one from a place in Australia who sell caravan/campervan fittings.

It will fit and mount through the same hole I put in the first drawer and if it proves to be as good as I suspect it will I will order another 2. :shifty:

I wasnt happy with the indicators in the bullbar as they looked quite dated.

IMG_6298.jpg

IMG_6299.jpg

So I changed them for LED side light and indicator ones.

IMG_6300.jpg

IMG_6301.jpg

Then with my QLD registration running out next week, I registered it in Victoria and got new number plates.

I just paid for 6 months as I'm hoping within the next 6 months to get this on club/historic reg. :icon-cool:

IMG_6302.jpg

Lexi approved.

IMG_6304.jpg

IMG_6307.jpg

I still havent got the replacement ring and pinion so the rear diff is still no closer to being fixed. :thumbdown:

Hoping to get one ASAP. :pray:

Thinking I will buy the alluminium tube and mesh next week and build the load barrier. :icon-cool:

6 weeks to go until its maiden High Country trip, so I should still be able to get everything done ready for the trip. :think:

Then work on this one should almost come to an end and this vehicle can start being used regularly for trips and camping and I can concentrate on getting my LJ70 finished. :icon-biggrin:

clivehorridge, doyle61, Pat and 3 others like this.
  10. clivehorridge

clivehorridge Well-Known Member Supporter Guru I am in romania

Garage:
    Map
    I hope you have more luck than me with the LED side/indicates lamps Ben.

Mine worked fine for a year. Now the side-light on one side has stopped working :icon-rolleyes:

I’ve checked the wiring connections and all is well, but still no joy.

Looks like I’ll be ordering another pair to replace them.

Problem is, you by cheap and get cheap, and IME, when you buy expensive, you still get cheap. :lol:

Don't like the adverts? Become a supporter