Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ78 price?

Tractionman

Country Flag
england
Hi All, not been on here for quite some time but have kept up with some good reading.
My 1992 lj78 2l-te has now succumbed to the dreaded head gasket/ cracked head syndrome after 13 years of careful ownership. It still starts/runs with some white smoke initially and within approx half an hour temp gauge rises and starts pumping frothy coolant into overflow tank which then fills up and dumps it. At standstill if I increase the revs the stock gauge comes down to normal?
My question is what is it's worth.
I have today sorn it with dvla as unable to drive to mot test which expires in few days.
Lacquer peeling off horizontal surfaces, roof, bonnet, tops of front wings etch, everything working, no rot, body very minimal minor scratches/dings, there is electric sunroof on this one which I don't think all have, Toyota 2 battery system alloy sumpguard and bull bar.
Interior and seats (7) with headrests excellent, (covers on since owned) good tyres, original deep dish alloys (5) need refurbing, towbar twin electrics.
That's about it with my sales patter, but what is it worth as complete vehicle?
Thanks chaps.
John

As the 78's are getting scarcer it would be great for an enthusiast to buy it as dare I say a breaker would snap it up and offer a low price and make a profit with one less available for the future!

Is it a manual?

If you have a space keep it. They'll be worth much more in 5-8 years!

Not worth an awful lot really, due to the laquer issues and the cylinder head (a new one with bots, belt, etc will be around £500 all in).

Where are you based?

Thanks guys, it's auto with the wide body and in Bournemouth. I have been looking at replacing it anyway due to age and needing a bit more grunt and have costed repairs but can't really build much enthusiasm, considering it will still be an old timer only drivable. Typical cruiser, 100% reliable never let me down, owes me absolute zero and time to move on.
Yes I have got room to keep it along with 4 wheel trailer, caravan and other half's car, - with her approval.....oh and a colorado when I find one.
Hanging on to it may be the way to go, and parts for these are crazy. Deffo won't be going to breakers !

Thanks to all those that have enquired, but for now I am keeping it until further thought goes in to my dilemma.
I have got room to keep it as a whole and I don't need the sale to put towards a prado/collie.
I could put on eBay to maybe achieve a very good price with a reserve, but what price and what reserve this needs more thought again!
I have made lots of enquiries/pricing of used parts etc, and it seems it is worth more dead than alive in some repects (on paper at least) and as iwan suggested it may be advantageous in the future.
I cannot find one for sale alike to compare prices and the ones that run, some seem in ropey condition or prices wildly fluctuate anyway, even lj70/71s.
There is one on the bay at present been on for a while, and the price, eye watering - never ??
I compiled a list on used parts for mine, as far as able from used 4x4 parts dealer, taking into account that some of those parts were also used on early 2.4 2l-te surf 's. so some pick and mix between the two.
When totalled up, minus any vat came to a shade over 4k,
and that does not include every single part or bigger items like axle/suspension/ brake parts, or rolling chassis, body, body panels, wheels/tyres ...you get the picture.
Now I realise to achieve prices anywhere like I have found + I would have to break it and could have a mess in my yard for quite some time depending on market, - not many about, sales slow etc and assuming that every single part is saleable or up to buyers expectations.
I may find I have a job giving it away !! Lol
Thanks,
John

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi
are you still want to sale the LJ78 please

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill, I have still got it, but will not be putting up for sale while covid is still with us.
I have now moved on to a 120, not quite so agricultural, but still miss the old girl.
Never had such a reliable and useful vehicle that outlasted everything, and I doubt the 120 will have such longevity.
I have replaced the head, water pump and all belts, oil, filter, etc, in the interim, so it is now a runner with no issues, but have still not put in for mot. Thanks for your interest. Cheers.

Hi Junaid, no not at present. I will see how the market goes as and when.
All I can say is, it wont be silly money, but nor will it be a giveaway job either, considering condition and what it is, with cylinder head etc all done now. Yes there are issues with the lacquer, but some I have seen in the past, are bashed about on every corner and rotting. If that was a choice, I know what I'd have.
Someone stated a figure of £500 for replacement head, bolts, belts - for chinese maybe, way out. Good quality parts from well known, reputable sources have been used, and I have been meticulous with reassembly, not just thrown it together on the cheap to make a fast buck. Anything else needed during that was replaced as per a previous post by me.
That was done with the intention of me continuing to use, then the 120 came up, a few more comforts and refinements, but not neccessarily overall better. Swings and roundabouts. Cheers.

Back