Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ78W Power and Transmission Issues

TheBrooder

Country Flag
kenya
I recently acquired a turbo-charged LJ78W Land Cruiser and discovered that it has a problem with loss of power and delayed gear shift from 3rd to 4th at high rpms. I took it to the repair shop and was informed that the engine had been changed and the wiring not done properly. After re-wiring, the problem still persisted and I was then advised I'd need a new ECU, or should opt to change out the auto transmission for a manual one.

Now, what I'd like to know is am I getting good advice here, because after researching online, I'm beginning to wonder if the problem is not with the solenoid or torque converter. I'd like to have a good idea, before I go back to the shop.

Normally its one of the 2 ECU's, there is the main one or it could be the smaller one that just controls the auto box.

Its very common for the capacitors to start leaking and cause problems.

There are companies around that can rebuild them but it might not be cheap.

For ultimate reliability fit a manual fuel pump so you can get rid of the main ECU and fit a manual box to do away with the auto ECU. You would probably find changing both of those would probably work out cheaper than trying to get the ECU's rebuilt/replaced.

I converted my LJ78 to manual fuel pump and havent looked back! All it needs is one ignition live wire to make it run! :icon-biggrin:

Normally its one of the 2 ECU's, there is the main one or it could be the smaller one that just controls the auto box.

For ultimate reliability fit a manual fuel pump so you can get rid of the main ECU and fit a manual box to do away with the auto ECU. You would probably find changing both of those would probably work out cheaper than trying to get the ECU's rebuilt/replaced.

I converted my LJ78 to manual fuel pump and havent looked back! All it needs is one ignition live wire to make it run! :icon-biggrin:
Thank you, @Ben Appreciate the great advice.

-------------

I have rebuilt a .50t oversize 3L to put in my 78W and along the way discovered I had to ditch the EFI pump for a manual. Much easier to adjust :) ... I also believe I have a Auto issue similar to the original post, have pulled the soleniods and checked voltage activation etc, appear fine. Did not think about any ECU issue so will have to hunt it down and check. Stay Safe out there!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well, I had the same problem. Practically the car used 2nd gear to start and never changed from 3rd to 4th.
The problem was solved in one afternoon. You need to drop the pan and change out the shift solenoids.
To find out what solenoid is broken, you should have a quick diagnoses.
If codes 62, 63 and 64 appear, there is an electrical malfunction in the solenoid. Causes due to mechanical failure, such as a stuck switch, will not appear.

You can check for OBD trouble codes here: http://www.troublecodes.net/toyota/ and there are many webpages where you can find them.

All the best!

Well, I had the same problem. Practically the car used 2nd gear to start and never changed from 3rd to 4th.
The problem was solved in one afternoon. You need to drop the pan and change out the shift solenoids.
To find out what solenoid is broken, you should have a quick diagnoses.
If codes 62, 63 and 64 appear, there is an electrical malfunction in the solenoid. Causes due to mechanical failure, such as a stuck switch, will not appear.

You can check for OBD trouble codes here: http://www.troublecodes.net/toyota/ and there are many webpages where you can find them.

All the best!
Thanks a lot. I'll try that out. I'm really glad I joined this forum. Lots of great advice from members for clueless guys like myself. :smiley:

Back